Obama Is Glad That Vick Has Second Chance

Cancel8

Canceled
"Tough cultural issues seem to find President Obama.

But in the case of Michael Vick, the once-disgraced football player who went to jail for running an illegal dog-fighting ring, it was Mr. Obama who reached out.

In a phone call with Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, Mr. Obama expressed gratitude for the team’s willingness to give Mr. Vick a second chance in the National Football League.

“He said, ‘So many people who serve time never get a fair second chance,’” Mr. Lurie told Sports Illustrated’s Peter King. “He said, ‘It’s never a level playing field for prisoners when they get out of jail.’ And he was happy that we did something on such a national stage that showed our faith in giving someone a second chance after such a major downfall.”

The conversation was confirmed on Monday afternoon by the White House, which moved quickly to add, via the spokesman Bill Burton, that the president “of course condemns the crimes that Michael Vick was convicted of, but, as he’s said previously, he does think that individuals who have paid for their crimes should have an opportunity to contribute to society again.”

It’s not clear when the call took place, or whether Mr. Obama knew his words would be made public. But it’s interesting that Mr. Obama chose to weigh in – even if he thought he was doing it privately.

As my former colleague, Perry Bacon, noted earlier on Tuesday in The Washington Post, Mr. Obama has not shied away from social issues even when the issues do not make for good politics.

He famously mouthed off about the clash between the Harvard professor and the Cambridge police officer during his first news conference as president. He forcefully weighed in on the controversy over whether to build a cultural center with a mosque near ground zero in New York City.

Both times, his commentary generated political debates that the White House had to spend time dealing with.

In the case of Mr. Vick, Mr. Obama risks once again getting in the middle of a contentious debate that mixes together the treatment of animals with questions of personal redemption. A quick search of the Web suggests that Americans remain divided about Mr. Vick’s second chance at fame and fortune.

Mr. Obama appears less divided. But Mr. Burton said the president also called Mr. Lurie to discuss the use of alternative energy at Lincoln Financial Field, where the team plays.

That part of the conversation has gotten less attention."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...l-vick-has-second-chance/?partner=rss&emc=rss

of course he should be glad. we kill and eat animals everyday. vick shouldn't have even gone to jail. pet owners are so fucking stupid.

of course he should be glad. we kill and eat animals everyday. vick shouldn't have even gone to jail. pet owners are so fucking stupid.

Grind, smoke this stupid trolls ass. Bury him yo. Mojo will go down like one of Vick's losing pit bulls.

Just one more idiot complaint of the right.

They would find a way to see Obama saving children from a burning building as a scandal

Guess he must be among the ones that get the pass from you, eh Hoopy?

Something is definitely amiss.
Have you known me to give anyone a pass? LOL

If Mojo is a troll then he's certainly one of the more interesting ones and he's made a whole bunch of interesting post. Maybe he's playing devils advocate and maybe he's just stirring the shit pot, either way, things had been quite stale here lately. I'm glad he's come a long.

of course, it gives him hope for 2012......
2012 will be a cake walk for Obama. Who do the Pubs have? Romney's the only viable national candidate and he more then likely won't get the nod cause religious bigots in the right wing won't vote for someone they consider a non-christian. That' pretty much leaves Gingrich, Palin and Huckabee. Do you honestly think any of those candidates stand a chance at a national level? Son, get real. It's Republican who need hope for the WH in 2012.

yeap, they hate him just like they hated Teddy and Clinton.

The right truely hates any Dem who makes headway for the country.

They perfer to give huge tax cuts to the Very people who benifited from the fucking of most of Americans.

yeap, they hate him just like they hated Teddy and Clinton.

The right truely hates any Dem who makes headway for the country.

They perfer to give huge tax cuts to the Very people who benifited from the fucking of most of Americans.

LMWAO! How the hell do you bring up tax cuts on a thread about Vick? Ain't no one on the right even commented about Obama on this thread. Paranoid much? This is the sports section, something you know nothing about. Stay out of this area. And P.S. Vick rocks and dog killing is cool. Too bad he didn't kill your dog. Happy New Year.

2012 will be a cake walk for Obama. Who do the Pubs have? Romney's the only viable national candidate and he more then likely won't get the nod cause religious bigots in the right wing won't vote for someone they consider a non-christian. That' pretty much leaves Gingrich, Palin and Huckabee. Do you honestly think any of those candidates stand a chance at a national level? Son, get real. It's Republican who need hope for the WH in 2012.

I think anyone could beat him......

LMWAO! How the hell do you bring up tax cuts on a thread about Vick? Ain't no one on the right even commented about Obama on this thread. Paranoid much? This is the sports section, something you know nothing about. Stay out of this area. And P.S. Vick rocks and dog killing is cool. Too bad he didn't kill your dog. Happy New Year.

Go reread the thread titile.

On the other site I frequent they were all over Obama for it.

I mentioned to them that Scooter Libby was pardoned and never spend a day in jail and they thought that was just fine.

I wonder why such hypocracy?

Go reread the thread titile.

On the other site I frequent they were all over Obama for it.

I mentioned to them that Scooter Libby was pardoned and never spend a day in jail and they thought that was just fine.

I wonder why such hypocracy?

This isn't another site.

I'm not sure what Vick has to do with Libby and how those two situations are suppose to be viewed the same.

There are many people who do not and will not forgive Vick for what he did. That's groups like PETA which is not a right-wing Republican group. Dogs have a special place in some people's hearts.

So when the President references someone someone as controversial as Vick it's going to get a response.

I can see the headlines on Fox all ready. "Obama permits house to burn down while he plays with children. "

Stand prepared. You haven't even seen the tip of iceberg with Obama yet. He's gotta a whole lotta Mondays ahead of him to even touch the crap that was thrown Bush's way day after day.

Do you think if Bush smoked cigarettes the Looney Left wouldn't have been all over it like stink on $hit? I mean they were going back to his freepin' college days and pre-sobriety days to harrangue him about drinking too much. They would have dug up his great grandfather to uncover $hit.

How about the amount of times Obama has to swat away flies from around his face/mouth while he's giving televised speeches at the White House? I could just envision the stuff the Looney Liberal Media would have made of that if that were Bush, but I won't paint the picture for you.

You guys whine about producing a legitimate birth certificate, which practically anyone would do if they held the highest office in the land and were asked to produce. Who gives a flippin's $hit what Hawaii's laws are with regards to that? Obama could put it all to rest.

Be grateful that the restraint shown thus far has indeed been restraint.

Stand prepared. You haven't even seen the tip of iceberg with Obama yet. He's gotta a whole lotta Mondays ahead of him to even touch the crap that was thrown Bush's way day after day.

Do you think if Bush smoked cigarettes the Looney Left wouldn't have been all over it like stink on $hit? I mean they were going back to his freepin' college days and pre-sobriety days to harrangue him about drinking too much. They would have dug up his great grandfather to uncover $hit.

How about the amount of times Obama has to swat away flies from around his face/mouth while he's giving televised speeches at the White House? I could just envision the stuff the Looney Liberal Media would have made of that if that were Bush, but I won't paint the picture for you.

You guys whine about producing a legitimate birth certificate, which practically anyone would do if they held the highest office in the land and were asked to produce. Who gives a flippin's $hit what Hawaii's laws are with regards to that? Obama could put it all to rest.

Be grateful that the restraint shown thus far has indeed been restraint.
Oh please. Don't give me that Poor persecuted Bush. Remember Clinton? Remember how Republicans viewed bringing him down was more important then running the country? That's when I soured on being a Repub, granted being a social liberal and an economic conservative I was never at home with the Limbuagh type of racial bigots they recruited but criticizing Bush for all his vast array of fuck ups doesn't even come remotely close to how Republicans have consistantly placed their party politics above the interest of the nation. So spare me your irrational birther paranoia and get real!

Back