Recommendations for Nawlins trip?

If you can remember a trip to NO you're either old or you haven't really been there.

only the ignorant and unwashed think that about New Orleans. It is a city steeped in culture, history and great food. The whole "partying" on Bourbon St is a marketing creation to serve and attract the aforementioned ignorant and unwashed. Of course we were happy to take their money because they kept their debauchery confined to one street. But, there is much more to see of New Orleans than partying.

It has one of the best Aquariums and Zoos in the country. As I said before, doing a swamp tour is a must see. Lots of plantations, river tours. You can head to Avery island to see where they make Tobasco Sauce. Superdome is worth a visit as is Tiger Stadium if you have about 4 hours for a drive out to Baton Rouge and back.

But I am sure that you think you were being "cool" or "cute" with the high school reference :)

only the ignorant and unwashed think that about New Orleans. It is a city steeped in culture, history and great food. The whole "partying" on Bourbon St is a marketing creation to serve and attract the aforementioned ignorant and unwashed. Of course we were happy to take their money because they kept their debauchery confined to one street. But, there is much more to see of New Orleans than partying.

It has one of the best Aquariums and Zoos in the country. As I said before, doing a swamp tour is a must see. Lots of plantations, river tours. You can head to Avery island to see where they make Tobasco Sauce. Superdome is worth a visit as is Tiger Stadium if you have about 4 hours for a drive out to Baton Rouge and back.

But I am sure that you think you were being "cool" or "cute" with the high school reference :)
Lighten up Frances. I was joking.

Been to the Aquarium...it is very nice. Been to Avery Island to... pretty good tour. Don't give a shit about stadiums, but I did take the superdome tour many moons ago.(1980's).

I lived in Alexandria for about a year. Used to make the occasional trip to NO back then. My sister lived in Alexandria for a while, then moved out by Cotile Lake around in Boyce. My Mother moved down later to escape the PA winters and be closer to my Sister in her old age(Sis is an RN). After mom passed awaynin '04, sis stayed a few more years, then.moved up to Fayettville, NC.

I always liked going up to Natchitoches. Very pretty town.

Bourbon st is a great job for a bartender!
If the market ever crashes, that's where I'll be working.
Oh I could imagine. I was only in NO once about 15 years ago on business. What I remember the most was that the city was....ah...well...ah rather aromatic...not to mention hot and humid (it was summer). After we finished with business for the day we hit Bourbon st where we had a meal and then went to a Blues Bar, then back to the hotel room and early up the next AM and back to work.

Oh I could imagine. I was only in NO once about 15 years ago on business. What I remember the most was that the city was....ah...well...ah rather aromatic...not to mention hot and humid (it was summer). After we finished with business for the day we hit Bourbon st where we had a meal and then went to a Blues Bar, then back to the hotel room and early up the next AM and back to work.

NO in the summer is not my first choice. But it is when we can go. I'm hoping for a longer visit in the fall. To say Nawlins is "aromatic" is an understatement.

Best gumbo acme oyster house french quarter
Restraints redfish grill, mr b's bistro both in quarter
Commander palace if you want to impress the wife
Music at house of blues qtr

Agree with pretty much everything but the House of Blues suggestion.

That place is so overpriced it's ridiculous...you can get just some excellent Zydeco or Blues on Bourbon St in one of the little local bars.

NO in the summer is not my first choice. But it is when we can go. I'm hoping for a longer visit in the fall. To say Nawlins is "aromatic" is an understatement.
I was being polite. :)

I will admit I was impressed by the numbers of attractive local women. Pretty much every shade you can think of.

Nawlins is a blast furnace in summer, we've had very good tennis players from the mid west just wilt in the humidity.
Yea I've had plenty of experience in working with high heat and humidity. It takes about two months of constant exposure for the body to adapt and even then you have to modify your pace or you blow up from heat stress.

Back