Should credit scores be free?

you already have free access and nobody has access that you did not authorize.

I never authorized my insurance company to begin tracking my credit score.

How can I have authorized a property management company I haven't ever worked with in the past to check my credit score?

I never authorized my insurance company to begin tracking my credit score.

How can I have authorized a property management company I haven't ever worked with in the past to check my credit score?

My understanding is if you are attempting to rent a unit the property management company/owner will ask your permission to do a credit check. You can say no of course but chances are they won't rent to you under those circumstances.

Since credit scores are used by Big Business to "judge" us every single day, then YES, we should have FREE access to our credit scores.

If my insurance company can raise or lower my auto insurance premiums based on my credit score, then I should have access.

If a property management company can use your credit score to determine if you're a viable candidate to rent to, then YES, I should have access to my credit score.

Auto insurance companies base their rates on our credit scores? Not saying it's wrong but I've never heard that.

My understanding is if you are attempting to rent a unit the property management company/owner will ask your permission to do a credit check. You can say no of course but chances are they won't rent to you under those circumstances.

Quite true. It pays to read the fine print. People agree to loads of things they may not be paying any attention to.
Not too sure Im buyimg the auto ins bit. You buy in advance and they have no liability if you miss the premium.

Blargity thinks that many today do not recieve a good education. And then we stuff them into liberal arts college with no direction or motivation. Blargity thinks high school graduation needs to require balancing a checkbook and perhaps a more serious mindset. Blargity will have to live with the filth created today by those wishing to cushion the unprepared.

Quite true. It pays to read the fine print. People agree to loads of things they may not be paying any attention to.
It doesn't matter if you read it or not. The print can be hand delivered to you via singing telegram and it won't change a thing. You have to agree to a credit check or you won't be allowed to rent a property.

Auto insurance companies base their rates on our credit scores? Not saying it's wrong but I've never heard that.

Our rates aren't BASED on our credit score, but it does influence whether or not your rates go up, down or stay where they are when your policy renews.

Our rates aren't BASED on our credit score, but it does influence whether or not your rates go up, down or stay where they are when your policy renews.

Interesting, never knew that. Any idea why? I mean I guess in theory if you have a better credit score you could be deemed more 'responsible' but does that necessarily translate into being a better driver?

Interesting, never knew that. Any idea why? I mean I guess in theory if you have a better credit score you could be deemed more 'responsible' but does that necessarily translate into being a better driver?

That's why I dumped Allstate years ago...because I found out my rates were increasing based solely on my credit score.

They gave me some vague nonsense like what you claimed as to why my rates were going up even though I was accident free for years.

They are... once per year.

Credit scores are not free once a year, credit reports are free once a year!

If you are a Discover Card holder, they putting your FICO score from Trans Union on your monthly statement now!
It's the FICO score lenders use to see what interest rate you will be getting.

images

Back