new home ownership reveals many issues

over the last 8 weeks of constant 100+ degree days with less than an inch of rain in Texas and I have a 3 foot crack running down one side of my in ground pool. In the last 20 hours we've had over 10 inches of rain so now everything if overflowing with water, including the 2 bedrooms on the side that is level with the ground.

not fun times

over the last 8 weeks of constant 100+ degree days with less than an inch of rain in Texas and I have a 3 foot crack running down one side of my in ground pool. In the last 20 hours we've had over 10 inches of rain so now everything if overflowing with water, including the 2 bedrooms on the side that is level with the ground.

not fun times

Global warming

not fun times

Sorry to hear about that. The entire state of Texas seems to be in a mess at the moment. The ground must be rock hard from no rain and lots of baking...and then a massive amount of water comes down. When I was younger, I lived in an area that flooded. Whenever there was lots of rain, we'd have to be moved out by boats. We did learn to park our cars off property...in high areas.

Not a fun thing. Hope all works out well.

Sorry to hear about that. The entire state of Texas seems to be in a mess at the moment. The ground must be rock hard from no rain and lots of baking...and then a massive amount of water comes down. When I was younger, I lived in an area that flooded. Whenever there was lots of rain, we'd have to be moved out by boats. We did learn to park our cars off property...in high areas.

Not a fun thing. Hope all works out well.

thanks frank, preciate it. I just wish the lessons being learned didn't come with such a high price tag LOL

Yeah

I wish people would accept facts that were told them so we Could have stopped global warming without massive property damage having to teach them what reality is

Just checked

No such rule

Now it’s also NOT POLITICS

It’s science

This extreme weather is caused by Global Warming

not fun times
You just bought a house?

Is it a concrete pool? Many people put a liner in when there is a lot of work in either a steel or concrete pool.

10 inches of water would probably make any house leak. I assume you don't have a basement? Even so, your sump pump would run around the clock with that much rain

thanks frank, preciate it. I just wish the lessons being learned didn't come with such a high price tag LOL
Not sure about Texas, but around here it's common to spend about $400 on a home inspection by a certified inspector. I'm the guy my friends call to do a cursory inspection. They look at the bedrooms, and I'm in the basement checking the water/heating systems.

I don't climb in the attic to check for water damage, or into tight crawl spaces. Not for free, anyway.

For the cost of the inspection, you typically get ammo to negotiate with the seller in order to have them make corrections, or cut the price so that you can.

You just bought a house?
last June, 2021

Is it a concrete pool? Many people put a liner in when there is a lot of work in either a steel or concrete pool.
pretty sure it's a concrete pool. It's maybe 5 years old?

10 inches of water would probably make any house leak. I assume you don't have a basement? Even so, your sump pump would run around the clock with that much rain
Texas homes usually don't have basements because of the ground movement due to weather. I have seen some homes with sumps because of ground elevations around their property can be higher than their foundation. Apparently that's the case on the east side of my home. I think I can resolve that issue with a french drain.

Not sure about Texas, but around here it's common to spend about $400 on a home inspection by a certified inspector. I'm the guy my friends call to do a cursory inspection. They look at the bedrooms, and I'm in the basement checking the water/heating systems.

I don't climb in the attic to check for water damage, or into tight crawl spaces. Not for free, anyway.

For the cost of the inspection, you typically get ammo to negotiate with the seller in order to have them make corrections, or cut the price so that you can.

we had the home inspection before buying. mortgage company requires it. there were no reported issues, then, but also we didn't have this particular set of issues with such dry ground and so much rain all in a few hours.

last June, 2021

pretty sure it's a concrete pool. It's maybe 5 years old?

Texas homes usually don't have basements because of the ground movement due to weather. I have seen some homes with sumps because of ground elevations around their property can be higher than their foundation. Apparently that's the case on the east side of my home. I think I can resolve that issue with a french drain.
Wow...5 year old pool with problems? Are there a lot of in ground pools in Texas? Given the issue re. basements, I would think only steel? We have a really old steel pool that comes with its own issues.

Liners aren't cheap, but I see a lot of them. You have to use care with them, and they can last 10 years. Is this a wide crack that's dumping water? If not, you can probably drain the pool and use hydraulic cement to patch. Hopefully the ground behind the pool isn't washed out.

I was going to suggest the perimeter drain around the house, as long as you have a place for the water to end up.

Back