RIP Tom Clancy

But that's what I love. I LOVE world building. I'm doing the same thing with my story I'm writing, detailing histories of cities that may make a 1-2 sentance apperance.

Hmm, I used to try and write really pretentious magical realist stories, but recently my mind has turned upon a story of the future (not really science fiction because it doesn't concentrate on advances in science), set in 2060, where the gas is running out, and society in the United States has virtually disintegrated after the 2045 second American revolution. The central theme is of political structures and society returning back to older patterns after the massive energy influx in the form of gas, that has enabled the erecting of so much artifice contradictory to natural patterns, has been lifted. Power returning to the agricultural areas, the people in the cities all starving to death. Power centers return to the location of old empire, like the Aztecs in Mexico, and the fertile areas in the Mississippi delta. The primary new addition is the horse, which allows the creation of powerful steppe confederacies out west.

We need to create a little writers club.

I always dawdle playing empire/conquest games like Civilizations and Age of Empires, because I obsess over every detail of building my cities and am less concerned with actual battle.

I always dawdle playing empire/conquest games like Civilizations and Age of Empires, because I obsess over every detail of building my cities and am less concerned with actual battle.

Me and my brother kind of suck at playing RTS with each In Starcraft, we'll just ignore each other and basically spend all our time playing Simcity, building up the most awesome base possible.

Hmm, I used to try and write really pretentious magical realist stories, but recently my mind has turned upon a story of the future (not really science fiction because it doesn't concentrate on advances in science), set in 2060, where the gas is running out, and society in the United States has virtually disintegrated after the 2045 second American revolution. The central theme is of political structures and society returning back to older patterns after the massive energy influx in the form of gas, that has enabled the erecting of so much artifice contradictory to natural patterns, has been lifted. Power returning to the agricultural areas, the people in the cities all starving to death. Power centers return to the location of old empire, like the Aztecs in Mexico, and the fertile areas in the Mississippi delta. The primary new addition is the horse, which allows the creation of powerful steppe confederacies out west.

Mine is similar, set in 2303 after the nuclear holocaust. I'm trying to replicate the city-state era of humanity and the beginning of new empires (albeit strictly regional ones). Oh, and we've domesticated bears for our draft animals/cavalry.

Mine is similar, set in 2303 after the nuclear holocaust. I'm trying to replicate the city-state era of humanity and the beginning of new empires (albeit strictly regional ones). Oh, and we've domesticated bears for our draft animals/cavalry.

Ah, domesticated bears. That sounds like the most awesome thing ever.

My idea involved the introduction of bicycles into warfare in the absence of gas, at least in the non steps agricultural areas. This is decidedly less awesome.

How about you call it Mad Max: Beyond Belief?

Last edited:
Because it's not about motorcycle gangs, it's more about ancient history. Literally the only connection with Mad Max is a gas shortage.

In my version, all of the decadent assholes on the UK will be dead, too.

Honestly I was a big fan of Clancy as a kid, but these days I think his books are pretty boring. The characters are unrealistic and usually 1 dimensional. They also deal with pretty simplistic notions of good guys and bad guys, with the good guys being mustache twirlers and the good guys being dudely do rights. Its just boring to read. The one exception is Without Remorse, which is his best work.

Loved that book. One of my favorites of his. I grew up reading him, his latter works did seem to tail off in terms of quality. But still an author I enjoyed on the whole.

Would love to see a Without Remorse on film... provided they don't completely F it up like they did with Sum of all fears.

I was just kidding about being glad Tom Clancy's dead, BTW. Literally the furthest I ever got into one of his books was to crack open one of my dad's copies, and then stop reading a page later.

I would like to read your stuff, too.

he was born in Baltimore, as was I, but other then that I never connected with his books. Not my genre' of interest, though his technical skills are superb

Back