Notice how Kiev is now called Kyiv

On TV it said Kiev (Kee-ev) was the Russian pronunciation, and Kyiv (Keev) was the Ukrainian pronunciation.

By media , it is the Ukrainian spelling and pronunciation

Technically, those are both English spellings.

The Russian and Ukrainian spelling are virtually identical.

Киев (Russian)
Київ (Ukrainian)

I think the attempt in the English spelling is to get marginally closer to the actual Slavic language sound phonetically. Just a guess.

It took me years to make the mental switch between Peking and Beijing, and it will probably be the same for me with Kiev. :)

Киев (Russian)
Київ (Ukrainian)

I think the attempt in the English spelling is to get marginally closer to the actual Slavic language sound phonetically. Just a guess.

It took me years to make the mental switch between Peking and Beijing, and it will probably be the same for me with Kiev. :)

Yeah. I don't think it's the Cyrillic spelling here. It's the 'pronunciation'. I believe the idea here is to move away from Russia and it's pronunciation of Kiev (Kee-ev), and towards the Ukrainian pronunciation of Kyiv (Keev). You know, showing solidarity with our newest Best Friend.

Bombay ... Mumbai ... WTF!

I'm still trying not to say 'The Ukraine' and just 'Ukraine'. :(

Yeah. I don't think it's the Cyrillic spelling here. It's the 'pronunciation'. I believe the idea here is to move away from Russia and it's pronunciation of Kiev (Kee-ev), and towards the Ukrainian pronunciation of Kyiv (Keev). You know, showing solidarity with our newest Best Friend.

Bombay ... Mumbai ... WTF!

I'm still trying not to say 'The Ukraine' and just 'Ukraine'. :(
The country that seems intent on keeping me confused is Czechoslovakia - Czech Republic - Czechia.

I was annoyed when Zaire changed it's name to Democratic Republic of the Congo, because there was already a central African nation called Republic of the Congo.

'The Congo'. What was wrong with that? I had no idea where it was, ... but it sounded far off and exotic. :)

Киев (Russian)
Київ (Ukrainian)

Me, too. And not to mention Bombay-Mumbai.

Back