Playlist for my band...

I don't usually share personal info here, I've learned to avoid it, but I thought I would post a little tid-bit to get some feedback on this, our universal love... music.

Some of you know I play guitar, you may not be aware that I am in a band with two chicks... yep, liberal as hell too! But they can sing like you wouldn't believe. We are about ready to cut our first CD, and here are the list of songs we have...

1. Wish You Were Here -Pink Floyd
2. Three Hits - Indigo Girls
3. Polyester Bride/Sweet Jane -Liz Phair & Cowboy Junkies
4. Handle With Care - Travelling Willburys
5. What's Up? - Four Non Blondes
6. Sometimes Called Falling in Love - Lisa Loeb
7. Breathe (2AM) - Anna Nalick
8. To Love Somebody - Bee Gees
9. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
10. Everbody Knows -Dixie Chicks
11. Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones
12. Mississipi Blue - original song
13. Southside Birmingham - original song
14. Mary Janes Last Dance- Tom Petty
15. The Weight - The Band

Pretty good mix of styles, huh?

Dang you don't have bad taste at all Dix.

So you're familiar enough with Birmingham to know the Southside, but not familiar enough to know that it's 75% black. Interesting.

But seriously, it's a pretty good mix of songs.

Actually Southside is predominately white. Mostly liberal college kids. It's kind of the local 'hotspot' on the weekends. A lot of clubs and people hanging out at 5-points, playing music and getting tattoos 'n stuff. Birmingham city is kind of screwy, the area where I was born and raised (West End) is probably 95% black now. East side is mostly white/asian/mexican/black middle class, and downtown is the yuppies and kids, along with the homeless and prostitutes. There are not a lot of wealthy people living inside the city limits, unless they are old folks who have been there for years, there are still a few ol' blue bloods left.

Thanks on the songs, we have really worked hard at making them 'our own' and being creative in the presentation. At the end of Wish You Were Here, our lead singer breaks into the 'bridge' from Gun's n Roses 'Patience' ...I been walking these streets at night, just trying to get it right... It's really cool. Last Dance With Mary Jane is a little different, it's almost a "rap" version the way we do it, but we add backing harmony vocals in the chorus in an off-beat way, so the song really pops. We get a lot of compliments on our rendition. It's also surprising how many people ask us who does 'Dead Flowers', and didn't know it was a Stone's song... hey, it's about heroin addiction, who else could it be done by, right?

Actually Southside is predominately white. Mostly liberal college kids. It's kind of the local 'hotspot' on the weekends. A lot of clubs and people hanging out at 5-points, playing music and getting tattoos 'n stuff. Birmingham city is kind of screwy, the area where I was born and raised (West End) is probably 95% black now. East side is mostly white/asian/mexican/black middle class, and downtown is the yuppies and kids, along with the homeless and prostitutes. There are not a lot of wealthy people living inside the city limits, unless they are old folks who have been there for years, there are still a few ol' blue bloods left.

Thanks on the songs, we have really worked hard at making them 'our own' and being creative in the presentation. At the end of Wish You Were Here, our lead singer breaks into the 'bridge' from Gun's n Roses 'Patience' ...I been walking these streets at night, just trying to get it right... It's really cool. Last Dance With Mary Jane is a little different, it's almost a "rap" version the way we do it, but we add backing harmony vocals in the chorus in an off-beat way, so the song really pops. We get a lot of compliments on our rendition. It's also surprising how many people ask us who does 'Dead Flowers', and didn't know it was a Stone's song... hey, it's about heroin addiction, who else could it be done by, right?

I love the Southside. I've spent a lot of time there. The music scene around the Five Points is great.

West End is pretty hood lol. I don't know how long it's been like that, but if it was like that when you were raised there then kudos you prolly learned some serious shit.

Mostly good songs but your whole cd is going to be covers?

All but two songs are covers, but the covers are done in a unique way. We are already planning another CD of mostly original stuff, this one is mostly just to get our feet wet and record what we have done so far. I am also going to be working on another project with another band, of all Bob Dylan tunes, but that will probably be next year.

The southside is a great place. I used to love going to the champagne brunch at The Mill, and my fav restaurant is still The Highland Grill.

The money is still on the southside and then south of B'ham.

West side is ghetto. I remember when Bessemer was a good place to shop and such. Now its just a hole.

Back