Seattle, Washington

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
I just got back from a trip there visiting my wife's college roommate.

We flew a direct evening flight from Charlotte and landed in Portland. Getting off the plane I immediately knew why it is called Portlandia. I never saw a such a concentration of odd people in my life. They wore kind of a uniform of odd color hair and hairstyles, with weird clothing, many with tee shirts shouting liberal slogans. They were everywhere in the airport not just some group, and all ages.

I rented a Chrysler 300 with leather seats and a 5.7L Hemi. It was a fast, nice riding car for the road trip to Seattle. But first we spent the night in Portland; a hotel room near the airport that cost $220, or about 50% more than I'd expect to pay in Charlotte.

In the morning we took a short drive up the Columbia river valley to do some sight seeing. Gorgeous river. The three hour drive to Seattle was more like six due to traffic. On a Sunday morning/ early afternoon. Although we left plenty of time, we were late getting to the cookout that our hosts had planned for us. Ate too much and had lots of beer followed up with red wine.

In the morning we toured our surroundings. A beautiful neighborhood called Magnolia. "Old money" overlooking the Puget Sound, 15 minute commute to downtown. Real Estate prices about double from here in the Piedmont NC.

I was asked to inspect the house to look over a page-and-a-half list of issues that were not disclosed during the sale last year. The previous owner had done a major renovation. The house was originally built in 1940, Cape style with a full basement and three bedrooms on the second floor. Ceiling heights were 7'-3" back then. The renovation included raising the second floor to achieve 8' ceilings on the main level, raising the roof over the master bedroom with high cathedral ceilings, and second floor plan addition for the master bath, lowering the floor of half of the basement to achieve 8'-0" ceilings, a new retaining wall parallel with the rear basement wall for walk-out access of the new bedroom, and a 12-foot wide concrete staircase leading up to the new leveled and landscaped back yard. The wide stairs brought in lots of natural light to the family room, which would otherwise been dark. The kitchen was very high end with a huge central island, Viking Professional appliances, and an amazing two-drawer dishwasher. The entire main level was done in variable width walnut, full 3/4" thick, imported from New Hampshire. The cost of the hardwood alone was $22K.

Then I met their inspector that they hired for a possible litigation. I'm figuring cost of repairs of less than $20,000 (they had already spent $6000). The inspector's rule-of-thumb- $50k or forget a suit- was identical to mine. She, the owner, however, doesn't like to get taken. I spent the rest of the week subtly reminding her to think rationally, not emotionally.

An interesting factoid here is that the cost of the City building inspection was $6800. Property taxes are $16K. For comparison here, permits are about $500 and taxes would be about $7K.

We celebrated our 30th by dining with them at the Space Needle. The bill was $380, not including a $50 tip.

A trip to Pike Market to purchase a pound of "hottest curry you can find" for my dog-watcher back home. Then bought a 5# salmon for $48 and watched it filleted. Our host grilled that up along with a ton of veggies.

Took a boat for a 6 hour round trip to a point on outer Puget. The catamaran seated 237 (it was full). Twin Detroit Diesels, V16's, churning Rolls Royce waterjets, propelled us at 25 knots.

Total 'cost' of the trip was 6# for me and four for my wife. We're back on the diet and I've already lost five.

One night we had dinner with two Australians that our host had recently hired. I asked them what they thought of the US election, specifically the fact that we had an unindicted criminal running on the Democrat ticket. They were both like, yeah, really weird about that, but the other guy is always saying something outrageous. It was a good perspective on what and how the international media was feeding them information.

I see Lesion is still posting then removing posts. Since he's on IA I have no idea what he writes. Obviously something that he was so ashamed about that he had to remove. LOL

I was just down in San Diego, myself. Flew down, and then drove back up. When I hit Portlandia, I had the theme song, Feel It All Around, queued-up on my phone, just for fun.

Glad you had a good time. Seattle is awesome!

Legion Trollop will never go away. He lives here. Oh and he doesn't just constantly delete posts, he deletes threads quite frequently now. Often he will create a thread and then it doesn't get attention, so he deletes it and creates it again. And he has deleted about a dozen threads about me and Yurt.

Poor Troll.

Great city- except for the dreaded elevated road along the coast. Apparently there are plans to do a "big dig" and put all that underground. Then there are some citizens against a "123" or something authority to implement the plan.

Last edited:
No I've only met up with one person that I've met online, and that is on a car forum that I've been a member for a long time.

I was just down in San Diego, myself. Flew down, and then drove back up. When I hit Portlandia, I had the theme song, Feel It All Around, queued-up on my phone, just for fun.
I've talked to friends who've been to Portland and he said it was like jumping in the way back machine to 1992.

I'm sure that the great North West is very attractive but there's something about the gloominess of a maritime climate and it's grey sky and rain that turns me off.

I've been all over the U.S. east of Dallas, TX and I haven't been to a place yet that I thought was better than the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Great scenery, mild winters, 9 green months, doesn't get too hot or too cold, lots of economic opportunity and, in my experience, southern hospitality at it's finest.

For those of you who have never been to the Carolina's. Stay away...it's a hell hole! ;)

I've talked to friends who've been to Portland and he said it was like jumping in the way back machine to 1992.

I'm sure that the great North West is very attractive but there's something about the gloominess of a maritime climate and it's grey sky and rain that turns me off.

I've been all over the U.S. east of Dallas, TX and I haven't been to a place yet that I thought was better than the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Great scenery, mild winters, 9 green months, doesn't get too hot or too cold, lots of economic opportunity and, in my experience, southern hospitality at it's finest.

For those of you who have never been to the Carolina's. Stay away...it's a hell hole! ;)

I love the temperate weather of the PNW. My wife obviously wants to sell me on the warm, semiarid climate of SD. Right now, though, the drought is in full-swing, and everything is dying.

I love the temperate weather of the PNW. My wife obviously wants to sell me on the warm, semiarid climate of SD. Right now, though, the drought is in full-swing, and everything is dying.
I guess I'd have to come visit to see for myself but we have enough gloomy days like that here in Ohio.

I just got back from a trip there visiting my wife's college roommate.

We flew a direct evening flight from Charlotte and landed in Portland. Getting off the plane I immediately knew why it is called Portlandia. I never saw a such a concentration of odd people in my life. They wore kind of a uniform of odd color hair and hairstyles, with weird clothing, many with tee shirts shouting liberal slogans. They were everywhere in the airport not just some group, and all ages.

I rented a Chrysler 300 with leather seats and a 5.7L Hemi. It was a fast, nice riding car for the road trip to Seattle. But first we spent the night in Portland; a hotel room near the airport that cost $220, or about 50% more than I'd expect to pay in Charlotte.

In the morning we took a short drive up the Columbia river valley to do some sight seeing. Gorgeous river. The three hour drive to Seattle was more like six due to traffic. On a Sunday morning/ early afternoon. Although we left plenty of time, we were late getting to the cookout that our hosts had planned for us. Ate too much and had lots of beer followed up with red wine.

In the morning we toured our surroundings. A beautiful neighborhood called Magnolia. "Old money" overlooking the Puget Sound, 15 minute commute to downtown. Real Estate prices about double from here in the Piedmont NC.

I was asked to inspect the house to look over a page-and-a-half list of issues that were not disclosed during the sale last year. The previous owner had done a major renovation. The house was originally built in 1940, Cape style with a full basement and three bedrooms on the second floor. Ceiling heights were 7'-3" back then. The renovation included raising the second floor to achieve 8' ceilings on the main level, raising the roof over the master bedroom with high cathedral ceilings, and second floor plan addition for the master bath, lowering the floor of half of the basement to achieve 8'-0" ceilings, a new retaining wall parallel with the rear basement wall for walk-out access of the new bedroom, and a 12-foot wide concrete staircase leading up to the new leveled and landscaped back yard. The wide stairs brought in lots of natural light to the family room, which would otherwise been dark. The kitchen was very high end with a huge central island, Viking Professional appliances, and an amazing two-drawer dishwasher. The entire main level was done in variable width walnut, full 3/4" thick, imported from New Hampshire. The cost of the hardwood alone was $22K.

Then I met their inspector that they hired for a possible litigation. I'm figuring cost of repairs of less than $20,000 (they had already spent $6000). The inspector's rule-of-thumb- $50k or forget a suit- was identical to mine. She, the owner, however, doesn't like to get taken. I spent the rest of the week subtly reminding her to think rationally, not emotionally.

An interesting factoid here is that the cost of the City building inspection was $6800. Property taxes are $16K. For comparison here, permits are about $500 and taxes would be about $7K.

We celebrated our 30th by dining with them at the Space Needle. The bill was $380, not including a $50 tip.

A trip to Pike Market to purchase a pound of "hottest curry you can find" for my dog-watcher back home. Then bought a 5# salmon for $48 and watched it filleted. Our host grilled that up along with a ton of veggies.

Took a boat for a 6 hour round trip to a point on outer Puget. The catamaran seated 237 (it was full). Twin Detroit Diesels, V16's, churning Rolls Royce waterjets, propelled us at 25 knots.

Total 'cost' of the trip was 6# for me and four for my wife. We're back on the diet and I've already lost five.

Sounds like you had a great time.:)

Seattle & Portland are both beautiful cities IMHO but Portland has some serious gentrification going on, spilling over the river into Vancouver as well..

I dunno how much of what you describe is unique to Portland as we have our fair share down her in Calif as well....... I hear cowackO even dies his hair silver & black on weekends during football season.:awesome:

I guess there is a certain look they have in Oregon.. I was talking to a co-worker & he notices this couple near by & says they are from Oregon, I asked how he knew, he said he could just tell.. They had on clods/like hiking boots, dark blue jeans & of course PLAID.. Old basic primary color plaid.. Come to find out he was right-Eugene..lol

Sounds like you had a great time.:)

Seattle & Portland are both beautiful cities IMHO but Portland has some serious gentrification going on, spilling over the river into Vancouver as well..

I dunno how much of what you describe is unique to Portland as we have our fair share down her in Calif as well....... I hear cowackO even dies his hair silver & black on weekends during football season.:awesome:

I guess there is a certain look they have in Oregon.. I was talking to a co-worker & he notices this couple near by & says they are from Oregon, I asked how he knew, he said he could just tell.. They had on clods/like hiking boots, dark blue jeans & of course PLAID.. Old basic primary color plaid.. Come to find out he was right-Eugene..lol

Wow, calling Cawacko a Raiders fan may be a new low! :D

Back