APP - Reason is not Rational

How does one determine if one is brainwashed ? Can anyone provide specific instructions? I once asked a sociology professor who was arguing mental illness is a social construct what would happen if the social construct one day collapsed? Could it be as Stanley Fish and other language philosophers debate it is all in the words we use, in the community of words, but then without words what would we say. ;) More importantly what would we know we know. Back to how do we determine our mind is fill of dirty laundry and requires washing or is that un-washing?

"We all are born mad. Some remain so." Samuel Beckett

How does one determine if one is brainwashed ? Can anyone provide specific instructions? I once asked a sociology professor who was arguing mental illness is a social construct what would happen if the social construct one day collapsed? Could it be as Stanley Fish and other language philosophers debate it is all in the words we use, in the community of words, but then without words what would we say. ;) More importantly what would we know we know. Back to how do we determine our mind is fill of dirty laundry and requires washing or is that un-washing?

"We all are born mad. Some remain so." Samuel Beckett

If you say you believe one thing, but then actively support something different, but merely make a false distinction in language to cover your own hypocrisy, you're probably brainwashed.

For example, people who say they are against race and gender discrimination but still support affirmative action against white males are brainwashed.

If you say you believe one thing, but then actively support something different, but merely make a false distinction in language to cover your own hypocrisy, you're probably brainwashed.

For example, people who say they are against race and gender discrimination but still support affirmative action against white males are brainwashed.

The problem with your example is anyone who lives in the real world knows that without AA our current world may not even exist. It forced discrimination out in the open. As the thread topic notes, reason or actions are not always rational if viewed from too narrow a belief system. The sign of sense and intelligence is the ability to hold contrary views and yet remain sane. Believing something doesn't make it true and contingent thought is often required. But here is a piece that sorta supports your position. I would think these people are brainwashed?

"Every Wednesday morning, a group of conspirators meets to plot out how to most effectively attack the federal government. This is not a group of rag-tag terrorists – they wear $2,000 suits and occupy powerful positions in society. But their ideas are politically radical and they do pose a real threat to the normal workings of government in the U.S. They are a group of leading conservatives who believe that government is a malevolent force in society and they have a fierce determination to drastically cut it back. They are convinced that the central problem in our country is too much government – too many social programs, too many regulations, and too much taxation – and they are committed to doing something about it." http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=9

I was fascinated when I saw this thread, I had forgotten it but recently was re-reading parts of Parfit's book. Parfit moved on to 'What Matters' which he put online for a few years asking for comments or working out his thoughts on what matters. If you check Youtube, his sons did some short interviews to introduce you to one of the thinkers of our times. He will make you think should you enter.

Interesting the link I posted still works. Edge is an excellent site. "The puzzle is, why are humans so amazingly bad at reasoning in some contexts, and so amazingly good in others?"

"It is not enough to ask, Will my act harm other people? Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people? The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great." Derek Parfit

http://philosophynow.org/issues/87/On_What_Matters_by_Derek_Parfit

Back