Religious/Atheist Poll

Where do you fall on the Religious scale? See Defination Below of God

• I believe in God, but passively. Dont attend service much. Don't read texts much.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Some people have a hard time saying there is no god, and may decide that there could be some form of energy in the universe that is super conscious, or that solar wind or the horse nebula is god.

I think for all practical purposes, we are going to have to define god as something that has a higher understanding, a higher purpose, and the ability to affect change at various points in the universe.

Last edited:
I dont know why people cant just except what they know for sure is true and then try to live a happy life while remaining decent so others can try to live a happy life.

Why does everyone think they need to make up stories to fill in what is not yet known?

if i make stories and my stories end up being true, well then I'm in good shape. But if you don't make up stories then according to my stories you are going to burn.

I suppose it was much easier to believe in God in years past.

Anything you didn't understand could be dismissed as either a demon, the work of a demon, or just a bit demonic.

Whatever happened to demons, eh? If the Church brought back demons i may be tempted to become religious.

How much does the Demon position pay I wonder?

ratzinger.jpg

"I don't get any actual money but i get a dead cool house, all the dresses a man could possibly want and i get to send people to hell. That's right gaybo i'm looking at you."

Although I can technically accept that god might exist, I believe that the chance of him actually existing is so infinitesimal it's not worth consideration. There are a million things that more logically explain things before you get to god.

I also don't believe that life is meaningless because of the absence of god. Nietschze's beliefs explained how this is philosophical error pretty well:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...ist&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Stanley Rosen identifies Nietzsche's equation of nihilism with "the situation which obtains when 'everything is permitted.'"[10] Nietzsche asserts that this nihilism is a result of valuing "higher", "divine" or "meta-physical" things (such as God), that do not in turn value "base", "human" or "earthly" things. But a person who rejects God and the divine may still retain the belief that all "base", "earthly", or "human" ideas are still valueless because they were considered so in the previous belief system (such as a Christian who becomes a communist and believes fully in the party structure and leader). In this interpretation, any form of idealism, after being rejected by the idealist, leads to nihilism. Moreover, this is the source of "inconsistency on the part of the nihilists". The nihilist continues to believe that only "higher" values and truths are worthy of being called such, but rejects the idea that they exist. Because of this rejection, all ideas described as true or valuable are rejected by the nihilist as impossible because they do not meet the previously established standards.

Although I can technically accept that god might exist, I believe that the chance of him actually existing is so infinitesimal it's not worth consideration. There are a million things that more logically explain things before you get to god.

I also don't believe that life is meaningless because of the absence of god. Nietschze's beliefs explained how this is philosophical error pretty well:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...ist&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Stanley Rosen identifies Nietzsche's equation of nihilism with "the situation which obtains when 'everything is permitted.'"[10] Nietzsche asserts that this nihilism is a result of valuing "higher", "divine" or "meta-physical" things (such as God), that do not in turn value "base", "human" or "earthly" things. But a person who rejects God and the divine may still retain the belief that all "base", "earthly", or "human" ideas are still valueless because they were considered so in the previous belief system (such as a Christian who becomes a communist and believes fully in the party structure and leader). In this interpretation, any form of idealism, after being rejected by the idealist, leads to nihilism. Moreover, this is the source of "inconsistency on the part of the nihilists". The nihilist continues to believe that only "higher" values and truths are worthy of being called such, but rejects the idea that they exist. Because of this rejection, all ideas described as true or valuable are rejected by the nihilist as impossible because they do not meet the previously established standards.

I both agree that the chance of God existing is small and that there is great meaning in life regardless. And here I had you pegged as a pessimist this whole time, but I was wrong!

Either gods do not exist or they are completely unconcerned with our inconsequential lives.

The result is the same.

I both agree that the chance of God existing is small and that there is great meaning in life regardless. And here I had you pegged as a pessimist this whole time, but I was wrong!
Just because he thinks the meaning is "dark" doesn't mean he can't think there's a meaning.

The movie bites. You can watch the mini-series and do better, but neither is as good as the book by a long shot.

Many would say the original radio series was far superior.

Nevertheless, i have heard talk that a corrupt uncle of mine may have uploaded the audiobook, as narrated by the impeccable Stephen Frys, if anyone were to be interested in such a thing?

Back