Rays Take 4 in Boston

FOOTBALL is the number one sport in this country. Hands down. Not even close.

This is because we have a lot of stupid morons in this country. The more one likes football, the stupider of a person they are. Football fans have very low intelligence.

Actually, I know this will draw scorn, but I've said this before and will continue to say it, but the most difficult sport to play is golf. You can knock it as a gay, slow-moving club activity for senior citizens, but the odds are you don't play it well at all...

No way. How many former pro athletes are VERY good at golf? I know Robin Yount considered going pro. Now let's see Chi Chi Rodriguez hit a plus fastball, go out and tackle some 250 lb guy or even make wide open baskets effectively.

Hitting a baseball, throwing strikes, shooting baskets, passing a football or even kicking field goals effectively requires the ability to repeat proper form just as golf, throwing darts, bowling or shooting pool does. But in the second grouping there is no opponent contesting your shot. It's even considered rude to make noise while the "athlete" shoots. In football you got big fast guys running at you while you stand in a non defensive position. In baseball, the ball moves at different speeds/directions and there is the possibility it will hit the batter. Even in basketball you can expect a hand in your face.

Golf is a fine game and being good at it requires skill, dedication and hard work. But it just does not compare to real sports, which require a combination of form and a far greater degree of athleticism.

This is because we have a lot of stupid morons in this country. The more one likes football, the stupider of a person they are. Football fans have very low intelligence.

And there are a lot of casual football fans. People who never played a down in their lives and probably only became interested because of an office pool or fantasy league. They would not know a 4-3 from a prevent defense and if they do it's because Madden taught them in a video game.

You don't have that to the same degree in baseball. Most baseball fans know the game relatively well. I think it is largely due to the fact that you can't really follow baseball casually.

Yeah, that college baseball game where the runner sommersaulted over the catcher and was safe at home. I have the suspicion that the opposing coach argued he was technically out of the baseline and should be called out. Its the only argument that comes to mind. I know me some baseball!! :cool:

Yeah, that college baseball game where the runner sommersaulted over the catcher and was safe at home. I have the suspicion that the opposing coach argued he was technically out of the baseline and should be called out. Its the only argument that comes to mind. I know me some baseball!! :cool:

What point is that meant to make? That baseball is simple? There are a lot more intricacies to the game than that. I can't get my rec league softball teammates to understand that pushing for another base when you are behind by a lot of runs is just stupid.

Casual fans have little understanding of the finer points in any game. But, football has a higher percentage of casual fans than any sport.

What point is that meant to make? That baseball is simple? There are a lot more intricacies to the game than that. I can't get my rec league softball teammates to understand that pushing for another base when you are behind by a lot of runs is just stupid.

Casual fans have little understanding of the finer points in any game. But, football has a higher percentage of casual fans than any sport.

Yeah, I understand. And of course, there's the old baseball adage (regardless of score), never be the third out at third base. Casual fans would say damn the torpedos, triples are awesome!! We know that a runner on second base is considered to be in scoring position, anyway...

I hate seeing runners make outs at third, period. It's okay to stretch for two, because you take away a double play opportunity and may create a tougher play for the left side of the infield. Home if you are down by 1 or tied. But the reward for getting to third is small compared to risk of giving up an out and base runner. You should be pretty sure you can make it if you are going for third.

But stretching for anything more than second when you are down by a lot of runs late is completely pointless. You still need others to score behind you or your run is meaningless and the risk giving up one of your precious few outs is far too great. It's a sin that should be punishable by death.

I hate seeing runners make outs at third, period. It's okay to stretch for two, because you take away a double play opportunity and may create a tougher play for the left side of the infield. Home if you are down by 1 or tied. But the reward for getting to third is small compared to risk of giving up an out and base runner. You should be pretty sure you can make it if you are going for third.

But stretching for anything more than second when you are down by a lot of runs late is completely pointless. You still need others to score behind you or your run is meaningless and the risk giving up one of your precious few outs is far too great. It's a sin that should be punishable by death.

:clink:

Back