Notes from Prince Harry's Ghostwriter | The New Yorker

Scott

Verified User
I haven't (yet?) read Harry's memoir, "Spare", but I really liked this article from its ghostwriter and thought others here might like it too and perhaps offer a constructive comment or 2. I admit I might be wrong on this. I'm Canadian, not American, and Canadians tend to care more about the Royals then Americans for historical reasons. I think there are a few Canadians here, but perhaps none that also find Harry's story to be interesting. Anyway, below is the introduction...

I was exasperated with Prince Harry. My head was pounding, my jaw was clenched, and I was starting to raise my voice. And yet some part of me was still able to step outside the situation and think, This is so weird. I’m shouting at Prince Harry. Then, as Harry started going back at me, as his cheeks flushed and his eyes narrowed, a more pressing thought occurred: Whoa, it could all end right here.

This was the summer of 2022. For two years, I’d been the ghostwriter on Harry’s memoir, “Spare,” and now, reviewing his latest edits in a middle-of-the-night Zoom session, we’d come to a difficult passage. Harry, at the close of gruelling military exercises in rural England, gets captured by pretend terrorists. It’s a simulation, but the tortures inflicted upon Harry are very real. He’s hooded, dragged to an underground bunker, beaten, frozen, starved, stripped, forced into excruciating stress positions by captors wearing black balaclavas. The idea is to find out if Harry has the toughness to survive an actual capture on the battlefield. (Two of his fellow-soldiers don’t; they crack.) At last, Harry’s captors throw him against a wall, choke him, and scream insults into his face, culminating in a vile dig at—Princess Diana?

Even the fake terrorists engrossed in their parts, even the hard-core British soldiers observing from a remote location, seem to recognize that an inviolate rule has been broken. Clawing that specific wound, the memory of Harry’s dead mother, is out of bounds. When the simulation is over, one of the participants extends an apology.

Harry always wanted to end this scene with a thing he said to his captors, a comeback that struck me as unnecessary, and somewhat inane. Good for Harry that he had the nerve, but ending with what he said would dilute the scene’s meaning: that even at the most bizarre and peripheral moments of his life, his central tragedy intrudes. For months, I’d been crossing out the comeback, and for months Harry had been pleading for it to go back in. Now he wasn’t pleading, he was insisting, and it was 2 a.m., and I was starting to lose it. I said, “Dude, we’ve been over this.”

Why was this one line so important? Why couldn’t he accept my advice? We were leaving out a thousand other things—that’s half the art of memoir, leaving stuff out—so what made this different? Please, I said, trust me. Trust the book.

Although this wasn’t the first time that Harry and I had argued, it felt different; it felt as if we were hurtling toward some kind of decisive rupture, in part because Harry was no longer saying anything. He was just glaring into the camera. Finally, he exhaled and calmly explained that, all his life, people had belittled his intellectual capabilities, and this flash of cleverness proved that, even after being kicked and punched and deprived of sleep and food, he had his wits about him.

“Oh,” I said. “O.K.” It made sense now. But I still refused.

“Why?”

Because, I told him, everything you just said is about you. You want the world to know that you did a good job, that you were smart. But, strange as it may seem, memoir isn’t about you. It’s not even the story of your life. It’s a story carved from your life, a particular series of events chosen because they have the greatest resonance for the widest range of people, and at this point in the story those people don’t need to know anything more than that your captors said a cruel thing about your mom.

Harry looked down. A long time. Was he thinking? Seething? Should I have been more diplomatic? Should I have just given in? I imagined I’d be thrown off the book soon after sunup. I could almost hear the awkward phone call with Harry’s agent, and I was sad. Never mind the financial hit—I was focussed on the emotional shock. All the time, the effort, the intangibles I’d invested in Harry’s memoir, in Harry, would be gone just like that.

After what seemed like an hour, Harry looked up, and we locked eyes. “O.K.,” he said.

“O.K.?”

“Yes. I get it.”

“Thank you, Harry,” I said, relieved.

He shot me a mischievous grin. “I really enjoy getting you worked up like that.”

I burst into laughter and shook my head, and we moved on to his next set of edits.

Full article:

Because, I told him, everything you just said is about you. You want the world to know that you did a good job, that you were smart. But, strange as it may seem, memoir isn’t about you. It’s not even the story of your life. It’s a story carved from your life, a particular series of events chosen because they have the greatest resonance for the widest range of people, and at this point in the story those people don’t need to know anything more than that your captors said a cruel thing about your mom.

Given what I have heard about this guy this does not surprise me at all....it is ass backwards.....the purpose of a memoir is to distill the essence of the person and the life journey of the author/subject.

A man with the prince's education should be able to write a book on his own,
and God bless the motherfucker,
he sure has the time.

He seems like an OK kid from what little I've seen of him,
but he didn't put enough effort into making his own life easier.

It's always a shame to fuck up a good thing that you've got going for you.

he sure has the time.

So you've wrote a lot of books?

I haven't (yet?) read Harry's memoir, "Spare", but I really liked this article from its ghostwriter and thought others here might like it too and perhaps offer a constructive comment or 2. I admit I might be wrong on this. I'm Canadian, not American, and Canadians tend to care more about the Royals then Americans for historical reasons. I think there are a few Canadians here, but perhaps none that also find Harry's story to be interesting. Anyway, below is the introduction...

I was exasperated with Prince Harry. My head was pounding, my jaw was clenched, and I was starting to raise my voice. And yet some part of me was still able to step outside the situation and think, This is so weird. I’m shouting at Prince Harry. Then, as Harry started going back at me, as his cheeks flushed and his eyes narrowed, a more pressing thought occurred: Whoa, it could all end right here.

This was the summer of 2022. For two years, I’d been the ghostwriter on Harry’s memoir, “Spare,” and now, reviewing his latest edits in a middle-of-the-night Zoom session, we’d come to a difficult passage. Harry, at the close of gruelling military exercises in rural England, gets captured by pretend terrorists. It’s a simulation, but the tortures inflicted upon Harry are very real. He’s hooded, dragged to an underground bunker, beaten, frozen, starved, stripped, forced into excruciating stress positions by captors wearing black balaclavas. The idea is to find out if Harry has the toughness to survive an actual capture on the battlefield. (Two of his fellow-soldiers don’t; they crack.) At last, Harry’s captors throw him against a wall, choke him, and scream insults into his face, culminating in a vile dig at—Princess Diana?

Even the fake terrorists engrossed in their parts, even the hard-core British soldiers observing from a remote location, seem to recognize that an inviolate rule has been broken. Clawing that specific wound, the memory of Harry’s dead mother, is out of bounds. When the simulation is over, one of the participants extends an apology.

Harry always wanted to end this scene with a thing he said to his captors, a comeback that struck me as unnecessary, and somewhat inane. Good for Harry that he had the nerve, but ending with what he said would dilute the scene’s meaning: that even at the most bizarre and peripheral moments of his life, his central tragedy intrudes. For months, I’d been crossing out the comeback, and for months Harry had been pleading for it to go back in. Now he wasn’t pleading, he was insisting, and it was 2 a.m., and I was starting to lose it. I said, “Dude, we’ve been over this.”

Why was this one line so important? Why couldn’t he accept my advice? We were leaving out a thousand other things—that’s half the art of memoir, leaving stuff out—so what made this different? Please, I said, trust me. Trust the book.

Although this wasn’t the first time that Harry and I had argued, it felt different; it felt as if we were hurtling toward some kind of decisive rupture, in part because Harry was no longer saying anything. He was just glaring into the camera. Finally, he exhaled and calmly explained that, all his life, people had belittled his intellectual capabilities, and this flash of cleverness proved that, even after being kicked and punched and deprived of sleep and food, he had his wits about him.

“Oh,” I said. “O.K.” It made sense now. But I still refused.

“Why?”

Harry looked down. A long time. Was he thinking? Seething? Should I have been more diplomatic? Should I have just given in? I imagined I’d be thrown off the book soon after sunup. I could almost hear the awkward phone call with Harry’s agent, and I was sad. Never mind the financial hit—I was focussed on the emotional shock. All the time, the effort, the intangibles I’d invested in Harry’s memoir, in Harry, would be gone just like that.

After what seemed like an hour, Harry looked up, and we locked eyes. “O.K.,” he said.

“O.K.?”

“Yes. I get it.”

“Thank you, Harry,” I said, relieved.

He shot me a mischievous grin. “I really enjoy getting you worked up like that.”

I burst into laughter and shook my head, and we moved on to his next set of edits.

Full article:

The book was very interesting and I think you'd like it. It only got a little sappy when he met Meghan. Prepare yourself, though, for not seeing the monarchy through rose-colored glasses.

Given what I have heard about this guy this does not surprise me at all....it is ass backwards.....the purpose of a memoir is to distill the essence of the person and the life journey of the author/subject.

When you say this guy, are you referring to Harry or his ghost writer?

he sure has the time.

Anyone can write a book. The issue is how good the book will be. I think Harry made the right call in getting a ghost writer to help him out.

That's a pretty brief summary of Harry's life :-p. I'm sure he's made mistakes, I think I've heard of a few. But I think that on the whole, he's made pretty good calls. The thing I think he did best was defending his wife's decision (and by extension his) to leave the life of royal duties behind. I also think this book he did was a good idea.

The thing I think he did best was defending his wife's decision (and by extension his) to leave the life of royal duties behind. I also think this book he did was a good idea.

That's exactly the thing I question.

It's hard to find a better gig than being a Royal,
attending a few charity fundraisers here and there,
and otherwise playing golf or polo or going sailing.
And the clothes and watches you can buy!

I would kill to do that, and I very honestly can't imagine who wouldn't.
Instead, he gives up a life of privilege over some foreign broad that his family doesn't like.

It's certainly his right to make that call--nobody's questioning that. He's a free man.

What he could have done, however, is marry some distant cousin who looks correct to the people,
and who just assumes that he's going to have a mistress anyway.
She doesn't care. She's living the good life as well and understands how it all works.

That's what our boy Harry gave up to hook up with some D-list actress.
If she's actually worth it, then good for him. I wish them both the best.
It's just hard to imagine.
Really, really hard.

A classic example of how a woman can ruin a man’s life

You're really not a woman, are you.

I'm guessing by your question that Tinkerpeach has said that she's a woman. If so, not sure what would draw you to the conclusion that Tinker's not a woman.

Chuck and Camilla, the gruesome twosome, ruined Diana's life.

Why do you believe they are the ones who ruined her life? Personally, I strongly suspect that Diana's death wasn't just a matter of Diana's car trying to escape some Paparazzi, but there are a lot of conspiracy theories out there and I'm not sure which one makes the most sense. There's a bunch here:

Who was really responsible for Princess Diana's death? 24 years after that tragic night, these seven conspiracy theories live on | dailymail.co.uk

The thing I think he did best was defending his wife's decision (and by extension his) to leave the life of royal duties behind. I also think this book he did was a good idea.

That's exactly the thing I question.

It's hard to find a better gig than being a Royal,
attending a few charity fundraisers here and there,
and otherwise playing golf or polo or going sailing.
And the clothes and watches you can buy!

I would kill to do that, and I very honestly can't imagine who wouldn't.

Harry's mother was a royal too. Look where it got here. And I -strongly- suspect that the reason he decided to go with his wife and leave his royal duties behind was precisely to avoid anything similar happening to her.

Instead, he gives up a life of privilege over some foreign broad that his family doesn't like.

Are you sure that's why Harry left? It's certainly not what he said in an interview back in 2021 when he made the decision. Quoting:

Prince Harry has opened up about the reasons behind his historic split with the British royal family, saying the "toxic" press environment in Britain was "destroying" his mental health.

Harry, 36, spoke with late-night host and fellow Brit James Corden on Friday's show, less than a week after he and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, informed Queen Elizabeth II that they will not be returning as working members of the British royal family.

Source:
Prince Harry explains why he stepped back from royal family in candid new interview | today.com

It's certainly his right to make that call--nobody's questioning that. He's a free man.

What he could have done, however, is marry some distant cousin who looks correct to the people,
and who just assumes that he's going to have a mistress anyway.
She doesn't care. She's living the good life as well and understands how it all works.

Living a double life like that sounds pretty miserable to me, especially considering he could just do what he did instead. He seems to be doing a lot better now then how he was doing at around the time he decided to step back from royal duties.

That's what our boy Harry gave up to hook up with some D-list actress.
If she's actually worth it, then good for him. I wish them both the best.
It's just hard to imagine.
Really, really hard.

I admit I don't know that much about Meghan, but based on how happy Harry seems these days, I think he made the right choice.

When you say this guy, are you referring to Harry or his ghost writer?

The writer.

Honestly, I think J. R. Moehringer (aka the writer) gets pretty abstract in the quote that you referenced, but I -think- he's trying to say that a story should always be seeking to resonate with its audience and that putting in Harry's rejoinder to what his captors said would be distracting from the immense pain the death of Harry's mother caused him. I'll admit that perhaps it would, in fact, be better to have included said rejoinder, but I doubt it.

Honestly, I think J. R. Moehringer (aka the writer) gets pretty abstract in the quote that you referenced, but I -think- he's trying to say that a story should always be seeking to resonate with its audience and that putting in Harry's rejoinder to what his captors said would be distracting from the immense pain the death of Harry's mother caused him. I'll admit that perhaps it would, in fact, be better to have included said rejoinder, but I doubt it.

He is trying to say that it is all about him, it is all about selling books, after that he can barely be bothered to care. This is not art to him.

He is trying to say that it is all about him, it is all about selling books, after that he can barely be bothered to care. This is not art to him.

You think that J.R. Moehringer thinks it's all about him and his desire to sell books? If so, I strongly disagree. I read Moehringer's whole article and my view is that he was deeply emotionally invested in Harry's life.

Back