Republicans Hating Science: Part 5,783

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Former Surgeon General Was Muzzled, Censored By Bush Administration

Richard Carmona served as President Bush’s first Surgeon General from 2002-2006. Today he spoke before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and revealed that political appointees in the Bush administration muzzled him on key issues such as “stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration’s embrace of ‘abstinence-only’ sex education”:

"[A]lthough most Americans believe that their Surgeon General has the ability to impact the course of public health as “the nation’s doctor,” the reality is that the nation’s doctor has been marginalized and relegated to a position with no independent budget, and with supervisors who are political appointees with partisan agendas. Anything that doesn’t fit into the political appointees’ ideological, theological, or political agenda is ignored, marginalized, or simply buried."

Watch it part of Carmona’s testimony:

thinkprogress.org

"as “stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration’s embrace of ‘abstinence-only’ sex education”:"

Again the need to clarify since you are the king of spin.... there is NO "abstinence-only" policy... the stem cell research in question is on EMBRYONIC stem cell research, it ONLY includes bans on federal funding, states can choose to invest in that line should they so desire. CA and Misery are two of the ones that have already done so. Private groups/corps can also invest in that line.

Is that the knee-jerk reaction these days about Republicans dismissing science?

"Democrats do too!! You believe the moon is made of cheese!"

By the way, how much do you know about the Bush administration and their refusal to fund sex ed programs that are anything but abstinence only curriculums? My guess: 0.

And about stem cells, there are Republicans that are try to make stem cell research ILLEGAL, not just federal funding. One such Republican: Mitt Romney.

scince is all that much diffrent then religion...

its a theroy until proven

or it a belief until proven

allthough scince is much easier to prove

Is that the knee-jerk reaction these days about Republicans dismissing science?

"Democrats do too!! You believe the moon is made of cheese!"

By the way, how much do you know about the Bush administration and their refusal to fund sex ed programs that are anything but abstinence only curriculums? My guess: 0.

The programs are designed to teach abstinence FIRST... not abstinence only.

"And about stem cells, there are Republicans that are try to make stem cell research ILLEGAL, not just federal funding. One such Republican: Mitt Romney."

Again... you are using the ever present tactic to lump all stem cell research together. Also, I never said that there may or may not be a Rep out there that would like to ban embryotic stem cell research all together. I am sure there are. That is not the point of this thread... but hey... good for you.

The programs are designed to teach abstinence FIRST... not abstinence only.

Uh.. yeah it is the point of the thread. The thread is about Republicans hating science. Then I gave you the name of the current Republican front-running PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE (not some obscure representative) who wants to ban it all together.

This is another great example of the Republican aversion to science. It's abhorrent and it has NO place in 21st century politics.

Are you so stupid you don't understand the difference between adult and embryonic stem cells?

Romney wants to ban it outright. If you back him, you should have your head chopped off and your stem cells sucked out of you with a tube to help the part of the human race who can still contribute to society.

scince is all that much diffrent then religion...

its a theroy until proven

or it a belief until proven

allthough scince is much easier to prove

wow.. crazy... i havent been attacked yet

Yes I know the difference....

Are you so stupid you don't understand the difference between adult and embryonic stem cells?

Romney wants to ban it outright. If you back him, you should have your head chopped off and your stem cells sucked out of you with a tube to help the part of the human race who can still contribute to society.

and I am not a supporter of Romney...I just pointed out your sound bites for effect...to make your complaint sound as if it were warranted...thats all...back to class with you!

addendum: obviously you did not read the link I posted above...it clearly states that Romney is not against "Existing" embryonic stem cells just the harvesting of new ones from abortion clinics...Dah!

Last edited:
"as “stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration’s embrace of ‘abstinence-only’ sex education”:"

Again the need to clarify since you are the king of spin.... there is NO "abstinence-only" policy... the stem cell research in question is on EMBRYONIC stem cell research, it ONLY includes bans on federal funding, states can choose to invest in that line should they so desire. CA and Misery are two of the ones that have already done so. Private groups/corps can also invest in that line.

Superfreak: "Again the need to clarify since you are the king of spin.... there is NO "abstinence-only" policy... "

In providing nearly $170 million next year to fund groups that teach abstinence only, the Bush administration, with backing from the Republican Congress, is investing heavily in a just-say-no strategy for teenagers and sex.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26623-2004Dec1.html

Well, bob, you usually make a lot more sense than that, so we figured you were indulging as your avatar seems to suggest. That post was just silly and you know it. :)

ya its silly.

i wish i could indulge... works got me locked down right now, ive been here almost 26 hours now.... that may explain my post iguess... i think i am going to have my GF pick me up. i think i would be about as bad as a piss drunk driver right now.. startting to see double..:shock:

ya its silly.

i wish i could indulge... works got me locked down right now, ive been here almost 26 hours now.... that may explain my post iguess... i think i am going to have my GF pick me up. i think i would be about as bad as a piss drunk driver right now.. startting to see double..:shock:

not only that acording to one of my co-workers i need a shower... i think i agree

and I am not a supporter of Romney...I just pointed out your sound bites for effect...to make your complaint sound as if it were warranted...thats all...back to class with you!

addendum: obviously you did not read the link I posted above...it clearly states that Romney is not against "Existing" embryonic stem cells just the harvesting of new ones from abortion clinics...Dah!

This is what I hate about conservatives. They're just plain misinformed about just about everything. Here's a real link to a real (credible) newspaper, and you may do your own searching to verify it.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...16/kennedy_rips_romney_over_stem_cell_policy/

WASHINGTON -- Senator Edward M. Kennedy yesterday blasted Governor Mitt Romney's proposal to ban the cloning of embryos for stem cell research, saying the governor's approach would rob Massachusetts of the benefits of one of the most promising areas of scientific research.

As I said, Romney wants to ban embryonic stem cell research in his own state - make it illegal.

Back