Seed Oils: OK to eat or not?

Hawkeye10

ButterMilk Man
Contributor
I am currently listening to Neil Oliver rant on claiming that they are fine as lubricants but should not be eaten...ever...A claim that shows up on by grapevine with great frequency now.

Have you reached any conclusions?

I use grapeseed oil all the time. There is debatable evidence that certain seed oils can cause inflammation due to the extraction process. Not much is confirmed though. I have certain inflammation issues and they don't seem to be affected.

I use grapeseed oil all the time. There is debatable evidence that certain seed oils can cause inflammation due to the extraction process. Not much is confirmed though. I have certain inflammation issues and they don't seem to be affected.

Edible seed oils did not even exist till about 100 years ago, and global use has exploded over the last 50 years even as life expectancy has grown by a lot....Heather talks a lot about how we should try to eat foods that have been around for a long time for safety reasons, yet I dont see anything evidence based that indicates that seed oils are bad for us.

All around the world people eat large amounts of food fried in seed oils, it would be tragic if it was bad for us.

Edible seed oils did not even exist till about 100 years ago, and global use has exploded over the last 50 years even as life expectancy has grown by a lot....Heather talks a lot about how we should try to eat foods that have been around for a long time for safety reasons, yet I dont see anything evidence based that indicates that seed oils are bad for us.

Asians and lovers of Asian cuisine would be lost without sesame oil. I say if it's natural and edible is a good indicator if it should be eaten or not.

Asians and lovers of Asian cuisine would be lost without sesame oil. I say if it's natural and edible is a good indicator if it should be eaten or not.

The claim is that seed oils are processed, processed food is bad for us, thus seed oils are bad for us.

I am not buying it...I think that the problem with processed foods is that they contain too many machine lubricants, not that we need to only eat food raw from nature as so many claim.

I use olive oil, butter or lard. I use seed oils very sparingly. I love the infused olive oils. I believe in eating all things in moderation.

The claim is that seed oils are processed, processed food is bad for us, thus seed oils are bad for us.

I am not buying it...I think that the problem with processed foods is that they contain too many machine lubricants, not that we need to only eat food raw from nature as so many claim.

Normally processed foods have a lot of sodium and preservatives. I gave up most processed foods but still will use the oils. If you want a healthy oil that's delicious try pecan oil. Just don't use it to fry or other high-heat preparations as it may burn easily.

I use olive oil, butter or lard. I use seed oils very sparingly. I love the infused olive oils. I believe in eating all things in moderation.

The wisdom passed down to us, which seems to be more right that what we have been told we should eat over the last 50 years by the "experts".

Normally processed foods have a lot of sodium and preservatives. I gave up most processed foods but still will use the oils. If you want a healthy oil that's delicious try pecan oil. Just don't use it to fry or other high-heat preparations as it may burn easily.

The war against salt is dangerous nonsense...preservatives could be a problem.

All around the world people eat large amounts of food fried in seed oils, it would be tragic if it was bad for us.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. Like fried foods for example. Some people will rely on fried foods to a point that they become a danger to us no matter what oils you use for frying.

Nobody likes Fried Chicken, Fried Catfish, Fried Pork Chops, Fried Okra, Fried Squash, Fajitas, Chicken-Fried Steak/Chicken, and French Fries any more than I do.

But, I cut back on them after my Ex wife had her Gall Bladder removed.

I have learned to broil things and use my Dry Fryer now for a lot of things.

I also use Avocado and Olive Oil if I have to use an oil to cook! Even the Dry Fryer requires a little light spray of some kind of oil!

So I just think moderation is the best idea for us old farts who still love Southern Fried Foods!

Last edited:
Too much of a good thing can be bad. Like fried foods for example. Some people will rely on fried foods to a point that they become a danger to us no matter what oils you use for frying.

Nobody likes Fried Chicken, Fried Catfish, Fried Pork Chops, Fried Okra, Fried Squash, Fajitas, Chicken-Fried Steak/Chicken, and French Fries any more than I do.

But, I cut back on them after my Ex wife had her Gall Bladder removed.

I have learned to broil things and use my Dry Fryer now for a lot of things.

I also use Avocado and Olive Oil if I have to use an oil to cook! Even the Dry Fryer requires a little light spray of some kind of oil!

So I just think moderation is the best idea for us old farts who still love Southern Fried Foods!
Hawkeye's on to something, Chinese eat as much fried foods and salt as Americans do yet they're thin and healthy while we're fat and have a lot of medical conditions. It may be GMOs or the fact that Americans don't walk enough but who knows?

Back