Pet Food Recall!

I doubt it. Every poor person I have seen represented by eating dog food has eaten canned dog food of a much cheaper variety than the stuff with the added gravy.

Plus, I think that they are largely a myth as often dog food from a can is as expensive as a can of soup and far more expensive than Ramen noodles.

Kinda hard to cook with no electricity though....
Just real crunchy if you don't cook em, and dog food probably has more nutrition.

I pretty much agree that the oldsters eating dog food is mostly a myth, but not toatally.

Kinda hard to cook with no electricity though....
Just real crunchy if you don't cook em, and dog food probably has more nutrition.

I pretty much agree that the oldsters eating dog food is mostly a myth, but not toatally.

C'mon USC.. you are a man of resources ... if you dont have electricity what does one do to have a hot meal? You build a pit! So you get one large can of dog food ..several bags of Ramen noodles.. and you use the empty can for the ramen noodles ... warm it over an open fire.. rain water will suffice.

That would get the landlord kinda pissed wouldn't it ?

Country oldsters only go hungry when they get too feeble to feed themselves.
ie wring a chickens neck or something like that. There is always some fresh roadkill about....

One thing ths pet food problem proves, is that bigger is not always better. One company makes such a large protion of our pet food, is several smaller ones made it the impact would be much smaller.

Umm just picked up 4 cans of dog foor for the neighbor at .54 each, chicken noodle soup was .99
And Ramen? And the Generic? I have seen Generic soups at .40 cents per can...

I think that this is a myth that people desperate to "prove" their point use to create the emotive atmosphere.

I think I agree with Damo on this one. You can definitely get inexpensive food at the grocery store. I've seen ramen for $1/8packs. If the elderly are eating dog food, I think its probably a result of dimentia rather than than a conscience decision when they are at the grocery store to have dog food over regular food.

I love it that Iams and pukenuba and other gourmet brands are made by the same company as the el cheapo stuff is. Yep you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

I love it that Iams and pukenuba and other gourmet brands are made by the same company as the el cheapo stuff is. Yep you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

I went to the Eukanuba site, as directed by the MSNBC article, to see what products might be recalled, and got nowhere. It might be that the site hasn't been set up yet to deal with that link in their search feature, but this information has been out for at least a week and a half (I got the list from my dog club) and all the other brands on the list have a listing of the recalled products as soon as you click on them.

I feed Eukanuba Med. Breed puppy food (dry) to the little guy and ProPlan Med. Breed Adult (also dry) to the Aussie. All the recalled foods are canned or packaged (soft), and the only canned stuff they get is ProPlan, about a tablespoon with each dry meal for a bit of moisture and flavor.

The effects of the recalled foods can be horrendous: vomiting and kidney failure leading to death. I really feel for all those pet owners out there who are affected by this! How horrible.

Back