Recommendations for Nawlins trip?

Canceled.2014.1

We're headed down to New Orleans for a weekend getaway. I've been to the Big Easy many times, but I thought I ask the folks out here for any recommendations.

Anybody?

I've never been there but have a great trip. I'm doin a little trout fishin with my father-in-law this weekend.

I'm going to Lincoln to watch one of my goddaughters graduate from High School... Frickin' Lincoln, NE.

Damo, that is love. Pretty much the only thing to drag anyone to Lincoln NE.

One day maybe we can arrange a weekend where you can get to New Orleans and we'll meet you there. Creole and Cajun food, jazz & blues, and some good company sounds like a weekend to me.

Lots of deodorant, light clothing, hangover remedies, and an appreciation of God's gift to man- crawfish.

Best gumbo acme oyster house french quarter
Restraints redfish grill, mr b's bistro both in quarter
Commander palace if you want to impress the wife
Music at house of blues qtr

Yummy, I wonder how NO oysters compare to Katchemak Bay oyster?

I love seafood

NO has some amazing seafood. Of course, they have some amazing food in general. I used to go for the party. Now I go for the food, the music, and the architecture. Yep, I'm old.

One thing I know will be on the agenda is lunch a Bayonna. Susan Spicer has been there 22 years, so they have salad & entrees for $22 and $0.22 martinis.

I've also heard there is a new seafood restaurant, Pesce, that is excellent.

We're headed down to New Orleans for a weekend getaway. I've been to the Big Easy many times, but I thought I ask the folks out here for any recommendations.

Anybody?

Well, for one thing, I'd just like to point out that people in New Orleans are widely renowned for their extensive knowledge concerning the locale in which vistors "got dem shoes" (to use the charming New Orleans colloquialism), and you will likely lose any bets you place against their ability to accurately tell you where you got dem. If the stranger in question bears resemblance to a homeless beggar, do not let your guard down and assume they're ignorant. In fact, homeless New Orleaners are, if anything, usually the greatest scholars in the subject.

Last edited:
During the day, Jackson Square is nice...lots of artists, street musicians and a huge flea market.

I took a river cruise on the Natchez once....that was cool. They had Tommy Castro on the ground floor of the riverboat...it wasn't all that expensive either...but that was a while ago.

Commanders only for sunday brunch; bread pudding suffle and turtle soup is the best
GW Finns; best lobster ravioli
Remoulade; on Bourbon; great food very casual
Brennan's
If you have time do swamp tour. If they are still in business Louisiana Swamp Tours is the best
Cafe Dumonde for beignets
Mothers has best po boys
Red Fish Grill great for lunch; on Bourbon
Pascal's Manale - best barbeque shrimp
Cheesecake Bistro is very good
Last but not least K Paul Louisiana Kitchen. Everything is fresh. He has no freezers

Have fun.

Back