Remembering Greg Lake

http://www.greglake.com/index.html

^ homepage

He first won worldwide acclaim as lead vocalist, bass guitarist and producer when together with Robert Fripp he formed King Crimson. Their first album, In Court of the Crimson King, co-produced by Greg, featured the iconic song "21st Century Schizoid Man." King Crimson pioneered progressive rock and paved the way for famous bands that followed, including Yes and Genesis all the way through to bands such as The Red Hot Chilli Peppers and countless others.

I feel the same -although I found the Dead boring in concert too..

I can't believe this. Keith Emerson in January,and Greg Lake in December.. I saw them in 71 -outstanding
Yea but a Dead show was more than just a concert. It was a cultural event. I saw both ELP and ELO live in the late 70's. Both had two of the best light shows I ever saw at concert. They don't emphasize light shows at rock concerts like they used too. Was that a hippy thing?

Yea but a Dead show was more than just a concert. It was a cultural event. I saw both ELP and ELO live in the late 70's. Both had two of the best light shows I ever saw at concert. They don't emphasize light shows at rock concerts like they used too. Was that a hippy thing?
true. I was expecting some hits at the Dead show,and they went into a jam..The best light show I ever saw was Wings tour Over America-
at least the first time I saw laser lights * and was was heavily tripping..so maybe that* ..Heck we can't even light up lighters anymore!

It's all about business now-the shows used to support the album releases-now it's $1000 tix..

Yes. The music is center stage now.

I thought that about the Grateful Dead. Their albums sucked. Then I saw them in concert.

You didn't like "Live Dead?" Even the cover made it interesting, not great musically, but put in the correct time frame and setting, it's classic, first time most of America heard "Dark Star," flaws and all

And your correct, the Who were never punk, latter Townsend trying to pass them off as such in reaction to the Punk popularity in London.

I feel the same -although I found the Dead boring in concert too..

I can't believe this. Keith Emerson in January,and Greg Lake in December.. I saw them in 71 -outstanding

Dude I was one of the freaks at Dead shows, I am sure we met at some point if you went to a few shows. Never did a show not tripping though. Did they really suck?
Just kidding I love listening to the Dead on the radio too. I guess if I wasn't totally shattered I wouldn't have wanted to be there.

Meh that was a one off. The Punk Rock genre wasn't really didn't come together until the mid 70's. The Who simply didn't fit that genre. They were far to good a musicians.
So what about when they used to smash up their instruments in the early days at the Marquee Club?

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Not everyday that you'd see Greg Lake and Ian Anderson playing together.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Who may have influenced punk but the Sex Pistols were the first well known Punk act. Then it morphed into that God awful New Wave shit which wasn't as bad as Disco and it did spin off the New Wave Hookers video Series so I guess it had some redeeming value.

Dude I was one of the freaks at Dead shows, I am sure we met at some point if you went to a few shows. Never did a show not tripping though. Did they really suck?
Just kidding I love listening to the Dead on the radio too. I guess if I wasn't totally shattered I wouldn't have wanted to be there.
depends on the acid...the speedy crappy stuff didn't go well with the Dead.
I never had clinical -i did get a lot of 4 way windowpane which was pure enough. I appreciate the Dead more now then I did then.
But I still love the classical trained musicians/influences of ELP .

Back