Sh*t Southern Women Say

I lived in Dallas for three years as a kid before moving to Oakland. My mom told me I came home crying from the first day in fourth grade because I got made fun of for how I spoke (the accent). She said I lost it REAL quick.

Even today though if I've been drinking and meet someone new they'll ask me where I'm from and say they can hear an accent. Strange.

The southern accent is insidiously contagious. And is very hard to get rid of once you pick it up.

As a southerner, allow me to explain. "Fixin" is a perfectly logical time period. It is longer than a minute, but not as long as "in a while". It allows the southern male to announce he is ready, without pressuring the southern belle too much.

The texan's accent is a little different, and the Lousianna accent can be hugely different. I am guessing you were referring to the southern accent in Louisanna and not a cajun or creole accent.

I am a huge fan of southern women. I have just started seeing one that has a strong accent, but it is the cultured southern accent, as opposed to the harsher redneck accent. Southern women are a delight. My first wife was a yankee (from Vermont). I am not saying there is anything wrong with non-southern women. But these ladies down here are deceptive. They appear so soft and polite, as any belle should be. But never mistake that for weakness or think that she is actually soft on the inside. She'll rip you a new one, and do it in such a way that you will thank her for the experience. lol

The old south is a matriarchal society. Those outside the south often miss that, because there was almost always a man standing in front. But trust me when I say, the women ran the show.

You are seriously going to tell me that the verb "fixing" lacks this additional meaning in other regions that use the English language? Barbarians. How do they even talk?

I am not even joking, they nailed this down 100%. I have heard it all. even the stuff about scalabrine. lolll

I would be happy to bump intellects with you anytime. Your regional bias is amusing, but inaccurate.

Not a chance...I harbor no illusions about how such a competition would turn out. You'd almost certainly hand me my ass.

There are many very intelligent people living South of the Mason/Dixon line...I was merely having some fun with Liberty.

Not a chance...I harbor no illusions about how such a competition would turn out. You'd almost certainly hand me my ass.

There are many very intelligent people living South of the Mason/Dixon line...I was merely having some fun with Liberty.

I didn't mean to jump out there. I just see so much of the anti-southern bias, and it wears thin.

I am not even joking, they nailed this down 100%. I have heard it all. even the stuff about scalabrine. lolll

I lived in Boston for nine months and I agree, that is 100% accurate and it still damages my eardrums hearing that accent.

I lived in Boston for nine months and I agree, that is 100% accurate and it still damages my eardrums hearing that accent.

I have no problem understanding a Scouse (Liverpool), Belfast, Dublin or even a Geordie (Newcastle) accent but that is just impenetrable. The funny thing is that one of your exports Loyd Grossman has a Boston accent, or so he says, and it is nothing like that.

I didn't mean to jump out there. I just see so much of the anti-southern bias, and it wears thin.

I am the King of anti-southern bias, as only a traitor can be. It's sort of like in the cultural revolution, where those from "bad" backgrounds (their ancestors had been landowners and such) were often more violent than those from very "red" (peasant, worker) backgrounds because they had to prove themselves.

I am the King of anti-southern bias, as only a traitor can be. It's sort of like in the cultural revolution, where those from "bad" backgrounds (their ancestors had been landowners and such) were often more violent than those from very "red" (peasant, worker) backgrounds because they had to prove themselves.

But your anti-southern bias is based on a life in the south. There are plenty of things I dislike about the south. But the wholesale "The south sucks" is bullshit.

Besides, I would have to take your ravings seriously. That hasn't happened since my first week on this board.

I jut woke up and decided to thank every post in this thread for no reason. Mainly because it was the first OT thread with a lot of replies.

Last edited:
Back