Schwarzenegger signs bill banning texting by motorists

uscitizen

Villified User
Schwarzenegger signs bill banning texting by motorists
By Edwin Garcia
Mercury News Sacramento Bureau
Article Launched: 09/24/2008 06:08:06 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO — Get ready to remove your fingers from that tiny keyboard while driving.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday signed into law a measure banning motorists from text-messaging and e-mailing while operating a vehicle.

The law, written by Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, takes effect Jan. 1.

"Building on legislation already helping save lives in California, I am happy to sign this bill because it further encourages safe and responsible driving," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "Banning electronic text-messaging while driving will keep drivers' hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road, making our roadways a safer place for all Californians."

Drivers caught using their phones to write, read or send messages will be hit with a $20 ticket the first time and $50 on each subsequent offense. The penalty is a base fine, which is uniform across the state, but does not include the fees added by local municipalities.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10550342?source=most_emailed

Welcome to Nannyfornia, thanks to the liberal cocksuckers in Sacramento.

Nannyfornia? Look, if you want to do stupid shit and yourself killed, thats fine with me.

But cell phones have become the #1 distraction for drivers and is only behind alcohol for causing accidents.

Its time for this sort of legislation. People need to put down the phone and pay attention to driving.

These idiots not only kill themselves, they take other people with them.

Yep we need the cell phone companies to use GPS to determine who is texting while driving and send a record to the State Highway patrol.
:D

Welcome to Nannyfornia, thanks to the liberal cocksuckers in Sacramento.

Indeed, this is an outrage.

Its on a par with the NYC ban on trans-fat oils. Let freedom ring! I'm sure there's millions of people who want the choice to consume trans-fat oils!

Indeed, this is an outrage.

Its on a par with the NYC ban on trans-fat oils. Let freedom ring! I'm sure there's millions of people who want the choice to consume trans-fat oils!

To me there is a big difference here. I understand that trans-fat oils are bad for you. But they only harm the one consuming them.

Texting while driving means you aren't paying attention to the road. And that has the potential to harm lots of other people.

To me there is a big difference here. I understand that trans-fat oils are bad for you. But they only harm the one consuming them.

Texting while driving means you aren't paying attention to the road. And that has the potential to harm lots of other people.

Yep but much better stated than I did it.
Drink 10W40 if you want to. but don't run over me with your car.

People always forget that driving is a priviledge and not a right.

EXACTLY!!!

People also forget that it is the number one cause of death for anyone between the ages of 2 and 65. After 65 it still never drops out of the top 5 causes of death.

People treat it like its nothing, but it can be dangerous as hell and go from boring to dying in a millisecond.

These cell phone bans are so silly. In WA I can't legally use my cell phone and drive but I can guzzle pop and chow down burgers, fries and all matter of fast food. And I think I do it more now that the ban is in place (1st of July) just to give Olympia the symbolic finger.

These cell phone bans are so silly. In WA I can't legally use my cell phone and drive but I can guzzle coke and chow down burgers, fries and all matter of fast food. And I think I do it more now that the ban is in place (1st of July) just to give Olympia the symbolic finger.

It's actually more dangerous to use the cell phone, as you won't be paying attention for the whole duration of the conversation and you're going to be talking longer than eating. Talking requires concetration, drinking coke does not. Driving while talking is as bad as driving while drinking.

It may seem like a moronic quote, but the facts and the tests have shown it to be pretty accurate.

When you are eating or drinking a coke, you are still focusing most of your attention on driving.

When you are on the phone (texting is even worse) you have more attention on the cell phone than on driving.

The stats for mistakes and errors of judgement were close to the same for driving after drinking or driving while on the phone.

Back