Need help on buying a gun

Man I should read on this forum more often. I definitely would have liked to talk on this subject. As to the cost...I'd say $300 tops. It is amazing that a black-powder from the 80's is in as good of shape as you describe. I have a couple that are but most folks don't know how to or don't take the time to properly care for their black powder guns. As to caliber, the least caliber that one is allowed to hunt with legally here in OK is .45. I have often wanted to get a .32 for squirrel hunting but never took the plunge. I love to shoot authentic black powders. Hope you got your gun ok.

I could use some help on pricing an 0.38 Pennsylvania Long Rifle. I know of one that was made from a Dunop kit in the early 1980's. The person who built it had a professional quality wood shop. This wasn't a show piece rifle but was used for hunting and shooting matches. It has an octogonal barrel with deep grove riflings. There's not a lot of artistic carving on inlays or stuff like that but the quality of the Dunop kit and the workman ship are top rate. It's a fine rifle. So my question. What do you think would be a fair offer for such a rifle? It's in good working condition, no rust, etc.
You best measure your groove diameter and your bullet OD, because if they're the same the gun will blow up on you. Guaranteed, Mr. Ballistics expert. :)

Man I should read on this forum more often. I definitely would have liked to talk on this subject. As to the cost...I'd say $300 tops. It is amazing that a black-powder from the 80's is in as good of shape as you describe. I have a couple that are but most folks don't know how to or don't take the time to properly care for their black powder guns. As to caliber, the least caliber that one is allowed to hunt with legally here in OK is .45. I have often wanted to get a .32 for squirrel hunting but never took the plunge. I love to shoot authentic black powders. Hope you got your gun ok.
I know the guy who built this gun. He's a former combat Marine (Vietnam) and very meticulous by nature. Like I said he had his own shop he liked to tinker in and build things. He always cleaned and oiled his black powder rifles after each use and the kit he made it from was top of the line. I fired the gun previously when he brought it to the local long rifle club back in the early 90's and it was uncanny accurate. I'm not a good shot at all. I have amblyopia in my right eye and I'm right handed so I've had to learn to shoot left handed......which means I'm not a good shot but I was able to consistenly hit a sillouette at 100 yards and a light load with this gun. With a great deal of practice I can actually be a mediocre shot. The reason I'm asking about the pricing is the gentleman who owned this gun has passed away and I've been told they will have an estate sale. I want to be able to offer the family a fair price. I'll use this gun mostly for target shooting.

Uhhh I don't exactly understand your post but he's right. In fact if your round is the same OD as your riflings you'll probably not be able to chamber the round.

The throat of the barrel will be larger than the bore of the barrel. It acts as a funnel to force the bullet into the grooves so the bullet will seal completely and follow the groove twist to put the proper spin on the projectile.

The throat of the barrel will be larger than the bore of the barrel. It acts as a funnel to force the bullet into the grooves so the bullet will seal completely and follow the groove twist to put the proper spin on the projectile.

That'd be true with a breech loader, but not a muzzle loader.

Isn't DY an engineer? He claims you're all wrong, doesn't he?

Back