RIP Tom Clancy

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Great author... passed at 66... I thoroughly enjoyed reading his works. Some of the movies made from the books were pretty good too... Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, etc...

Clancy's 1984 novel "The Hunt for Red October" propelled him to fame, fortune and status as a favorite storyteller of the American military. Sean Connery and Harrison Ford brought the Cold War drama to life in the big screen in 1990.

Of course CNN would F up on this... Alec Baldwin played Jack Ryan in Hunt for Red October, Ford played Ryan in Patriot games and Clear and Present Danger. The dumbass Ben Afleck played Ryan in Sum of all fears.

Hope someone makes the books on John Clark into movies... Without Remorse, Rainbow Six, maybe the Bear and the Dragon....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Great author... passed at 66... I thoroughly enjoyed reading his works. Some of the movies made from the books were pretty good too... Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, etc...

Of course CNN would F up on this... Alec Baldwin played Jack Ryan in Hunt for Red October, Ford played Ryan in Patriot games and Clear and Present Danger. The dumbass Ben Afleck played Ryan in Sum of all fears.

Hope someone makes the books on John Clark into movies... Without Remorse, Rainbow Six, maybe the Bear and the Dragon....

Looks like you are suffering from premature declaration!

Spy thriller writer Tom Clancy, whose best-selling books became blockbuster films, has died, his publisher said Wednesday. He was 66. Clancy's publisher, the Penguin Group, said the author died in Baltimore on Tuesday. The written statement did not indicate the cause of death.
Clancy's 1984 novel "The Hunt for Red October" propelled him to fame, fortune and status as a favorite storyteller of the American military. Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin brought the Cold War drama to life in the big screen in 1990.
"Spending time with Tom prior to shooting was the best part of that whole experience for me," Baldwin said Wednesday. "Tom was smart, a great story teller and a real gentleman."

Last edited:
My favorite authors are the ones like Clancy that do painstaking research and then have the ability to write a really good story. Even if it is an epic 1000 page tome. Usually the most disappointing thing about writers like Clancy is that the story ends.

Honestly I was a big fan of Clancy as a kid, but these days I think his books are pretty boring. The characters are unrealistic and usually 1 dimensional. They also deal with pretty simplistic notions of good guys and bad guys, with the good guys being mustache twirlers and the good guys being dudely do rights. Its just boring to read. The one exception is Without Remorse, which is his best work.

Honestly I was a big fan of Clancy as a kid, but these days I think his books are pretty boring. The characters are unrealistic and usually 1 dimensional. They also deal with pretty simplistic notions of good guys and bad guys, with the good guys being mustache twirlers and the good guys being dudely do rights. Its just boring to read. The one exception is Without Remorse, which is his best work.

It was my favorite as well, I didn't read a lot of his books, but of those I did read, it was the best!

I think that's true of his later work and honestly the same sort of criticisms were also leveled at James Michener but the scope of his knowledge and the breath taking scope of his stories I thought made up for these short comings. Though I would agree that many of his later works were rather formulaic.

I think that's true of his later work and honestly the same sort of criticisms were also leveled at James Michener but the scope of his knowledge and the breath taking scope of his stories I thought made up for these short comings. Though I would agree that many of his later works were rather formulaic.

Yeah his knowledge of history and technical details was great, but I typically don't care about that stuff in stories based somewhat in reality. Now in sci-fi/fantasy writing it's great. One reason I love Tolkien.

My favorite authors are the ones like Clancy that do painstaking research and then have the ability to write a really good story. Even if it is an epic 1000 page tome. Usually the most disappointing thing about writers like Clancy is that the story ends.

Michael Crichton was a master of this.

I actually clicked back into this thread to predict that Watermark would bust in and say something extreme. :D

Yeah his knowledge of history and technical details was great, but I typically don't care about that stuff in stories based somewhat in reality. Now in sci-fi/fantasy writing it's great. One reason I love Tolkien.

Tolkiens stories were just little frames for him to talk about his invented languages. What was so great about him was that you could tell hex spent an entire lifetime thinking about every detail of this world goods characters inhabited. Now, as a writer, he sucked. His writing is as dry and boring as fuck. But as a world builder, no one matches him.

Tolkiens stories were just little frames for him to talk about his invented languages. What was so great about him was that you could tell hex spent an entire lifetime thinking about every detail of this world goods characters inhabited. Now, as a writer, he sucked. His writing is as dry and boring as fuck. But as a world builder, no one matches him.

But that's what I love. I LOVE world building. I'm doing the same thing with my story I'm writing, detailing histories of cities that may make a 1-2 sentance apperance.

Back