Obamacare program that Republicans use more than Democrats

It seems to be something of a double standard to me. Some didn't have that coverage before Obamacare, now they have it but 88% of them still
hate the law. Does that make sense to you?

My kids are in college and it's a lot cheaper for them to be on our policy than for them ("them" meaning "us parents") to buy the coverage the schools provide.

It's a big law with lots of provisions, some that people like and some that people hate. I'd wager that lots of people like the ban on recissions and denials of coverage based on pre-existing conditions, too. Should people have to disclaim coverage from their current insurers if they would not get coverage for pre-existing conditions in the absence of the law or run the risk of being hypocrites?

I can't wait until I have my red meat rationed.

Yes, the day I'm allotted a certain amount of certain kinds of food a week.

We'll be better for it.

Now who woulda thunk it?

"Just about every poll on Obamacare will show you the same thing: There’s a huge partisan split on the health care law. Most Democrats support it, most Republicans oppose it and independents fall somewhere in the middle.

That partisan divide, however, hasn’t necessarily translated into how Americans use the law. A new poll finds that young Republicans are more likely to have health coverage through their parents’ policy than young Democrats, an option widely expanded under the Affordable Care Act.
The poll comes from the Commonwealth Foundation, which has spent two years tracking how adults between the ages of 19 and 25 are reacting to the Affordable Care Act. Beginning in 2010, the health care law allowed young adults up to age 26 to stay covered under their parents’ health plans.

The Commonwealth Foundation estimates that of the 15 million young adults that have insurance coverage through a parent, 7.8 million would not have qualified without this policy. This dovetails with separate Census Bureau data which also finds an uptick in young adults’ insurance coverage, one that doesn’t show up in other demographics.

The Commonwealth Fund wanted to dig beyond that and figure out who these people were, the ones who had gained coverage under this health law provision. That’s where they found that since 2011, young Republicans have had a higher rate of enrollment in their parents’ health insurance plans than young Democrats. Right now, 45 percent of young Democrats receive coverage through their parents’ plan, compared to 63 percent of young Republicans.

Rates have also been higher among more affluent young adults and those with college degrees, who are more likely to have access to a parent’s insurance plan in the first place."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ram-that-republicans-use-more-than-democrats/
Good. This is excellent news. It shows opinions may be one thing but from a practical standpoing the ACA is growing in popularity, even with conservatives. This is a good thing.

It reminds of the discussions the board used to have about taxes. Should those who want higher taxes (voluntarily) pay higher taxes themselves to back up their words? If you don't like the healthcare law should you go out of your way to avoid any of its provisions?
I would and I have. We pay pretty high property taxes here in Dublin and since the money has been well managed it's worth every dime and then some. Our high schools are outstanding. All three rank in the top 500 schools in the nation....that's counting both public and private. My meighborhood school is rated in the top 10 in the State and is listed in the top 300 schools nationally by US News & World Report and has a gold rating. Our schools college preparedness rate is around 50% for graduates. That's compared to about 10 to 15% nationally.

We have invested in lots of green spaces, parks, bike trails, community centers and facilities, our libraries are incredible and our infrastructure is outstanding and this has attracted such major corporations as Cardinal Health, Nationwide Insurance, Ashland, Inc, Express Scripts, Ohio Health, Nexeo Solutions, Verizon, Fiserv Corpoation, Wendy's International,CareWorks Insurance, NCO Financial Group, Alcatel, Smith Medical, Century-Link, Pacer International, etc,.

These are all major employers with high paying jobs and all in a city around 35,000 in population. Considering that in 1980 Dublin was a small farming/working class town that implemented an intelligent strategy of economic and community develpment that has been a spectacular success. Median household income in Dublin is around double the national median household income (> $100,000/year).

So do we pay higher property and city taxes? For sure. We pay about 75% more, nearly double, than the median for the State of Ohio. Is it worth paying the extra tax dollars? HELL YES! It's worth every freaken cent and then some.

Dublin, Ohio is an excellent example of how a commitment to sound community investment can pay off in spades!

Last edited:
I would and I have. We pay pretty high property taxes here in Dublin and since the money has been well managed it's worth every dime and then some. Our high schools are outstanding. All three rank in the top 500 schools in the nation....that's counting both public and private. My school is rated in the top 10 in the State. We have invested in lots of green spaces, parks, bike trails, community centers and facilities, our libraries are incredible and our infrastructure is outstanding and this has attracted such major corporations as Cardinal Health, Nationwide Insurance, Ashland, Inc, Express Scripts, Ohio Health, Nexeo Solutions, Verizon, Fiserv Corpoation, Wendy's International,CareWorks Insurance, NCO Financial Group, Alcatel, Smith Medical, Century-Link, Pacer International, etc,.

These are all major employers with high paying jobs and all in a city around 35,000 in population. Considering that in 1980 Dublin was a small farming/working class town that implemented an intelligent strategy of economic and community develpment that has been a spectacular success. Median household income in Dublin is around double the national median household income.

So do we pay higher property and city taxes? For sure. We pay about 75% more than the median for the State of Ohio. Is it worth paying the extra tax dollars? HELL YES! It's worth every freaken cent and then some.

The argument being made was would you as an individual pay higher taxes than you are required to pay not would you support raising taxes for everyone in the community (or country).

Before it was recently raised the top marginal tax rate I believe was 33 - 35% (something in there). If you felt the top rate should be the 39% paid during the Clinton era would you voluntarily pay 39%?

I would and I have. We pay pretty high property taxes here in Dublin and since the money has been well managed it's worth every dime and then some. Our high schools are outstanding. All three rank in the top 500 schools in the nation....that's counting both public and private. My meighborhood school is rated in the top 10 in the State and is listed in the top 300 schools nationally by US News & World Report and has a gold rating. Our schools college preparedness rate is around 50% for graduates. That's compared to about 10 to 15% nationally.

We have invested in lots of green spaces, parks, bike trails, community centers and facilities, our libraries are incredible and our infrastructure is outstanding and this has attracted such major corporations as Cardinal Health, Nationwide Insurance, Ashland, Inc, Express Scripts, Ohio Health, Nexeo Solutions, Verizon, Fiserv Corpoation, Wendy's International,CareWorks Insurance, NCO Financial Group, Alcatel, Smith Medical, Century-Link, Pacer International, etc,.

These are all major employers with high paying jobs and all in a city around 35,000 in population. Considering that in 1980 Dublin was a small farming/working class town that implemented an intelligent strategy of economic and community develpment that has been a spectacular success. Median household income in Dublin is around double the national median household income (> $100,000/year).

So do we pay higher property and city taxes? For sure. We pay about 75% more, nearly double, than the median for the State of Ohio. Is it worth paying the extra tax dollars? HELL YES! It's worth every freaken cent and then some.

Dublin, Ohio is an excellent example of how a commitment to sound community investment can pay off in spades!

My dad always told me, you get what you pay for.

No one wants to pay taxes for services, but they damn sure squeal when they are personally affected!

Back