Need help on buying a gun

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I could use some help on pricing an 0.38 Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

I know of one that was made from a Dunop kit in the early 1980's. The person who built it had a professional quality wood shop. This wasn't a show piece rifle but was used for hunting and shooting matches. It has an octogonel barrel with deep grove riflings. There's not a lot of artistic carving on inlays or stuff like that but the quality of the Dunop kit and the workman ship are top rate. It's a fine rifle.

So my question. What do you think would be a fair offer for such a rifle? It's in good working condition, no rust, etc.

Actually this seems like a hunting rifle and not something used for throbbing erections and/or murdering Democrats.

I bet Leaningright can help. He seems to use guns for non-crazy stuff.

I could use some help on pricing an 0.38 Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

I know of one that was made from a Dunop kit in the early 1980's. The person who built it had a professional quality wood shop. This wasn't a show piece rifle but was used for hunting and shooting matches. It has an octogonel barrel with deep grove riflings. There's not a lot of artistic carving on inlays or stuff like that but the quality of the Dunop kit and the workman ship are top rate. It's a fine rifle.

So my question. What do you think would be a fair offer for such a rifle? It's in good working condition, no rust, etc.

I could help you with accessories for your outfit, but buying a gun is foreign territory for me.

Oh you have to ask the nuts, STY is busy talking about killing Democrats - can you wait till Billy gets on?
let's set the record straight. I don't care if you're democrat, republican, liberal, or conservative. anyone that attempts to enforce an unconstitutional law upon me will be shot.

The most I would pay is $400 if I were you. If it were ME i'd say $250, because I don't care for black powder guns. Unlike buying a car, beng 'used' doesn't necessarily affect price. Make sure to check for pitting in the rifling and a good crown (the last half-inch or so of rifling at the end of the barrel).

The most I would pay is $400 if I were you. If it were ME i'd say $250, because I don't care for black powder guns. Unlike buying a car, beng 'used' doesn't necessarily affect price. Make sure to check for pitting in the rifling and a good crown (the last half-inch or so of rifling at the end of the barrel).
I was thinking $300, including the possibles kit, so I was in the ball park, eh?

Actually in a case like this with the wood having aged properly for 30 years it looks great. No problems with the barrel. No pitting and the riflings are in great shape.

I was thinking $300, including the possibles kit, so I was in the ball park, eh?

Actually in a case like this with the wood having aged properly for 30 years it looks great. No problems with the barrel. No pitting and the riflings are in great shape.

You should pay $600 for making the poor guy deal with a dumbass from Ohio.

I wouldn't buy a muzzle loader under .50 caliber unless it is just a wallhanger.

30 years is nothing. I have guns that have been around for nearly 100 years and the wood on them is near flawless. If $300 is your max then that's your max. Like I said $400 is the most I would advise given the description you gave, but I'd have to see it in person. You can get even cheaper reproductions but the Dunop is one of the better ones.

That's a silly comment. If you know how to load a 0.38 muzzle loader it has the same affective killing range as a 0.50 cal and is probably more accurate.

In Mass it is ilegal to hunt deer with a .38 blackpowder rifle. Not considered deadly enough.

In Mass it is ilegal to hunt deer with a .38 blackpowder rifle. Not considered deadly enough.
Must be lousy shots up there. I dropped a 6 pointer from 50 yards with a 0.38 cal and a 90 grain load. Hit him dead center in the chest and dropped him instantly.

Then you should both play russian roulette with the nearest automatic. See who wins.
Uhhh....you don't see the flaw here. Russian roulette requires that you point the gun at your own head and pull the trigger. Now even if the gun is a fully loaded automatic, tell me, what good will it do shooting a Buckeye in the head?

Back