Second Life

Cancel7

Banned
I just read this freaky article about this, it's called "Second Life". I think it seems kind of creepy. Has anyone here ever done this?

Alternate Universe
Second Life is emerging as a powerful new medium for social interactions of all sorts, from romance to making money. It may be the Internet's next big thing.

July 30, 2007 issue - It's 1 a.m., and the "Dublin" nightclub is packed. Women in trendy ball gowns and men in miniskirts dance to Bon Jovi. Simon Stevens spins his wheelchair across the room, then leaps up and starts dancing, a move he can execute only here in Second Life, a 3-D virtual world that Stevens roams on his PC screen, using an avatar—a graphic rendering of himself, liberated from his cerebral palsy. "I flourish in Second Life," says the 33-year-old, who heads a disability-consulting firm called Enable Enterprises, out of his home in England. "It's no game—it's a serious tool."

Rhonda Lillie and Paul Hawkins live thousands of miles apart—she in California, he in Wales—and until this week, had never met face to face. But they've been dating for more than two years—in Second Life. The detachment of meeting through their avatars allowed them to open up to one another in a way they might never have done in the real world. "We felt like we could go in and really be ourselves," Lillie says.

Anshe Chung is a virtual land baroness with a real-life fortune. The woman behind the Anshe avatar is Ailin Graef, a former language teacher living near Frankfurt, Germany. Three years ago she started buying and developing virtual land in Second Life to see whether its virtual economy could sustain a real life. Turns out it can: Chung became Second Life's first millionaire in 2006. Her business, Anshe Chung Studios, with a staff of 60, buys virtual property and builds homes or other structures that it rents or sells to other denizens of Second Life.

When San Francisco software developer Philip Rosedale dreamed up the idea for Second Life in 1998, he never imagined that it might have such an impact on the world at large. Just as Google sexed up the way we search, and instant messaging altered the way we interact, Second Life is fast becoming the next red-hot tool on the Internet.

The numbers tell the story. Rosedale launched Second Life in 2001, but it got off to a slow start, reaching only 1.5 million registered users in 2006. In the past year, membership has soared to more than 8 million users—2 million having signed on in the last two months alone. This hypergrowth, driven mainly by word of mouth, is now attracting competitors. South Korea's Cyworld started out as a social-networking site, but has evolved into a two-dimensional equivalent of Second Life, claiming 20 million registered users from Asia to Latin America. Richard Branson's Virgin recently announced plans to create its own 3-D community called A World of My Own. By 2011, four of every five people who use the Internet will actively participate in Second Life or some similar medium, according to Gartner Research, which recently did a study looking at the investment potential of virtual worlds. If Gartner is to be believed (and it is one of the most respected research firms in the field) this means 1.6 billion—out of a total 2 billion Internet users—will have found new lives online.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19876812/site/newsweek/

It sounds great; going to nightclubs, talking to girls and wearing mini-skirts in a make believe world full of, like, really cool people. Apart from the mini-skirt thing you could never do that in the real world.

Dating an avatar sounds awesome.

It sounds great; going to nightclubs, talking to girls and wearing mini-skirts in a make believe world full of, like, really cool people. Apart from the mini-skirt thing you could never do that in the real world.

Dating an avatar sounds awesome.

lol. Dating an avatar...that seems like what they do. We could pick avatars here we'd like to date. I'd have to get one first though.

Oh, and I have first dibs on Damo's avatar. I've always loved his avatar, and I called it months ago.

Tiana, don't even think about it.

Oh, and I have first dibs on Damo's avatar. I've always loved his avatar, and I called it months ago.

Tiana, don't even think about it.

You girls always say size doesn't matter but it's always the chap carrying the biggest 'stick' who gets most attention.

I would figure this online fantasy life to be very common , esp among our youth which seems to place little value on truthfullness. Or bush supporters too I would think :)
I wonder what Rove and Shooters online lives are ? And we thought they used the RNC server fo security purposes :D

I would figure this online fantasy life to be very common , esp among our youth which seems to place little value on truthfullness. Or bush supporters too I would think :)
I wonder what Rove and Shooters online lives are ? And we thought they used the RNC server fo security purposes :D

Rove is probably on there living out his dream of assassinating all known democrats.

I don't know, I love message boards, but that strikes me as actually confusing fantasy with reality. Like one step too far. But, to each his own.

Ahh we have had people on here claiming multiple degrees that could not find their butt with both hands....

Ahh we have had people on here claiming multiple degrees that could not find their butt with both hands....

LOL

Yeah, I've known women claiming to be 5'10 green-eyed ringers for playboy models, who haven't left their computer for one Friday or Saturday evening in 6 years.

It's a sad state of affairs when people converse online for two years and think they are dating. Sounds like 8mm people afraid of real life.
And I feel sorry for USC so vile that hes spins it too bush supporters.
Pittyful

It's a sad state of affairs when people converse online for two years and think they are dating. Sounds like 8mm people afraid of real life.
And I feel sorry for USC so vile that hes spins it too bush supporters.
Pittyful

Well, they're not liberals. Everybody knows that liberals are depraved and are busy having real sex.

:D
Yep without paying someone for it.

Yes but, some of us don't mind little gifts left on the nightable.

lol. No, I am totally kidding. I don't know what's wrong with me today. Today is like the most boring day at work ever, and that's what happens to me when I get bored. It's really bad. I'm thinking of sneaking out. Maybe I should go down the hall and makeout with that guy who got me out of the elevator last week.

Ahh gifts and such even marriage is sort of paying for it. But you know what I mean.

Vittering.

New term alert!

It's enourmuslly sad to me, I'd say someone that lonely is likely not very political.

Yeah.

I also think it's a little creepy. I wouldn't go there. Who knows who you are talking to. Political message boards, whatever nuts they attract, are not really natural breeding grounds for predators.

Truly freaky. I read a book, just a bit ago, about a world where people only "do" things in virtual reality....

Back