SEC Overrated?

cawacko

Wow, can't believe I found this article on the Huffington Post but I did. All I can say to the author is preach on brother...

Overrated? The SEC Of Course

Well, well well. Everybody's pick to win it all Florida, lost to Alabama. Didn't just lose, got creamed, crushed, stomped and exposed for what they really are: A good to mediocre team at best. The same can be said for the entire SEC, the most overrated and over-hyped conference in the nation.

Now I can feel the blood boiling in Gainesville, Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa already but hear me out. The dirty secret to the SEC's "success" is this formula: Schedule absurdly easy teams in your non-conference games, make sure you play them at home. Never travel. Run up the score and stats on these cupcakes to "prove" your invincibility. Fool the sportswriters who are easily dazzled by 83-3 wins over Southwest Georgia Junior Teachers Academy For The Deaf and will vote you to the top of the polls. Then play the rest of your season with the knowledge that the SEC refs will go out of their way to protect the BCS bound teams and the millions it will bring to the conference.

Don't believe me? Take a gander at Alabama, LSU and Florida's out of conference schedule this year: Alabama played Va Tech (Kudos to Alabama), Florida International at home, North Texas at home and UT Chattanooga at home. LSU (to their credit) at least traveled to Washington where they barely hung on to beat the Pac Ten Huskies, played UL Lafayette at home, Tulane at home, and LA Tech at home. Big bad Florida dared to play Charleston Southern at home, Troy at home, Florida International at home and Florida State at home. The combined totals of all these out of conference games was SEC 517 - Suckers 106. Take away Va Tech and Washington and it's 457 - 62.

Everybody's All American and future NFL Hall Of Famer Tim Tebow threw or ran for 15 of his 31 touchdowns against Cupcake U. That's almost 50% for the year. And you are shocked that he got hammered by Alabama? If USC's Matt Barkley played the same schedule, he'd be in New York this week posing for his Heisman oil portrait. (By the way, the same day Super Tim was gutting it out against Troy State, Barkley beat Ohio State in Columbus.)

Now the Pac Ten on the other hand, goes out of it's way to play difficult non conference games because it has the disadvantage of playing way past the east coast sportswriter's bedtimes. Here are a few of this years games: Oregon at Boise State, Maryland at Cal, Stanford at Wake Forest, UCLA at Tennessee, USC at Ohio State, Utah at Oregon, Cincinnati at Oregon State, Kansas State at UCLA, Arizona at Iowa, Washington at Notre Dame, USC at Notre Dame, Washington State at Notre Dame and Notre Dame at Stanford. Texas and USC are already discussing a home and home series. Florida is probably negotiating with the Hofstra club team.

BCS teams make big money. They're good for the conference, so is was no surprise when Georgia scored the go-ahead touchdown against then BCS bound LSU in the last minute, a good ol' boy SEC ref did his duty and flagged Georgia for unsportsmanlike conduct for celebrating after the touchdown, handing LSU a major gift which they converted into the game winner. This was easily the most blatant example of the "Big Three" rules. Keep those rankings high. Excessive celebrations in the end zone are subjective penalties. You might call it a penalty. I call it cheating.

When Oregon's All American RB LeGarrette Blount sucker punched a Boise State player, Coach Chip Kelly suspended Blount for two-thirds of the season. When Florida LB Brandon Spikes tried to gouge out a Georgia RB's eye, Urban Meyer handed down a half game suspension against Vanderbilt. Class act, Urban. But then again, he was playing SEC rules.

Florida fooled everyone all year, sitting atop all the polls. Anybody with a modicum of football knowledge should have seen the smackdown in Atlanta coming. Florida just wasn't that good, yet they were voted #1 all season. What were the voters seeing that everyone else didn't? Perhaps the fact that the SEC has it's own in-house propaganda machine in CBS might help. To listen to the promos on CBS, games like Kentucky - LSU take on the status of the Red River Shootout. Personally, I think Percy Harvin was the key to the offense at Florida and when he left, the Gators were swamped. But with CBS's constant pimping, the nation assumed that Florida didn't even have to play the games. Just give them the trophy and call them the greatest team ever. Wrong.

Tebow, Mark Ingram of Alabama, Colt McCoy of Texas and Toby Gerhart of Stanford will probably be the Heisman finalists. Once again the eastern voters will get it wrong. It will probably go to Ingram or McCoy. No doubt McCoy had a Heisman worthy year, but the best player in college football this year was Toby Gerhart of Stanford, hands down. However nobody really saw him play, especially the folks in the SEC who avoid Pac-10 teams like the plague. If a back leads the nation in rushing and he's not on CBS, like the proverbial tree falling in the woods, it didn't happen.

So Alabama is going to play Texas in the BCS Title Bowl. I believe that Texas should have been ranked #1 all season. They'll beat Alabama. The best team in the nation over the second half of the season was Oregon. They'll destroy Ohio State and should be ranked second. Florida is going to play Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl. Cincinnati wins easily. Florida doesn't even belong in the BCS series, but old habits die hard and voters really don't care about anything west of the Mississippi.

Too bad really. The toughest conference this year was the Pac Ten. The best player was Toby Gerhart. The best team was Texas, followed closely by Oregon and Boise State. As for the SEC? Only nine more months till CBS trumpets the next Game Of The Century: Florida versus Miami... of Ohio. From "The Swamp," of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stu-kreisman/overrated-the-sec-of-cour_b_382019.html

The only think gay's than the Huffington post is a jilted trojan all broken crying about the SEC.
Yeah the Huffington post, their right up their with ESPN for sports coverage.

Hah cawacko this is like the football equivalent of a Birther/Truther conspiracy theory.

Seriously though what do you really disagree with in the article? I actually think Bama is going to smoke Texas. Texas has played one ranked team all year, Oklahoma St. And Colt McCoy is not Vince Young. He is not going to do to Bama what VY did to SC.

But outside that what the author says is true about the teams OOC schedule and playing lack of top teams. At least Bama played Va Tech. Florida was too scared to do that.

Wow, can't believe I found this article on the Huffington Post but I did. All I can say to the author is preach on brother...

Overrated? The SEC Of Course

Well, well well. Everybody's pick to win it all Florida, lost to Alabama. Didn't just lose, got creamed, crushed, stomped and exposed for what they really are: A good to mediocre team at best. The same can be said for the entire SEC, the most overrated and over-hyped conference in the nation.

Now I can feel the blood boiling in Gainesville, Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa already but hear me out. The dirty secret to the SEC's "success" is this formula: Schedule absurdly easy teams in your non-conference games, make sure you play them at home. Never travel. Run up the score and stats on these cupcakes to "prove" your invincibility. Fool the sportswriters who are easily dazzled by 83-3 wins over Southwest Georgia Junior Teachers Academy For The Deaf and will vote you to the top of the polls. Then play the rest of your season with the knowledge that the SEC refs will go out of their way to protect the BCS bound teams and the millions it will bring to the conference.

Don't believe me? Take a gander at Alabama, LSU and Florida's out of conference schedule this year: Alabama played Va Tech (Kudos to Alabama), Florida International at home, North Texas at home and UT Chattanooga at home. LSU (to their credit) at least traveled to Washington where they barely hung on to beat the Pac Ten Huskies, played UL Lafayette at home, Tulane at home, and LA Tech at home. Big bad Florida dared to play Charleston Southern at home, Troy at home, Florida International at home and Florida State at home. The combined totals of all these out of conference games was SEC 517 - Suckers 106. Take away Va Tech and Washington and it's 457 - 62.

Everybody's All American and future NFL Hall Of Famer Tim Tebow threw or ran for 15 of his 31 touchdowns against Cupcake U. That's almost 50% for the year. And you are shocked that he got hammered by Alabama? If USC's Matt Barkley played the same schedule, he'd be in New York this week posing for his Heisman oil portrait. (By the way, the same day Super Tim was gutting it out against Troy State, Barkley beat Ohio State in Columbus.)

Now the Pac Ten on the other hand, goes out of it's way to play difficult non conference games because it has the disadvantage of playing way past the east coast sportswriter's bedtimes. Here are a few of this years games: Oregon at Boise State, Maryland at Cal, Stanford at Wake Forest, UCLA at Tennessee, USC at Ohio State, Utah at Oregon, Cincinnati at Oregon State, Kansas State at UCLA, Arizona at Iowa, Washington at Notre Dame, USC at Notre Dame, Washington State at Notre Dame and Notre Dame at Stanford. Texas and USC are already discussing a home and home series. Florida is probably negotiating with the Hofstra club team.

BCS teams make big money. They're good for the conference, so is was no surprise when Georgia scored the go-ahead touchdown against then BCS bound LSU in the last minute, a good ol' boy SEC ref did his duty and flagged Georgia for unsportsmanlike conduct for celebrating after the touchdown, handing LSU a major gift which they converted into the game winner. This was easily the most blatant example of the "Big Three" rules. Keep those rankings high. Excessive celebrations in the end zone are subjective penalties. You might call it a penalty. I call it cheating.

When Oregon's All American RB LeGarrette Blount sucker punched a Boise State player, Coach Chip Kelly suspended Blount for two-thirds of the season. When Florida LB Brandon Spikes tried to gouge out a Georgia RB's eye, Urban Meyer handed down a half game suspension against Vanderbilt. Class act, Urban. But then again, he was playing SEC rules.

Florida fooled everyone all year, sitting atop all the polls. Anybody with a modicum of football knowledge should have seen the smackdown in Atlanta coming. Florida just wasn't that good, yet they were voted #1 all season. What were the voters seeing that everyone else didn't? Perhaps the fact that the SEC has it's own in-house propaganda machine in CBS might help. To listen to the promos on CBS, games like Kentucky - LSU take on the status of the Red River Shootout. Personally, I think Percy Harvin was the key to the offense at Florida and when he left, the Gators were swamped. But with CBS's constant pimping, the nation assumed that Florida didn't even have to play the games. Just give them the trophy and call them the greatest team ever. Wrong.

Tebow, Mark Ingram of Alabama, Colt McCoy of Texas and Toby Gerhart of Stanford will probably be the Heisman finalists. Once again the eastern voters will get it wrong. It will probably go to Ingram or McCoy. No doubt McCoy had a Heisman worthy year, but the best player in college football this year was Toby Gerhart of Stanford, hands down. However nobody really saw him play, especially the folks in the SEC who avoid Pac-10 teams like the plague. If a back leads the nation in rushing and he's not on CBS, like the proverbial tree falling in the woods, it didn't happen.

So Alabama is going to play Texas in the BCS Title Bowl. I believe that Texas should have been ranked #1 all season. They'll beat Alabama. The best team in the nation over the second half of the season was Oregon. They'll destroy Ohio State and should be ranked second. Florida is going to play Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl. Cincinnati wins easily. Florida doesn't even belong in the BCS series, but old habits die hard and voters really don't care about anything west of the Mississippi.

Too bad really. The toughest conference this year was the Pac Ten. The best player was Toby Gerhart. The best team was Texas, followed closely by Oregon and Boise State. As for the SEC? Only nine more months till CBS trumpets the next Game Of The Century: Florida versus Miami... of Ohio. From "The Swamp," of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stu-kreisman/overrated-the-sec-of-cour_b_382019.html
LOL Just love it. True about Gerhart and the PAC 10 this year. I'm even begining to think that the SEC was the #3 conference this year. We'll find out after the bowl games but even that's scheduled to the SEC's advantage. Three of the SEC bowl match ups the SEC teams have distinct advantages, either by playing a lower rated team with a lesser record or by having a home field advantage or both. In addtion. If the SEC had played a real non-conf schedule probalby only four teams from the SEC would have been Bowl Eligible. Conversely if the Big 10 had played the cupcake non conference schedule the SEC did we'd have 8 or 9 teams Bowl Eligible.

Haha. You see read the USC board. They make Desh look like a non-partisan centrist.
Besides, what's the big deal? So the south east has good amature teams. Big whoops. When the big boys play there's only one consistently good southern team east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line. That's Miami.

Seriously though what do you really disagree with in the article? I actually think Bama is going to smoke Texas. Texas has played one ranked team all year, Oklahoma St. And Colt McCoy is not Vince Young. He is not going to do to Bama what VY did to SC.

But outside that what the author says is true about the teams OOC schedule and playing lack of top teams. At least Bama played Va Tech. Florida was too scared to do that.

It's a natural outcome of the way the BCS is arranged. If you're serious about making it to the big dance, a team has to schedule that way. Your argument should be with the BCS people, not the teams who schedule in response to their decisions. Put in a playoff system and mandate a certain number of conference games to qualify if you want top-flight programs to stop scheduling gimme teams.

the biggest joke is cawacko talking any shit at all. Prior to this year it's been what 8 since somebody else won the pac10. That's why it's called a high school conference, none of those teams had even been in contention. It takes a true freshman at QB and the loss of a couple coordinators to get SC out. ANd they will be back in a flash. SC's conf schedule=florida's non conf

the biggest joke is cawacko talking any shit at all. Prior to this year it's been what 8 since somebody else won the pac10. That's why it's called a high school conference, none of those teams had even been in contention. It takes a true freshman at QB and the loss of a couple coordinators to get SC out. ANd they will be back in a flash. SC's conf schedule=florida's non conf
Yes, but at least their not afraid to play on the road and play non-conf teams a little more challenging then Sister Mary's School of Quadrapalegics. Actually, I think it's damned premature to write off Texas. Bama has a great offensive line but Auborn showed what a one dimensional offense they can be. Don't give Bama too much props for showing what everyone all ready knew. That Florida was over rated. This is going to be a hell of a game and if Bama buys into this BS that they are a much better team, Texas will hand them their asses.

Yes, but at least their not afraid to play on the road and play non-conf teams a little more challenging then Sister Mary's School of Quadrapalegics. Actually, I think it's damned premature to write off Texas. Bama has a great offensive line but Auborn showed what a one dimensional offense they can be. Don't give Bama too much props for showing what everyone all ready knew. That Florida was over rated. This is going to be a hell of a game and if Bama buys into this BS that they are a much better team, Texas will hand them their asses.

*sigh* No one is "afraid to play on the road" because all teams have to play on the road. Teams are not "afraid to play" anyone, the teams don't decide the schedules, and fear has very little to do with why opponents are scheduled or not scheduled. Now, this sounds 'bad ass', and it probably makes you feel better about OSU, but reality is a different matter. Mott, we get that you like Ohio football and don't like southern football, that has been made clear, there is no need in making a fool out of yourself with these ridiculous non-points.

Bama vs. Texas will be a classic. I actually think the way both teams won their respective championships, plays into Texas' favor. They should be resoundingly embarrassed at how they won that game, and they will be out to redeem themselves against Alabama. The Tide, on the other hand, made a statement and played their best game of the year. Teams tend to have an emotional let-down after a big win like Bama had, and I hope they can overcome that before Jan. 7th, and not take Texas for granted... they are a good team, or they wouldn't be playing in this game.

*sigh* No one is "afraid to play on the road" because all teams have to play on the road. Teams are not "afraid to play" anyone, the teams don't decide the schedules, and fear has very little to do with why opponents are scheduled or not scheduled. Now, this sounds 'bad ass', and it probably makes you feel better about OSU, but reality is a different matter. Mott, we get that you like Ohio football and don't like southern football, that has been made clear, there is no need in making a fool out of yourself with these ridiculous non-points.

Bama vs. Texas will be a classic. I actually think the way both teams won their respective championships, plays into Texas' favor. They should be resoundingly embarrassed at how they won that game, and they will be out to redeem themselves against Alabama. The Tide, on the other hand, made a statement and played their best game of the year. Teams tend to have an emotional let-down after a big win like Bama had, and I hope they can overcome that before Jan. 7th, and not take Texas for granted... they are a good team, or they wouldn't be playing in this game.

Dixie, the teams do decide their schedules. The athletic director of the school is the one who puts it together. Florida had four OOC games this year and besides playing no one played all four games at home. WTF is that? When was the last time Florida traveled outside the Southeast for a regular season road game?

Bama played Clemson last year and VaTech this year. Both of those were the opening games.

The fact that neither of those teams lived up to their rankings is not Bama's fault.

Mott, you claimed that Auburn showed Florida how they could beat us, and that they would do so. But a funny thing happened, they couldn't manage it.

Nebraska's defense gave Texas fits. Our defense has been better all year, and will do more harm than the Huskers did.

this whole debate is like High School wrestling in the NE vs South. A decade ago my son's team was ranked 19th nationally and set the record for most ever tournament points. We'd have to travel 500 miles to find good teams. Teams from Ohio, Okla, Mn, Ia could go 50 miles and face a national caliber team.
The pac 10 has to play tough out of conf because of thier high school level in conference. Take a look at total strenght of schedule year in and year out. The SEC is brutal we don't have to go cross country to find ranked teams. USC does, this year would be every year for SC if they were in the SEC

One of the common complaints along this line is that we do not go play at the other teams home field.

I will admit that we schedule some cupcakes. Given who else we play, I have no problem with that.

But we also take 50k+ fans with us when we go. Most of those teams don't have facilities to have 50k people watch their game. Given the penchant for Bama fans getting tickets, wouldn't it suck to have a game at your home field and have none of your fans in the stands? lol

this whole debate is like High School wrestling in the NE vs South. A decade ago my son's team was ranked 19th nationally and set the record for most ever tournament points. We'd have to travel 500 miles to find good teams. Teams from Ohio, Okla, Mn, Ia could go 50 miles and face a national caliber team.
The pac 10 has to play tough out of conf because of thier high school level in conference. Take a look at total strenght of schedule year in and year out. The SEC is brutal we don't have to go cross country to find ranked teams. USC does, this year would be every year for SC if they were in the SEC
Dude, like conference play in the Big 10 or Pac 10 aint brutal. The SEC has a well earned reputation for not playing outside of it's back yard. Ultimately the SEC will suffer from inbreeding and the conference will seriously decline if they don't get the balls to go play on the road. I have to give kudo to Tennessee. They have the Buckeyes on their schedule in the future.

Dude, like conference play in the Big 10 or Pac 10 aint brutal. The SEC has a well earned reputation for not playing outside of it's back yard. Ultimately the SEC will suffer from inbreeding and the conference will seriously decline if they don't get the balls to go play on the road. I have to give kudo to Tennessee. They have the Buckeyes on their schedule in the future.

Your prejudices are showing, Mott.

Bama played ranked teams to start the season for two years in a row.

And have you at least glanced at Bama's schedule for next year and the year after?

Back