Second Life

Truly freaky. I read a book, just a bit ago, about a world where people only "do" things in virtual reality....

If you read this whole article, you get the really creepy feeling that it could come to that. There are millions of users, according to this. And they spend a lot of time, and even money there. You can "buy clothes" to dress your avatar in. You can buy property. The only thing real about it, is the money you're forking over. Weird.

If you read this whole article, you get the really creepy feeling that it could come to that. There are millions of users, according to this. And they spend a lot of time, and even money there. You can "buy clothes" to dress your avatar in. You can buy property. The only thing real about it, is the money you're forking over. Weird.
Lunatics. Truly. I can see a wheelchair bound dude doing this as the cerebral palsy guy... but people with the ability to go to the actual club? What would be the point?

I've heard about it but never seen it. I hear there are people making alot of real money in different ways using that site or whatever. I also heard there are prostitutes that you can get for in game money that cyber you then they can sell the game money on ebay for real money. lol losers.

Maybe I'll sign up to be an assasin turned fantasy drug lord
that would be awesome.

I have tried it before. I personally didn't care for it because I thought it was a little low-tech and unimmersive. And frankly, you need to understand some gimmicks and gadgets a lot better than I did to ever acquire cool stuff...not to mention you need to front real cash.

It can be a useful community for getting to know people in certain interest groups like film, music, start-up web business, etc, (and some other wildly eclectic interests at that).

And it is very global. You can definitely use Second Life to practice your Japanese, Portugese, German, Chinese, French, whatever. The people are mostly very nice. But to me it was just an overglorified chat room, or at least, that's how I ended up using it and I knew that wasn't the purpose.

And also, Second Life is not a game, and for that reason, it doesn't really have that much use to me. I already have a website and things I use the web for functionally, so I have no reason to become a regular user on SL.

If you have the hard-drive space and a couple hours, you should certainly check it out, since it's free to try. It's part of web history and then you'll be able to tell your grand-chillens "Yep, I remember when they came out with that..."

Because I do suspect things like it are here to stay. Every web company is trying to basically become the new, quasi-exclusive provider of World Wide Web content. Even Facebook now is trying to use applications in order to make itself One-Stop-Shopping.

In the near future, places like JPP.com and FP.com for the masses will be replaced by other social networking sites with political sections and probably even webcam YouTube streams for those willing to put themselves out there.

It's already happening.

I know I said World of Warcraft bored me guys.

But I got together a team of five, my warlock, two priests, a warrior, and a mage, and we took on ragefire chasm yesterday, until three in the morning. It kind of grew on me. I blame Mississippi. You'd resort to WoW to if you lived down here. I know WoW is really a game, unlike Second Life, which is a chat room. But there is a strong social element in it. I don't know why Darla would think Second Life is any more creepy than JPP.

I'm not dating anyone on it, at least, but I actually know a guy who lost his virginity to a girl he met over WoW. Hey, it's movin' on up.

Yeah, I played WoW for maybe three or four months.

I played as a 'Lock and enjoyed it, but just like with Evercrack, my patience with MMORPGs is limited. I'm one of those people who has a "Now What?" reaction to the gameplay style. I really don't like to rinse and repeat.

I'm of the Animal Crossing School. I want new things every day.

I know I said World of Warcraft bored me guys.

But I got together a team of five, my warlock, two priests, a warrior, and a mage, and we took on ragefire chasm yesterday, until three in the morning. It kind of grew on me. I blame Mississippi. You'd resort to WoW to if you lived down here. I know WoW is really a game, unlike Second Life, which is a chat room. But there is a strong social element in it. I don't know why Darla would think Second Life is any more creepy than JPP.

I'm not dating anyone on it, at least, but I actually know a guy who lost his virginity to a girl he met over WoW. Hey, it's movin' on up.

WoW has like 9 million subscribers. at 15 dollars per month each.

That is sick money.

Yeah, I played WoW for maybe three or four months.

I played as a 'Lock and enjoyed it, but just like with Evercrack, my patience with MMORPGs is limited. I'm one of those people who has a "Now What?" reaction to the gameplay style. I really don't like to rinse and repeat.

I'm of the Animal Crossing School. I want new things every day.

Me too. I beat Morrowind, and even though there were literally hundreds of other "mini-quests" to do, I just realized that I'd be spending hours and hours running accross virtual lands, pressing X on the XBox controller to kill those annoying cliff racers, and bringing objects back to that mage in Balmoria over and over again. I didn't really see the point. WoW is honestly the most varied game I've ever seen (they have 5000 people at work making sure no one in the game gets bored), but it's all the same in the end, as they refuse to do anything that really breaks out of the RPG genre traditions.

I used to play WoW alot. I used to raid but it takes too much time. Now I just PVP like 1 or 2 hours every few days. It is still fun. Some people are addicted like crack though.

I played Morrowind for a really, really, long time on XBox...and I never played the main quest.

I liked how slick Oblivion looked, but once I finished the main quest, I didn't want to play it anymore.

Go figure.

Back