Politeness Kills!

I think there are more men who would die saving their wives than you might think.

Its just that they rarely make the news.

I agree, and I also don't think that many men would throw a child overboard to save themselves, the way that Water, Epic, and Grind apparently would. You should talk to them, not me!

I agree, and I also don't think that many men would throw a child overboard to save themselves, the way that Water, Epic, and Grind apparently would. You should talk to them, not me!

Any man who is willing to throw a child overboard to save themselves isn't worth talking to on this topic.

I doubt they would listen. But hopefully there would be some other man around to rectify the situation.

I think keeping some civility is a good idea. Also think that those strongest should let weakest have the quickest out, which is where 'women and children first' comes from. Seems it's the norm for survival's sake:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKWJ0Y8W1ZUP38"]Amanda Ripley's Amazon Blog: How to Behave in a Plane Crash Permalink[/ame]

How to Behave in a Plane Crash
7:52 PM PST, January 15, 2009

I just watched Bill O’Reilly “interview” one of the survivors of the US Airways crash on Fox. I am reluctant to use the word interview since that would imply asking a question and then listening to the answer before talking again. But let’s put that aside for now. Seems she's not an O'Reilly fan.

Like most people, O’Reilly was absolutely convinced that there must have been panic and mayhem aboard the flight. He repeatedly questioned the survivor, a man who had barely dried off from a crash landing in the Hudson several hours before, about whether people were screaming and pushing on the plane. When the man explained that no, people had been generally calm and helpful, O’Reilly was amazed. He asked again and again why people had not become violent and hysterical, until the survivor agreed it was shocking indeed.

The truth is, in almost every disaster I have studied, people treat each other with kindness and respect. Violence and panic are extremely rare. An instant camraderie springs up between strangers--on a sinking ship or a bombed-out subway car. That is the rule, not the exception.

After the terrorist bombings on the London transit system on July 7, 2005, which killed 52 people and wounded hundreds, some victims actually resisted leaving the tube station. “I needed the [others] for comfort,” one survivor explained to U.K. psychologist John Drury. “I felt better knowing that I was surrounded by people.”

One study of U.S. mining disasters found that miners tended to follow their groups even if they disagreed with the group’s decisions. Grown men trapped underground would rather make a potentially fatal decision than be left alone.

In other airplane crashes, passengers have risked their lives because they climbed over seats to regroup with the rest of their family before evacuating. In skyscraper fires, people making arduous journeys down hundreds of stairs will tend to insist that those entering the stairwell from lower floors go ahead of them. In fact, I’ve yet to meet a 9/11 survivor who didn’t help or receive help from a stranger on the way out of the towers.

Why don’t we turn into raving maniacs? Because it is in our interest to be nice to each other. Under threat, we need each other more than ever.

all joking aside I would definitely have my wife or any woman for that matter get on a boat before me. It's really weird..... I'm pretty self-centered (in the true meaning of the word) but even I would be compelled to help other women in a crisis..... I think it might be something that is hardwired into guys brains.

all joking aside I would definitely have my wife or any woman for that matter get on a boat before me. It's really weird..... I'm pretty self-centered (in the true meaning of the word) but even I would be compelled to help other women in a crisis..... I think it might be something that is hardwired into guys brains.

I read a paper many years ago that proposed that men were hardwired to protect their mate in the same way that women are hardwired to protect their young. And for the same reasons.

Far be it for me to piss on this Australian bloke's theory, but did it ever occur to him that far fewer Americans died because, as the ship set out from Britain, there were relatively few American passengers on board? Moreover, the travelling Americans were almost all of a wealthy economic background and therefore unlikely to be confined to the bowels of the boat along with Leonardo Di Caprio and his retinue of oppressed Irish tinkers.

It can be no coincidence that the 3rd class passengers died in much greater numbers than the rich. Unless they were all at the back of the boat quaffing cognac and smoking cigars with the first-class passengers? In that era the well-to-do Edwardian gent liked nothing better than discussing the latest innovations in Art Nouveau with the downtrodden masses and the poor did make such wonderful ashtrays.

Far be it for me to piss on this Australian bloke's theory, but did it ever occur to him that far fewer Americans died because, as the ship set out from Britain, there were relatively few American passengers on board? Moreover, the travelling Americans were almost all of a wealthy economic background and therefore unlikely to be confined to the bowels of the boat along with Leonardo Di Caprio and his retinue of oppressed Irish tinkers.

It can be no coincidence that the 3rd class passengers died in much greater numbers than the rich. Unless they were all at the back of the boat quaffing cognac and smoking cigars with the first-class passengers? In that era the well-to-do Edwardian gent liked nothing better than discussing the latest innovations in Art Nouveau with the downtrodden masses and the poor did make such wonderful ashtrays.

LOL!

All good points.

ok i just thought uscitizen was making yet another non funny joke. that's how unfunny his jokes are, when he says regular things that aren't funny we have to assume it's just another idiotic one liner.

Back