New Drinking Challenges

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
So we have a new year quickly approaching, and this year I've done so much. I've opened and closed a bar. I've polished off a handle of booze by myself in a night. I've drank absinthe. Tried over 150 different beers. Went on a two week road trip. Went on a 4 day bender. Been drunk, sobered up, and been drunk again 3 times in 24 hours. I'm afraid I've run out of mountains to climb, tigers to tame, etc.

So any ideas JPP? I've yet do a centurion, or a pub crawl, but other than that...

It is sad to say, Billy, but i think you may just have outgrown the American Drinking League. Big fish in a small pond and all that bidness.

Have you considered a big money transfer to one of the elite British Super League Clubs? I could probably make a few phone calls and get you a trial at the, formidable, Glasgow Ethanols.

So we have a new year quickly approaching, and this year I've done so much. I've opened and closed a bar. I've polished off a handle of booze by myself in a night. I've drank absinthe. Tried over 150 different beers. Went on a two week road trip. Went on a 4 day bender. Been drunk, sobered up, and been drunk again 3 times in 24 hours. I'm afraid I've run out of mountains to climb, tigers to tame, etc.

So any ideas JPP? I've yet do a centurion, or a pub crawl, but other than that...

Try a pub crawl around Sukhumvit, Silom and Khao San roads in Bangkok. It will spoil you for life.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1324077/the_best_british_and_irish_pubs_in.html?cat=16

http://www.1stopbangkok.com/hospitality/bars_2/#bars_list

Last edited:
Tom.....this may be a stupid question.....but if you're going to do an English/Irish pub crawl...well, wouldn't it be better to go to England or Ireland?

Well, I've done all three in my time and I know which I'd choose. Anyway who says they have to be all English/Irish pubs, you can always go to Washington Square on Suhkumvit soi 22, they even have a few 'Mericans there. Also I defy you to find a Soi Cowboy or Nana Entertainment Plaza in Ireland!!

http://ricks-eastasiablog.typepad.c...bar-hopping-in-washington-square-bangkok.html

YouTube - Soi Cowboy, Bangkok!

Last edited:
Not my kinda bar Tom, but thanks for the suggestion. I made up a new drinking game called 'The Gauntlet' just because of world weariness. It's rather simple. You take five 1 liter steins, fill each with a different style of beer, getting progressively darker and stronger. So your first stein should have something like a Kolsch or Blond ale, maybe even a American Macro. Next would probably be a German style, such as a Oktoberfest or Bock. Third would be something heavier still, a British brown or a porter. The fourth would be one of your lighter stouts, like an Irish Dry or Oatmeal. And last would be the heaviest and also most alcoholic. Only a IPA, RIS or Barley Wine would do in this case.

First one to finish all five steins wins.

Not my kinda bar Tom, but thanks for the suggestion. I made up a new drinking game called 'The Gauntlet' just because of world weariness. It's rather simple. You take five 1 liter steins, fill each with a different style of beer, getting progressively darker and stronger. So your first stein should have something like a Kolsch or Blond ale, maybe even a American Macro. Next would probably be a German style, such as a Oktoberfest or Bock. Third would be something heavier still, a British brown or a porter. The fourth would be one of your lighter stouts, like an Irish Dry or Oatmeal. And last would be the heaviest and also most alcoholic. Only a IPA, RIS or Barley Wine would do in this case.

Is that Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout? By the way, there are so many good bars and clubs in Bangkok and it has a huge ex-pat contingent as well. Actually ex-pat is a very good description of the many Irish who live and work in the Exploding Chicken. There are many Irish pubs with good music every night of the week, many of the bands come from Ireland to play as they like the craic so much and it pays well.

Is that Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout? By the way, there are so many good bars and clubs in Bangkok and it has a huge ex-pat contingent as well. Actually ex-pat is a very good description of the many Irish who live and work in the Exploding Chicken. There are many Irish pubs with good music every night of the week, many of the bands come from Ireland to play as they like the craic so much and it pays well.
Samuel Smiths is one to consider, as it the American (actually made in my state) The Poet, or Youngs Oatmeal Stout. All good choices.

Samuel Smiths is one to consider, as it the American (actually made in my state) The Poet, or Youngs Oatmeal Stout. All good choices.

Well, you live and learn. I didn't realise that Youngs even brewed a stout, apparently it made primarily for the North American market. Can you get Fullers where you live?

Last edited:
The Londo Pride is great too, but I'm not so partial to pale ales or IPAs. Not much of a hop head myself.

if you come to boston again, come in julyish. the city hosts a whole day of barhopping. They give you a list of 20-30 bars. you go to one place, and then after 30 minutes or so, you move on to the next one. the whole city keeps cycling through bars from early morning till closing. it fucking owns.

I like this.

First liter should be Pilsner Urquel

Second liter should be an IPA, while IPA's are hoppy, they are not all that alcoholic in nature. Only imperial IPA's like Stone Ruination or Maharajah IPA are strong IPA's and could very well be your 3rd or 4th beer.

Third, I am thinking a dry stout, again, not really heavy in alcohol but very full bodied.

Fourth, I would say a Double Bastard ale, Maharajah imperial IPA, Double Dead Guy Ale, something in that Catagory.

Finally, Only a Barley Wine will do. Stone Makes a good strong one, as does Avery (Hog Heaven),. Go here and you will find all kinds of truly strong ales.

I like this.

First liter should be Pilsner Urquel

Second liter should be an IPA, while IPA's are hoppy, they are not all that alcoholic in nature. Only imperial IPA's like Stone Ruination or Maharajah IPA are strong IPA's and could very well be your 3rd or 4th beer.

Third, I am thinking a dry stout, again, not really heavy in alcohol but very full bodied.

Fourth, I would say a Double Bastard ale, Maharajah imperial IPA, Double Dead Guy Ale, something in that Catagory.

Finally, Only a Barley Wine will do. Stone Makes a good strong one, as does Avery (Hog Heaven),. Go here and you will find all kinds of truly strong ales.
I consider IPAs for the final liter only, because compared to other beers they are mor alcoholic (averaging around 7% though can be MUCH higher) Plus the IBUs and gravity of the beer also comes into play, not just the alcohol. That's why an RIS is considered perfect for the final liter too. Though Barely Wines are acceptable.

Back