RIP Anthony Bourdain

I'm glad you got that, at least. Sometimes we parents don't know how we're hurting our kids with our comments that we think are helpful, but are perceived by them as critical and hurtful. You obviously figured out that understanding him and forgiving him really helps your own mental health. The anecdote about the pay stub is absolutely priceless... but sad too. We shouldn't value our kids for what their income is, but I guess some do. I wonder if your dad had a lot of insecurities about his own career choice and wanted you to make the same choice to kind of validate him?
LOL No I think staying away from him instead of being disrespectful and telling him to shut the fuck up and mind his own business did far more for my mental health. To be honest by that stage in my life there was no forgiveness as that’s just the way pops was and I learned not to let him get under my skin even when he was being a real dick so as far as I’m concerned there was nothing to forgive. We are who we are.

I have no doubt when he was being a prick that he meant well but truth be known it was learned behavior on his part. His father did the same thing to him. When my father started working on his Doctorate at 35 my working class grandfather blew a gasket and let my father know what an irresponsible fool he was for chasing a pipe dream. So my old man got it honest.

LOL No I think staying away from him instead of being disrespectful and telling him to shut the fuck up and mind his own business did far more for my mental health. To be honest by that stage in my life there was no forgiveness as that’s just the way pops was and I learned not to let him get under my skin even when he was being a real dick so as far as I’m concerned there was nothing to forgive. We are who we are.

I have no doubt when he was being a prick that he meant well but truth be known it was learned behavior on his part. His father did the same thing to him. When my father started working on his Doctorate at 35 my working class grandfather blew a gasket and let my father know what an irresponsible fool he was for chasing a pipe dream. So my old man got it honest.

That is just sad. What is your father's career field?

He was never on my list of favorites when it came to food/travel shows, and I didn't often agree with him politically, etc....but......
"My house is run, essentially, by an adopted, fully clawed cat with a mean nature"
He was certainly an advocate for moving, as far as he could as much as he could...across the ocean or simply across the river...To walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. That's what he considered a plus for everyone.... good advice...
RIP Anthony Bourdain....

That is just sad. What is your father's career field?
Seen out of context it is but my grandfather was scarred terribly by The Great Depression. He made sacrifices and tolerated things we couldn’t fathom to be able to support his family so when my father quit his union scale job to go to college he couldn’t get his head around that. A union scale job would secure your family. All you had to do was shut up, do the work and put up with the shit. From his point of view my fathers actions were very irresponsible. So when pops graduated from college and walked away from a technical job that paid a solid middle class income to go to grad school Gramps completely lost his shit.

My father was a Chiropractor and a graduate of the prestigious Palmer College. Palme College was the first professional Chiropractic school and the first to obtain the same level of accreditation as a top tier medical school. It’s a tough assed school. I learned more there in one year than in my three years of undergraduate studies.

Last edited:
He was never on my list of favorites when it came to food/travel shows, and I didn't often agree with him politically, etc....but......
"My house is run, essentially, by an adopted, fully clawed cat with a mean nature"
He was certainly an advocate for moving, as far as he could as much as he could...across the ocean or simply across the river...To walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. That's what he considered a plus for everyone.... good advice...
RIP Anthony Bourdain....
Well I honestly don’t know how you can say that about Tony’s politics as he made no secret that he was a liberal New Yorker he hardly ever discussed politics and I think did a great job of keeping politics out of his show.

Now if you had said that about Bob Costas I’d be like right on cuz.

I am apparently so hopelessly out of touch with pop culture and television that I think I am scaring myself. I have never even heard of this guy!
Oh dude. Log onto to Netflix and watch some episodes of No Reservations or Parts Unknown. Bourdain was a Chef from NYC and a recovered heroin addict. In his early forty’s he wrote a book called Kitchen Confidential (a great read btw) that catapulted him to fame. He was then hired by Food TV for a travel log show called A Cooks Tour. He then jumped over to the Travel Channel with his show No Reservations which was a huge success. Then he was hired by CNN to do the same show called Parts Unknown in 2013 and it’s CNN’s most popular show.

If you want to get a good idea on Bourdain YouTube him on veganism or the the show he did in Lebanon that won an Emmy.

Well I honestly don’t know how you can say that about Tony’s politics as he made no secret that he was a liberal New Yorker he hardly ever discussed politics and I think did a great job of keeping politics out of his show.

Now if you had said that about Bob Costas I’d be like right on cuz.
I'm not saying he wasn't gifted and talented when it came to cuisine and different cultures...because he surely was...I just never got into the later shows...perhaps he was just a tad too liberal New Yorker for me...
Regardless, it's a tremendous loss to the culinary community....and as I said before, May he be at peace now...

I think I'M going into a Depression.

Crazy Cat Lady/ThatOwlWoman ... ThatOwlWoman/Crazy Cat Lady. (shaking head) This is the WORST sock puppet I have EVER seen. Do you have NO RESPECT for the craft?
God! Sweet Jesus! Get with Yaya or that Rat Ratterson guy. Get some tips, some pointers. This is ... this is just EMBARRASSING. :(

Hello, Katrina. Everyone's a sock puppet but you. Things never change. >°°<

Back