New Yorkers live longer!

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel5
  • Start date Start date
C

Cancel5

3 Reasons Why New Yorkers Live Longer

Last winter, the New York City Department of Health released some surprising news: a New Yorker born in 2004 can expect to live 78.6 years, nine months longer than the average American will. In addition, the life expectancy of New Yorkers is lengthening faster than that of other Americans.

Why? In an article published in the Aug. 13, 2008, New York magazine, author Clive Thompson interviewed health researchers and found three possible reasons:

* The city's wide-ranging smoking ban of 2003, which dropped deaths attributable to smoking by 10 percent from 2001 to 2005.
* Healthier food options, because New York (like other large cities) attracts a critical mass of people who demand fresh, organic or otherwise superior food choices.
* Perhaps most importantly, New Yorkers walk far more than do suburban Americans, or even residents of other large cities (perhaps due to the fact that New York's high-density urban amenities make walking uniquely viable for shopping, commuting, and other daily tasks). They also tend to walk faster.

My take: this is interesting, but you don't have to move to New York to avail yourself of these advantages. Anyone, anywhere, can decide to stop smoking, walk more and seek out healthy foods (the number of farmers markets has doubled in the last decade, making them more available everywhere). But I am glad that, after so much presidential-campaign speechmaking about "small-town values," New Yorkers may rightfully claim that their city can indeed foster good health.

I wonder if the New Yorkers retiring to FL skews the results any ?

I saw entire subdivisions of blue haired New Yorkers down there.

I wonder if the New Yorkers retiring to FL skews the results any ?

I saw entire subdivisions of blue haired New Yorkers down there.

lol - you know what's really funny, north easterners travel and set up camp in packs. My friend was telling me that she went to the Bahamas a couple of years ago and one of the games at the pool area was, which exit (off Jersey's State Parkway) do you live off of. She said everyone there was either from NY or Jersey. She might as well been at the Jersey shore.

lol - you know what's really funny, north easterners travel and set up camp in packs. My friend was telling me that she went to the Bahamas a couple of years ago and one of the games at the pool area was, which exit (off Jersey's State Parkway) do you live off of. She said everyone there was either from NY or Jersey. She might as well been at the Jersey shore.

That is funny, my Canadian in-laws want us to buy property in Montana, everyone from Calgary is moving there! Cheap and beautiful, so far.

I loved working in Florida in Tampa, Sarasota, and Venice. Except when the snowbirds came down. Some were nice, but lots of them were truly obnoxious.

But it was great doing the work between April and October. A third of the houses were empty.

Who knows, you might be able to find a few gay couples that would help you along.
I'm sure I would, after all, they are so prone to violence with those that they disagree with.

However, The Southern Man is not as easy a target as a 69 year old woman.

Hey Southern Man - people from Northern states have been proud Americans far longer than 1865.

Well, there was that woman born in 1879 who died in 2003, but I think SM means as a people rather than a person...

Actually, I refer to my ancestry. I have traced my bloodline back 10 generations and the first to set foot in the States was a young man who waited for the Civil War to end before sailing over from Germany in 1865 at age 27.

One does not need to waddle in a pig sty to know that it is filthy.

Funny, but you seem to judge the entire group and their lives solely by their sex lives. And then you call them filthy?

Hello kettle, I'm pot and you are black?

Actually, I refer to my ancestry. I have traced my bloodline back 10 generations and the first to set foot in the States was a young man who waited for the Civil War to end before sailing over from Germany in 1865 at age 27.

Know what is worse than a carpetbagger ? A foreign carpetbagger.

Funny, but you seem to judge the entire group and their lives solely by their sex lives. And then you call them filthy?

Hello kettle, I'm pot and you are black?
I wasn't referring to merely their sexual habits, but thanks for being so judgmental.

Back