Nonfarm payrolls rise 180,000 in March

Topspin

Verified User
U.S. jobless rate slips to 4.4%; construction jobs rebound
PrintE-mailDisable live quotesRSSDigg itDel.icio.usBy Greg Robb, MarketWatch
Last Update: 8:45 AM ET Apr 6, 2007

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The nation's labor market remained tight in March with few signs of weakness, the Labor Department reported Friday.
The job market continues to defy gravity, the agency's data show, even as the economy has slowed since the second quarter of last year. The strength in hiring continues to baffle economists.
U.S. nonfarm payrolls rose by 180,000 last month, above almost all forecasts, and the unemployment rate slipped to 4.4% from 4.5% in February. This matches the jobless rate in October, which was the lowest in nearly six years. Read full government report.

Lefty:

Hey! How is that possible? If the rich are getting richer the middle class HAS to be getting poorer, that is how it works in a zero sum economy like I hear exists here today!

Remember now we do not figure our unemployment figures to calculate all the unemployed.
Remember how during Clinton's terms 4% unemployment was "full employment"?

Anyway, even that statement doesn't make the economy a zero sum game.

Let's compare non-farm payroll job performance, over a longer period of time, shall we?:

*Non-farm job growth - Jan. 1989 to March 2007:

-Ten+ years of Bush41/Bush43: 7.7. million net new jobs added.

-Eight years of Clinton/Gore: 22.8 million net new jobs added.

United States Bureau of Labor Statistics

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?bls

and many of the jobs have been low paying service sector/retail jobs....
Don't get me wrong the added jobs are great, but nothing to crow over.

and many of the jobs have been low paying service sector/retail jobs....
Don't get me wrong the added jobs are great, but nothing to crow over.
Not here they haven't. In fact, in Colorado the new jobs were shown to pay more than those lost during the recession. The idea that suddenly people are desperately working at McJobs is not a fact.

Co seems to be doing better than many areas. Look at MI and such though.
KY is the same going donw with the US auto industry fall. Many of the better paid jobs here added in recent years are linked into the auto industry. thankfully toyota is doing fine.

Co seems to be doing better than many areas. Look at MI and such though.
KY is the same going donw with the US auto industry fall. Many of the better paid jobs here added in recent years are linked into the auto industry. thankfully toyota is doing fine.
There are always areas that do better than others. This does not mean that it is the entirety of the nation. Taking anecdotal stories from such places is a political play on the emotive response, it does not negate the fact that we are pretty much at full employment.

If 4% the way we calculate it is Full employment. If my paycheck is shorted 4% I don't count it as a full paycheck.

If 4% the way we calculate it is Full employment. If my paycheck is shorted 4% I don't count it as a full paycheck.
4% of the pop is unemployed it is considered "full employment" only when a D is President?

Come on now. 2.5% are people like my wife who stay home to raise the kids, the other 1.5% are those who are in transfer.

Only people who are actively looking for work are included in the unemployment figures Damo. The actual unemployment is much higher.

for most, when you unemlooyment benefits run out you are then counted as employed whether you are or not is my understanding. If I am wrong please eddicate me.

Only people who are actively looking for work are included in the unemployment figures Damo. The actual unemployment is much higher.

for most, when you unemlooyment benefits run out you are then counted as employed whether you are or not is my understanding. If I am wrong please eddicate me.
Which was true back then too. As I stated, about 2.5% are like my wife. People who left and don't plan on returning yet still receive some benefits. The other are those who actively seek or are currently on unemployment.

The exact same numbers prevailed in the 90s, magically nobody argued when it was called "full employment" then. Only now, because Bush is in office, do you constantly hear the anecdotal rubbish that makes people "feel" like there is a problem where little or none exists.

I spoke the same line when clowntoon was president, don't get the mistaken impression that this is a partisan issue with me.

the negativity out of USC and the anti-business posters is comical.
Anything to poopoo a good number, 180,000 is a great number.

USC you don't have a fucking clue what the new jobs are paying.
And unemployment is calculated the same way over time. The important thind is which way it's moving. Now it's extremenly low and going lower.:clink:

spin, I have read an posted several reports over tha last year or so on the FACT that the majority of jobs created lately have been mostly paying nearer the lower end of the scale.

Make fun of me will ya, do you have a clue what the jobs pay spin ?
Crow rooster crow :D

I suppose some of those jobs were created by raids by INS forcing employers to hire legal employees ;)

Last edited:
U.S. jobless rate slips to 4.4%; construction jobs rebound
PrintE-mailDisable live quotesRSSDigg itDel.icio.usBy Greg Robb, MarketWatch
Last Update: 8:45 AM ET Apr 6, 2007

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The nation's labor market remained tight in March with few signs of weakness, the Labor Department reported Friday.
The job market continues to defy gravity, the agency's data show, even as the economy has slowed since the second quarter of last year. The strength in hiring continues to baffle economists.
U.S. nonfarm payrolls rose by 180,000 last month, above almost all forecasts, and the unemployment rate slipped to 4.4% from 4.5% in February. This matches the jobless rate in October, which was the lowest in nearly six years. Read full government report.

Umm spinner where is your linky thing ?

I have read an posted several reports over tha last year or so on the FACT that the majority of jobs created lately have been mostly paying nearer the lower end of the scale.

LOFL, USC hence the difference between you and me

You think our economy sucks and make $70,000 in salary

I think its great $125,0000 salary $100,000 in investment income.

Maybe if you invest more and read more you outlook along with your economic IQ will grow.:clink:

Lies all lies spin, I have said before I make over 80K, most likely nearly 100K + this year.
I am in the top 5% of income in my county.
I am making around 100% profit on my market games. But I know haw an elitist ass has to crow about how much they Make, I will not even speak of my 500% increase in value of a piece of investment property I bought less than one year ago, which will probably be worth nearly 1 mill when the new exit goes in in a few years ...opps that slipped out ;)

As I posted before in this thread, the new jobs are good, just not something to crow about.

Last edited:
We'll that's big change from the laid off making much lower bullshit you use to post.
So good for you, I actually hope you aren't lying.
You don't know shit about the new jobs.
Brokers are service jobs, so are lawyers, and managers

Back