Rentavette

You just need to know where to drive and use a little common sense. I take my little Roadster out on the back country roads and drive at high speeds where the cops rarely are. I too have a perfect driving record.

The only places that I drive fast is on on-ramps and twisties where the posted speed limit is pretty much unobtainable on most stretches. Lots of roads like that in the Blue Ridge.

Back in the day I had an '85 TBird 5.0, which is basically a Mustang (Fox) with a longer chassis, and I had that set up with the right tires, parts and tuning to handle very nicely. My commute home included a two-lane on ramp from a 6 lane commercial to an interstate. One day a FWD ricer tried to race me so I got it up to 70 on the ramp and we were neck and neck going into a 75 degree curve then onto the highway. We hit the curve at the same time, I was on the inside and I got on the throttle to get traction to the rear tires and help steer. Dumbass in the ricer hit the brake and spun out. He got real small real fast in my rear view.

It's got an LS-4. It was rated at 275hp (but has more ;)) plus it's got a lot of torque. The serious de-tuning didn't start until '75 for the Vettes.

Not sure about your state but here in NC you can take all that mid 70's emission crap off, rebuild for high compression and build a nice car. If its over 35 years old you can register it as an antique and never have to get an annual inspection. Plus the local municipality can only tax you based on a $500 valuation. I have two cars that I have set up that way.

Not sure about your state but here in NC you can take all that mid 70's emission crap off, rebuild for high compression and build a nice car. If its over 35 years old you can register it as an antique and never have to get an annual inspection. Plus the local municipality can only tax you based on a $500 valuation. I have two cars that I have set up that way.

I could do all that but I don't want to. It was my dad's car and I don't want to mess with it plus it quarter-miles in under 14 sec any way.

I could do all that but I don't want to. It was my dad's car and I don't want to mess with it plus it quarter-miles in under 14 sec any way.

I have my wife's stepdad's 64 TBird HT but unlike yours it was a mess when I "inherited" it. He had four sons, and they hated that car back when I bought it for $1 back in '86. They all took turns abusing it. Plus it was NYC area and they drove it winters. So I had no qualms making literally dozens of mods. I've spent twice what it's worth not counting my labor. His sons are a bit jealous of it now though, lol.

Big block 390, hydraulic roller cam, EFI, overdrive transmission- you name it and it's in there.

Back in the late 80's I trained, three day classes at Watkins Glen, two years in a row. We used our own cars. Me and my lightly modified '85 TBird, lots of guys in Mustangs, 'Vettes, and more Ferraris than I've seen since. One 60's muscle car that couldn't make turns worth crap.

I did have a fast car once, it was a Cobra kit car but it's no longer with us. I've got a Daytona 65 kit out in the barn to replace it but I really haven't even started putting it together yet.

If I was going to build another car, and I might, I'd like to do a 65 Mustang fastback from a Dynacorn chassis. All new steel, thicker gauge where problem areas have been discovered on the factory cars. I'd like to use a 10th generation (89-97) Tbird as a donor for the suspension, because that was an IRS car. I'd use a Coyote crate engine under the hood. I could probably use the VIN off of the donor, but I have not researched the legality.

If I was going to build another car, and I might, I'd like to do a 65 Mustang fastback from a Dynacorn chassis. All new steel, thicker gauge where problem areas have been discovered on the factory cars. I'd like to use a 10th generation (89-97) Tbird as a donor for the suspension, because that was an IRS car. I'd use a Coyote crate engine under the hood. I could probably use the VIN off of the donor, but I have not researched the legality.

You mean the rear wheel wells?

As I said earlier, there's a reason why I have a clean- no, perfect- driving record.

I had to do 90 last night though, in my Jeep coming back from the airport. Some dumbass in a Honda minivan was doing 4-over in the left. No traffic. I had the cruise set at 7 over and passed him on the right. When he saw this he sped up, and I was like, you want to race me you miserable muthafucka? He did. He kept up with me until we both hit 85, then I put it to the floor and cut in front of him. He turned on his high beams (of course) and then mummy in the passenger seat made him slow down. I coasted back to 7 over and dumbass kept his highs on for the next 20 miles, 1/4 mile behind me.

I've found Honda minivan drivers to be the worst left lane offenders. They must be so pissed of at having to drive shut a shitty car that they feel the need to make everyone around them miserable.

When some dumbass does the "high beams" behind me, I just adjust my mirrors and shine it back at him.

It doesn't really affect them; but it's my way of showing them that their tantrum is also having no affect on me. :D

When some dumbass does the "high beams" behind me, I just adjust my mirrors and shine it back at him.

It doesn't really affect them; but it's my way of showing them that their tantrum is also having no affect on me. :D

I used to have to do that in my other cars, but the Jeep has auto-dim on the interior mirror and the outside mirror is high enough where I usually don't get a reflection.

Back