Pivotal songs

she left you for this guy?
eb4emc.jpg

More or less. Same contrived tough-guy schtick

please for all that is holy don't let this turn into another song thread.

I was being serious. Those songs were really pivotal to me. I was in a situation where they spoke to me. I ultimately got out of what I had been doing and they illustrated what I was going through.

The songs that are pivotal to me aren't pivotal due to the song so much as the memories that they bring back whenever I hear them.

Stuff like Mottley Crue's "Home Sweet Home"... While it isn't a bad song it certainly won't change anybody's life, yet the memories it brings back are epic, this was truly a pivotal time in my life.

that says it all everyone, 3d, who has the worst taste in music, likes tubthumping i am not surprised
The problem we have here is a failure to communicate. This is not about "taste in music". This is about a song representing a pivotal moment in your life. Ya'll are young, and I seriously doubt know what it's like to have a "really bad day" or what it's like to have life knock you on your ass and then dust your ass off and have a go at it again. Eventually, you will though! :)

You youngsters can be the most annoying music critics. First, if ya'll think music is about being cool as opposed to what moves you personally, then you're kinda missing the point.

Ya'll probably think Mozart is a French Cheese and still don't understand why Elvis is the King nor that no one in modern music has come even remotely close to anything as good as the White Album or Dark Side of the Moon. Sheeesh.

Well ya'll keep samplin shit and telling yourselves how cool it is. In the meantime, I'm going to listen to Ry Cooder, or Leo Kotke or maybe even Roy Clark strum some chords for real.

Last edited:
Ya'll probably think Mozart is a French Cheese and still don't understand why Elvis is the King nor that no one in modern music has come even remotely close to anything as good as the White Album or Dark Side of the Moon. Sheeesh.

I love all of that you mentioned. I know a lot about classic rock and classical even for a person my age (in the age of MP3's its easy to get ahold of the good classics, so we're a lot more knowledgeable about older music that the old people). None of that can be compared, however, to... Tubthumping...

Tubthumping is a song that a lot of people secretly like but are afraid to admit because they're so secretly annoyed by it. At the best of the song, it is not possible to compare it to anything you've mentioned here. It's a one hit wonder and the pristine example of how generic and bland rock got in the late 90's.

Well ya'll keep samplin shit and telling yourselves how cool it is.

I usually deal with straight guitar playing, myself. Sampling has its uses, but you have to be very good at it for you to not sound repetitive and bland.

Last edited:
And for the people here, Bob Dylan's most emo song:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9v0U8xWOQI"]YouTube - The Times They Are A Changin' - 07 Boots of Spanish Leather[/ame]

I love all of that you mentioned. I know a lot about classic rock and classical even for a person my age (in the age of MP3's its easy to get ahold of the good classics, so we're a lot more knowledgeable about older music that the old people). None of that can be compared, however, to... Tubthumping...

Tubthumping is a song that a lot of people secretly like but are afraid to admit because they're so secretly annoyed by it. At the best of the song, it is not possible to compare it to anything you've mentioned here. It's a one hit wonder and the pristine example of how generic and bland rock got in the late 90's.

I usually deal with straight guitar playing, myself. Sampling has its uses, but you have to be very good at it for you to not sound repetitive and bland.

My favorite time period for music happens to be late 90's alternative rock. The best song, IMO, was The Way, by Fastball. Of course, I also like 70s disco, and modern techno-dance, so all of the most hated stuff, basically...

Dude! You're missing the point. Little Ducky Duddle is a very meaningful and pivotal song to a friend of mine because that song was the first outside stimuli that her new born daughter with spina bifida responded to. She new then that her daughter would probably live (she did :-). It's all about perspective. And from that perspective, who gives a shit that it's a stupid kids song?

Just like tubthumping. I got seriously knocked on my ass and that stupid song helped me to get back up again. So it means a lot to me. That's what counts.

I should add that I am a prototypical 90s guy, and as such, I have been rediscovering earlier music pre-1997 lately. My favorite song of the 90s is officially Black Hole Sun now, as my roommate can verify.

I have also been becoming way more emo over the past several years, which is kind of sad...

My pivotal song, "Today", even though it was a song about suicide, I thought of it in a different way.

Pink Ribbons Scars that never forget, I tried so hard to cleanse my regret...

I gave that a personal meaning, my cancer scars and even though I tried to cleanse the regret, it has never happened, so instead, I embrace it.

Today, each new day, is a chance to begin again, and live in the Present.

Today is the greatest day I've ever known. It is another day I get to enjoy life!

Seek you Bliss, baby!

I should add that I am a prototypical 90s guy, and as such, I have been rediscovering earlier music pre-1997 lately. My favorite song of the 90s is officially Black Hole Sun now, as my roommate can verify.

I have also been becoming way more emo over the past several years, which is kind of sad...

growing up in seatle ive been there and done all that. I listened to all the 90's alterna for years, now im just sick of it, and it's on to other things for me. Though I do still like some of it.

Back