Saw a good movie on Netflix: Hillbilly Elegy

27% "Critic" rating

81% Audience rating

Rotten Tomatoes.

Looks promising....the official rating at RT now tends to be a woke conformity rating, the Audience rating is the one to go by.

Last edited:

Amy Adams is always smokin' hot. I'll add it to my list after "Queen's Gambit".

original.jpg

No, I'm stating a position.

All the ladies know I'm good at romance. Ask Stretch and Top. ;)

Then you know what I am talking about here.....learning what women want....and then supplying it.....is about the best use of time that was ever invented!

I gotta squire the hound around the hood.

I could be back later.

TATER

Book was embraced by the left prior to the 2016 election. Now the movie is being denounced, for whatever reasons.

For a brief period of time some folks decided that learning what upwards of 45% of the nation thinks was a worthwhile endeavor.

That's all over....."OBEY!" is the only thing that matters now.

For a brief period of time some folks decided that learning what upwards of 45% of the nation thinks was a worthwhile endeavor.

That's all over....."OBEY!" is the only thing that matters now.

A consequence of the core belief that only power matters, that getting what we want and what we think best is no matter how many people need to abused along the way the way to spend a life.

I give you the Modern Moron.

Book was embraced by the left prior to the 2016 election. Now the movie is being denounced, for whatever reasons.

Professional critics** are often Metrosexuals with moussed hair and believe calluses are for bottom-feeders unless that person is a guitar-playing rock star.

Audience-based ratings, especially when numbering in the thousands, are a better indicator of a good movie or television show. IMDB uses a 10-point rating scale. I rarely watch anything under 6.5*. A 7 and above is definitely worth checking out if it's the sort of entertainment you like. Hillbilly Elegy is a 6.6 so I'll be watching it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6772802/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

*that's for watching free. I wouldn't pay a nickel to see anything less than an 8.

**On the scale of respectability, a Professional Critic is one step below Professional Sex Worker and barely one notch above Professional Politician.

[video=youtube;ML5fOfgTmKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML5fOfgTmKU

I watched the movie this morning and rated it a 7 on IMDB. In many ways this story could have taken place in any poor section of the United States regardless of geography, culture or skin tone. It's a story of a lack of both opportunities and education, resulting ignorance and poverty plus untreated mental illnesses. Drug use, IMO, is a result of these things. It's also a story about family and family helping family.

One reason why the movie is rated less than stellar is due to it's dark nature. It's gritty and frustrating to see human lives needlessly wasted. The brightest part of the entire movie is, literally, the last two minutes before the credits roll.

Another reason is that turning any great book, which often takes 5-8 hours to read, into a two hour movie is going to piss off anyone who read the book. I first experienced this after reading Paul Gallico's excellent adventure novel "The Poseidon Adventure" then seeing the movie a couple years later. Although the movie is rated 7.1 on IMDB, I was disappointed for the simple reason movies can never live up to a book. Yes, including the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Critics whining about the movie have similar complaints, that the movie doesn't live up to the book or harping that extra time should have been spent on one thing over another. An example is Bev (J.D. Vance's mother) obvious mental illness (my guess is bipolarism), her inability to receive adequate treatment and her continual relapses into ever worsening drug addictions as a probable cause from untreated mental illness.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and will recommend it to my wife whom I expect to like it also. Thanks for the thread and reference.

27% "Critic" rating

81% Audience rating

Rotten Tomatoes.

Looks promising....the official rating at RT now tends to be a woke conformity rating, the Audience rating is the one to go by.

RT is Putin’s news station you fucking idiot

https://www.theonion.com/defensive-ron-howard-you-try-making-a-good-movie-abou-1845777290

Defensive Ron Howard: ‘You Try Making A Good Movie About Fucking Hillbillies’

LOS ANGELES—In response to widespread negative reviews of his recently released film, Hillbilly Elegy, defensive director Ron Howard told his critics Monday, “You try making a good movie about fucking hillbillies.” “I’d invite anyone who didn’t like my film to try creating something with actual emotional depth about a bunch of backwards, dumbass hill people—can’t be done,” said Howard, adding that it was impossible to write, direct, edit, or even act in a movie about “some hopeless, completely unlikable Appalachian inbreds who just keep fucking up their own lives over and over again.” “Oh, you thought my movie was trite, huh? Well, what did you people expect? Their real-life struggle is the same ridiculous thing over and over again. All those holler dimwits are so drunk off their asses and strung out on heroin it’s impossible to make a coherent story about them. Ask [actors] Amy [Adams] and Glenn [Close], they’ll tell you how difficult it is to act like people who are already parodies of themselves. ‘But Ron,’ you’ll say, ‘what about J.D. Vance’s book? What about his input?’ Vance hates them just as much as I do.

More at link...

Back