Nothing

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
This thread is about nothing in particular or specifically.

I've been wondering. Who was the best Vice President and the worst?

I would argue TR was both.

This thread is about nothing in particular or specifically.

I've been wondering. Who was the best Vice President and the worst?

I would argue TR was both.

Worst was Aaron Burr, by default.

I'm trying to think of a case for best. Truman saved the US from Henry Wallace becoming president. Hannibal Hamlin had the best name for any VP. Nixon made the office very active and visible, which all of his successors have followed to the present day (Adams tried to be highly visible, but was rebuffed by the Senate, and mostly ignored by Washington). John C. Calhoun wasn't good, but he fought with Jackson, so, there's that. Gerald Ford was basically appointed to the position so that he could clean things up for the collapsing administration.

TR had been a meddlesome Secretary of the Navy, who was one of the individuals most responsible for the Spanish-American War. He was made VP to keep him out of trouble. Hard to make a case for him as VP. As much as I hate Andrew Johnson, he was made VP to help bolster the American cause in the Civil War. He made a shitty successor, though, so you have to factor that in.

I like John Nance Garner, but, would it be fair to fault him for being President of the Senate during the era of one of the most corrupt Congresses in history?

Worst was Aaron Burr, by default.

I'm trying to think of a case for best. Truman saved the US from Henry Wallace becoming president. Hannibal Hamlin had the best name for any VP. Nixon made the office very active and visible, which all of his successors have followed to the present day (Adams tried to be highly visible, but was rebuffed by the Senate, and mostly ignored by Washington). John C. Calhoun wasn't good, but he fought with Jackson, so, there's that. Gerald Ford was basically appointed to the position so that he could clean things up for the collapsing administration.
I'm thinking TR as best as he's the only Veep to become President and a truly great one at that. He was also one of the worst Veeps in being a pain in the ass too and undermining the President he served. Wouldn't surprise me at all that he had a hand in McKinley's assassination.

I'm thinking TR as best as he's the only Veep to become President and a truly great one at that. He was also one of the worst Veeps in being a pain in the ass too and undermining the President he served. Wouldn't surprise me at all that he had a hand in McKinley's assassination.

What? Try again.
Cheney was easily the worst no contest.

14 vices became president

What about Richard Nixon? He was VP and then President. Not a great one, but still.

Back