Perfect rice dinner

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
1 expensive japanese rice cooker ($110 at BB). trust me, sounds like a lot, but after using it you will save money in the long run because you can literally throw the rice in, put the water to the level the container says and 45 minutes (or less if you choose) you have perfect rice.

1 pound chicken thighs (breasts if you really are worried about your weight, but if you're that worried, get off your ass and ride a bike or something). marinate with two limes, soy sauce, and carne asada seasoning. bake for 30 minutes at 350.

when rice is done, squeeze lime over rice, cut cooked chicken and enjoy.

I'm married to a Filipina Yurt. I've all ready worn out several rice cookers like that and have about a thousand one pot wonder recipes to serve with rice (well she does anyways). When I started complaining about having rice with every meal she made reference to my Irish heritage by saying "Shut up potato head!" :(

But I do ride my bike a lot. You should see my project bike I'm about done with. :)

Last edited:
It sounds good. Now, I would be adding all sorts of stuff to make it bad for you...

I can make a hollandaise that mixe into rice with an amazing flavor explosion...

Of course, in mine, it wouldn't be chicken. But why quibble? I would use Shitake Mushrooms...

I'm married to a Filipina Yurt. I've all ready worn out several rice cookers like that and have about a thousand one pot wonder recipes to serve with rice (well she does anyways). When I started complaining about having rice with every meal she made reference to my Irish heritage by saying "Shut up potato head!" :(

But I do ride my bike a lot. You should see my project bike I'm about done with. :)

I thought yurts were Mongolian! Have you introduced your wife to rice pudding? I remember one local lass getting in quite a lather thinking I was making jokes about her staple until I took her to a supermarket and bought a tin of Ambrosia creamed rice. She loved it.

It sounds good. Now, I would be adding all sorts of stuff to make it bad for you...

I can make a hollandaise that mixe into rice with an amazing flavor explosion...

Of course, in mine, it wouldn't be chicken. But why quibble? I would use Shitake Mushrooms...
Can't we use both?

I thought yurts were Mongolian! Have you introduced your wife to rice pudding? I remember one local lass getting in quite a lather thinking I was making jokes about her staple until I took her to a supermarket and bought a tin of Ambrosia creamed rice. She loved it.
Oh good question. When I was a child rice pudding was a staple dessert for Sunday dinners. No she's never had it and I don't intend to suggest having it. She eats far to much rice as it is and that's not healthy. The dirty little secret about rice is that in Asian culture diabetes and pancreatic cancer are far more endemic then in the west primarily due to their addiction to white rice.

When my wife and I first became engaged I tolder her straight up.....I can't eat rice three times a day. To which she responded "That's not funny.". I did get her to make one concesion since marrying me. She now does prefer fried potatos over rice when I make eggs and bacon for breakfast.

When my wife and I first married we were living in the south east US (North Carolina) and to my suprize she aquired a taste for that southern classic grits. A staple I've never aquired a taste for.

Oh good question. When I was a child rice pudding was a staple dessert for Sunday dinners. No she's never had it and I don't intend to suggest having it. She eats far to much rice as it is and that's not healthy. The dirty little secret about rice is that in Asian culture diabetes and pancreatic cancer are far more endemic then in the west primarily due to their addiction to white rice.

When my wife and I first became engaged I tolder her straight up.....I can't eat rice three times a day. To which she responded "That's not funny.". I did get her to make one concesion since marrying me. She now does prefer fried potatos over rice when I make eggs and bacon for breakfast.

When my wife and I first married we were living in the south east US (North Carolina) and to my suprize she aquired a taste for that southern classic grits. A staple I've never aquired a taste for.

I am surprised that a rice cooker can cost $110, maybe that's just California. Our local Chinese supermarket sells them for around $40, you can pay far more but that gets you one that would feed an entire Chinese family for a day.

The Asian mentality associates white rice with prosperity. In Thailand anyway, they feed prisoners with brown and black rice so it is inextricably linked with poverty in the average Thai's mind. Also white rice can be stored for far longer than brown rice, so there is a practical aspect as well. As for rice pudding, you need short grain or arboreal rice which they don't grow in Asia to any extent.

I am surprised that a rice cooker can cost $110, maybe that's just California. Our local Chinese supermarket sells them for around $40, you can pay far more but that gets you one that would feed an entire Chinese family for a day.

The Asian mentality associates white rice with prosperity. In Thailand anyway, they feed prisoners with brown and black rice so it is inextricably linked with poverty in the average Thai's mind. Also white rice can be stored for far longer than brown rice, so there is a practical aspect as well. As for rice pudding, you need short grain or arboreal rice which they don't grow in Asia to any extent.
That's about what they cost here Tom. Yurts is the deluxe turbocharged version.

True dat about the short grain rice. I went to the trouble of making for my wife a mushroom risotto with broiled Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (wild) in a lemon butter sauce and steamed asparagas spears lightly sauted in olive oil which to this day is her favorite meal. She had never had risotto before (well for that matter she had never had salmon or asparagas before either) and she went bonkers over it. Unfortunately risotto is a royal pain in the ass to make. I don't make it often as in these parts fresh Sockeye salmon, arborio rice and asparagas are all a bit pricey. I half kilo package of Arborio rice is around $7 USD, Alaskan Sockeye goes for around $25 to $30/kilo and Asparagas in season around $6/half kilo. If you've only ever had Atlantic Salmon Tom you need to try wild caught Alskan King or Sockeye. The difference between them and Atlantic salmon is like the difference between Wagyu and Holstein beef.

Last edited:

Potatoes are just as bad for diabetes as white rice.

Back