New $125 vodka is made with San Francisco FOG

Interesting. I must admit I'm not familiar with this nor come across it. I've heard of hanger 1 and know they have multiple flavors but it's not something I hear people order a lot. I'll have to check it out.
You would have to be insane to pay that much for a bottle of vodka. I mean the whole idea of vodka is to distill it multiple times to remove con joiners. And who cares if it is fog water? When you're distilling water is water. Also, what's the pretentious bullshit on the taste? I seriously doubt this shit has hints of pears, foo foo and ambrosia. It's fucking vodka! It taste like a polar solvent unless you add flavoring.

Vodka isn't Scotch or an aged sour mash. Distilled once and aged in barrels to give it a particular flavor and mouth feel.

The only thing that matters with vodka is how many times you distill it. Once you get to the second distillation whatever foo foo bullshit you started doesn't mean squat. You'll end up with a neutral grain spirit with virtually no flavor.

Are you being serious, do you really think that something like mercury is present in fog? If I tell you that it is impossible, will you believe me?
Mercury hydride could be. It's very fucking unlikely but chemically possible. None of which maters as vodka isn't filtered. Doesn't need to be. Once the fog water has been distilled it just water and any inorganics, other than water, will remain in the pot.

Besides in commercial vodka processing you distill the product to SDA grade which is 95-99% ethanol and 1-5% aziotropic water. You then add distilled or deionized water to bring the ethanol content down to commercial proof.

This is marketing BS to upswell something worth ten to twenty dollars for $125. Caveat Emptor.

Actually, yes, since I do distill, myself. And I know that the impurities in the water make a huge difference in the final product. If you think that commercial distilleries extract 100% alcohol and leave all else behind, then you might want to read up a bit about the process. Distilling laboratory pure ethanol is the only process that reduces impurities to insignificant levels. Do you think that rum tastes different from whiskey because flavors are added after distillation? No. Rum tastes like rum because of the fermented molasses, and whiskey tastes like whiskey because of the fermented malted grains. Gin of course, gets it's flavor from juniper actually added into the distillation column.

Vodka, is in essence, the lack of any flavor. But that does not mean that it is distilled to pure alcohol and then watered down. Commercially, it is distilled typically to forty to seventy-five percent percent alcohol. That means that sixty to twenty-five percent of the final product contains the most volatile compounds from the original ferment liquid. Mostly water, of course, but many nasty compounds are distilled along with the water, especially in first liquid out of the still, but also in the tailings, or final output. If you an astute home distiller, there is nothing better than that middle portion coming out of a well run still. Commercial? Well, that depends a lot on the integrity of the distiller.

If you think that the water in the original ferment has no effect on the final product, then my question is, why smog?
That's not true about vodka. It's not whisky. It's distilled multiple time. Starting out with a pure quality counts from the stand point of making distillation easier but once you've distilled more than once virtually all impurities have been removed and a quality vodka is distilled five to ten times.

Fuck You.
Except he's right. Vodka is supposed to be neutral in flavor. That's why it's the base to so many cocktail recipes. It carries the flavors you add to it. Distilling out volatiles and conjoiners means it reduces the severity of hangovers. Anyone who pays more than $20 for vodka is pissing money away.

Except he's right. Vodka is supposed to be neutral in flavor. That's why it's the base to so many cocktail recipes. It carries the flavors you add to it. Distilling out volatiles and conjoiners means it reduces the severity of hangovers. Anyone who pays more than $20 for vodka is pissing money away.
The supermarket down the road sells French Grey Goose vodka at £38 ($55) for 75cl or a fifth in old money!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Goose_(vodka)

Last edited:
I told my buddy about this vodka and he laughed. I suggested to him we make vodka from the tears of those who fall to the Seahawks greatness in the stadium and sell it for $12.

Oh no, let's not go there, or we could have a veritable plethora of various bodily fluids contaminating my buzz.

I drink vodka when I don't feel like having a hangover as bad. I prefer whiskey, but that's like the worst as far as hangovers.

No, I agree with you take on vodka. I have always been impressed with its versatility. Obviously I prefer scotch, myself.

Hmm, I bought Smirnoff the other night for 13 bucks a fifth. It claimed to be distilled 10 times too.
That's kind of a misnomer too. Whisky are mainly distilled once in a pot still via simple distillation where the heads and tails are discarded and the body is collected congeners and all. Due to the congeners they don't taste good immediately after distillation and need to be aged for their flavors to develop.

Vodka is distilled by fractional distillation where the vapors are refluxed to improve separation of aziotropic mixtures. After the first distillation you end up with a product that is 75% ethanol and 25% water with virtually all contaminants removed. Additional distillation doesn't really improve the product. It removes aziotropic water in crease the ethanol purity to its chemical limit of 95 to 99%.

Back