New $125 vodka is made with San Francisco FOG

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Cwackers, will you be buying a bottle or two?

California distillery Hangar 1 is behind the vodka, called Fog Point
Multiple fog catchers were used to collect fog water
The fog water was blended with local California wine
Distillery says vodka has 'elegant hints of pear, citrus, and honeysuckle'

3475A22C00000578-3602482-image-m-36_1463845792139.jpg

San Francisco fog has been used to produce a $125 vodka called Fog Point

3475DB0B00000578-3602482-image-a-37_1463845806118.jpg

Fog was collected with the help of fog catchers. The fog catchers were placed at Berkeley Hills, Outer Sunset, El Sobrante, and Sutro Tower

Cwackers, will you be buying a bottle or two?

California distillery Hangar 1 is behind the vodka, called Fog Point
Multiple fog catchers were used to collect fog water
The fog water was blended with local California wine
Distillery says vodka has 'elegant hints of pear, citrus, and honeysuckle'

3475A22C00000578-3602482-image-m-36_1463845792139.jpg

San Francisco fog has been used to produce a $125 vodka called Fog Point

3475DB0B00000578-3602482-image-a-37_1463845806118.jpg

Fog was collected with the help of fog catchers. The fog catchers were placed at Berkeley Hills, Outer Sunset, El Sobrante, and Sutro Tower

Interesting. I must admit I'm not familiar with this nor come across it. I've heard of hanger 1 and know they have multiple flavors but it's not something I hear people order a lot. I'll have to check it out.

Gross. I don't want to breathe Cali air, much less drink smog.

PS I hope they filter out the big chunks, at least.

So let's say this bit about fog is true, is it a good thing ?

H2O as a liquid in the air forms around a bit of something else. So at the heart of the trillions of bits of water vapor called fog are airborne bits of crap.
The thing that gives bigger hangovers from vodka is impurities in the water in the vodka.
So unless they take care to filter out the particulate in the fog water, it won't be good. And none of this even gets to thinking what these particles are. Could be mercury, shite, smoke or anything else.

But nevermind that, salute ! Enjoy.

So let's say this bit about fog is true, is it a good thing ?

H2O as a liquid in the air forms around a bit of something else. So at the heart of the trillions of bits of water vapor called fog are airborne bits of crap.
The thing that gives bigger hangovers from vodka is impurities in the water in the vodka.
So unless they take care to filter out the particulate in the fog water, it won't be good. And none of this even gets to thinking what these particles are. Could be mercury, shite, smoke or anything else.

But nevermind that, salute ! Enjoy.

Are you being serious, do you really think that something like mercury is present in fog? If I tell you that it is impossible, will you believe me?

Do understand how distillation works?

Actually, yes, since I do distill, myself. And I know that the impurities in the water make a huge difference in the final product. If you think that commercial distilleries extract 100% alcohol and leave all else behind, then you might want to read up a bit about the process. Distilling laboratory pure ethanol is the only process that reduces impurities to insignificant levels. Do you think that rum tastes different from whiskey because flavors are added after distillation? No. Rum tastes like rum because of the fermented molasses, and whiskey tastes like whiskey because of the fermented malted grains. Gin of course, gets it's flavor from juniper actually added into the distillation column.

Vodka, is in essence, the lack of any flavor. But that does not mean that it is distilled to pure alcohol and then watered down. Commercially, it is distilled typically to forty to seventy-five percent percent alcohol. That means that sixty to twenty-five percent of the final product contains the most volatile compounds from the original ferment liquid. Mostly water, of course, but many nasty compounds are distilled along with the water, especially in first liquid out of the still, but also in the tailings, or final output. If you an astute home distiller, there is nothing better than that middle portion coming out of a well run still. Commercial? Well, that depends a lot on the integrity of the distiller.

If you think that the water in the original ferment has no effect on the final product, then my question is, why smog?

Actually, yes, since I do distill, myself. And I know that the impurities in the water make a huge difference in the final product. If you think that commercial distilleries extract 100% alcohol and leave all else behind, then you might want to read up a bit about the process. Distilling laboratory pure ethanol is the only process that reduces impurities to insignificant levels. Do you think that rum tastes different from whiskey because flavors are added after distillation? No. Rum tastes like rum because of the fermented molasses, and whiskey tastes like whiskey because of the fermented malted grains. Gin of course, gets it's flavor from juniper actually added into the distillation column.

Vodka, is in essence, the lack of any flavor. But that does not mean that it is distilled to pure alcohol and then watered down. Commercially, it is distilled typically to forty to seventy-five percent percent alcohol. That means that sixty to twenty-five percent of the final product contains the most volatile compounds from the original ferment liquid. Mostly water, of course, but many nasty compounds are distilled along with the water, especially in first liquid out of the still, but also in the tailings, or final output. If you an astute home distiller, there is nothing better than that middle portion coming out of a well run still. Commercial? Well, that depends a lot on the integrity of the distiller.

If you think that the water in the original ferment has no effect on the final product, then my question is, why smog?

Yes thanks for that, but I am perfectly familiar with azeotropic mixtures. My point is that solids cannot end up in a distilled liquid like alcohol but of course volatiles can and do pass over in the distillate. Why smog, I can't see why you are even asking that question frankly, it is obviously all about the USP and marketing, how hard is that to understand?

Yes thanks for that, but I am perfectly familiar with azeotropic mixtures. My point is that solids cannot end up in a distilled liquid like alcohol but of course volatiles can and do pass over in the distillate. Why smog, I can't see why you are even asking that question frankly, it is obviously all about the USP and marketing, how hard is that to understand?

Well, yes, I can agree with you on that. Marketing is what sells. Distilling is about taste. I was being flippant about filtering out the chunks.

I told my buddy about this vodka and he laughed. I suggested to him we make vodka from the tears of those who fall to the Seahawks greatness in the stadium and sell it for $12.

Flavored "vodka" is candy, not a proper alcoholic beverage. It's an appropriate item for a niece, or grandmother, not a grown man.

Last edited:
I will give you the flavoured part. It should come in standard vodka form, in addition to the usual vanilla, passion fruit, and other obnoxious flavours.

Back