RIP Anthony Bourdain

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Shocking news this morning. World traveler and chef Anthony Bourdain committed suicide.

I’m terribly saddened. I loved his show and his conversational manner of story telling.

I could relate to Bourdain’s background as I worked in the restaurant business in high school and college and could relate to the characters he wrote about and the drug culture/outsider status of workers in that business from personal experience.

It’s a sad day today.

travel well my talented friend

we need to treat depression in this nation

Do you think Bourdain couldn't afford psychiatric treatment? I'm not trying to be a jerk evince, but your point is rather silly. Are you suggesting we should force people to undergo treatment for depression against their will?

Do you think Bourdain couldn't afford psychiatric treatment? I'm not trying to be a jerk evince, but your point is rather silly. Are you suggesting we should force people to undergo treatment for depression against their will?

when it becomes standard practice to treat it instead of to ignore it more people will be willing to ask for help

how do other countries deal with it idiot

they treat all mental illness

not just the cases that make some asshole money

I would contribute to a Fund for the Forum Groupie, That Owl Woman. She seems starved for attention and is reaching out in her desperate call for Help.

What makes you think it's not standard practice?

There is still a huge stigma against mental illness in this country, including depression. Just look at how we here throw psychiatric labels as insults at each other. "She's not well," "You're a psycho," "He's insane," "Kill yourself," etc. People are often reluctant to seek treatment because of that stigma. Others find the medications difficult to tolerate. And unfortunately, the risk of suicide is sometimes highest right after the person first begins taking anti-depressants.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3353604/

I would contribute to a Fund for the Forum Groupie, That Owl Woman. She seems starved for attention and is reaching out in her desperate call for Help.

Poor Katrina/Jack/Hairy Harry/Skip/Winston Smith/Eddie/Jasper/Malik Hussein/Red N./Skeeter/Jib, etc. etc. Isn't it time for your diaper change and nap?

There is still a huge stigma against mental illness in this country, including depression. Just look at how we here throw psychiatric labels as insults at each other. "She's not well," "You're a psycho," "He's insane," "Kill yourself," etc. People are often reluctant to seek treatment because of that stigma. Others find the medications difficult to tolerate. And unfortunately, the risk of suicide is sometimes highest right after the person first begins taking anti-depressants.

I have to agree with this.

Exactly. And when a celebrity goes public it's much worse because it goes all over cyberspace rather than being confined to a limited area. We've all read how so-and-so won't be hired because they're uninsurable due to their mental illness. Could be a career killer.

Maybe he was getting treatment and it didn't help. Kate Spade's husband said she had been treated for years.

Same here. It's not 100% effective with everyone. Sometimes it takes years to find what works.

For many people it takes a combination of different anti-depressants and a long trial-and-error period till the right combination is found. Free advice: Find a board-certified psychiatrist who specializes in pharmaceutical treatment of depression.

Back