Quantum theory is perhaps the most successful scientific idea ever.

BidenPresident

Verified User
Why relationships are the key to existence

From subatomic particles to human beings, interaction is what shapes reality

Quantum theory is perhaps the most successful scientific idea ever. So far, it has never been proved wrong. It is stupendously predictive, it has clarified the structure of the periodic table, the functioning of the sun, the colour of the sky, the nature of chemical bonds, the formation of galaxies and much more. The technologies we have been able to build as a result range from computers to lasers to medical instruments.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ea-why-relationships-are-the-key-to-existence

Last edited:
Maybe.

But you are tossing out an INCREDIBLE number of other theories to champion this one.

Besides, what possible difference does it make which is the 'best'?

I would have to see what the definition of the "most successful" theory is. That seems pretty subjective.

Quantum mechanics has been endlessly tested, and we had a very good idea of how it works. We still are somewhat mystified why it works. Quantum entanglement, superposition, and the wave function collapse are counterintuitive and even after 100 years nobody is exactly sure it means or why they work

The preeminent 20th century physicist Richard Feynman said that nobody really understands quantum mechanics.

I would have to see what the definition of the "most successful" theory is. That seems pretty subjective.

Quantum mechanics has been endlessly tested, and we had a very good idea of how it works. We still are somewhat mystified why it works. Quantum entanglement, superposition, and the wave function collapse are counterintuitive and even after 100 years nobody is exactly sure it means or why they work

The preeminent 20th century physicist Richard Feynman said that nobody really understands quantum mechanics.

Feynman died 34 years ago.

You are not a physicist. Stop lying.

I was employed as a geophysicist in one of my careers and I have spent most of my adult life reading about physics among other topics.

I would say quantum mechanics is arguably the most successful theory because it has been relentlessly tested for almost a century and never failed a test, and it is the type of physics that underlies the modern electronic and digital economy.

I think generally relativity and evolution by natural selection are the most satisfying theories, scientifically and philosophically.

CounterPoint:

Even Physicists Don’t Understand Quantum Mechanics
Worse, they don’t seem to want to understand it

“I think I can safely say that nobody really understands quantum mechanics,” observed the physicist and Nobel laureate Richard Feynman. That’s not surprising, as far as it goes. Science makes progress by confronting our lack of understanding, and quantum mechanics has a reputation for being especially mysterious.

What’s surprising is that physicists seem to be O.K. with not understanding the most important theory they have.

Quantum mechanics, assembled gradually by a group of brilliant minds over the first decades of the 20th century, is an incredibly successful theory. We need it to account for how atoms decay, why stars shine, how transistors and lasers work and, for that matter, why tables and chairs are solid rather than immediately collapsing onto the floor.

Scientists can use quantum mechanics with perfect confidence. But it’s a black box. We can set up a physical situation, and make predictions about what will happen next that are verified to spectacular accuracy. What we don’t do is claim to understand quantum mechanics. Physicists don’t understand their own theory any better than a typical smartphone user understands what’s going on inside the device.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/opinion/sunday/quantum-physics.html

CounterPoint:

Even Physicists Don’t Understand Quantum Mechanics
Worse, they don’t seem to want to understand it

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/opinion/sunday/quantum-physics.html

You're trying to get more mileage out of Feynman's comment than is actually there.

Nothing about Feynman's comment implies quantum mechanics has not been an extraordinarily successful theory.

From the perspective of scientific realism, it makes all the right predictions, and has never been falsified. That is ultimately what counts in a scientific theory.

Science generally is not equipped to answer the metaphysical questions: what causes quantum entanglement, what causes the wave function collapse, why should a body of mass warp spacetime, why is the speed of light the same in all reference frames?

Why relationships are the key to existence

From subatomic particles to human beings, interaction is what shapes reality

Quantum theory is perhaps the most successful scientific idea ever. So far, it has never been proved wrong. It is stupendously predictive, it has clarified the structure of the periodic table, the functioning of the sun, the colour of the sky, the nature of chemical bonds, the formation of galaxies and much more. The technologies we have been able to build as a result range from computers to lasers to medical instruments.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ea-why-relationships-are-the-key-to-existence

totalitarianism is a TOXIC relationship though.

single points of failure are a known problem that totalitarians ignore.

they're pathological tyrants. and you're one of the worst.

:truestory:

Will anyone ever answer the question of what was there before there was anything?

Could a state of infinite nothingness have ever existed?

Back