APP - Should Democrats Move Left or Center?

Which way?

• Total voters
lol, I suppose you think the district is going liberal?.....not when the two candidates who split the right side of the constituency had more combined votes than the last conservative who was elected there......

Given the distribution of votes, it's pretty obvious that Bill Owen would have won in a straight two-way race with Hoffman. In a two-way race with the other candidate he probably would have lost, though. Newt Gingrich hedged his bets in the right place.

The fact that such a conservative candidate can get 45% of the vote in a district Obama won should worry Democrats, though.

Last edited:
Wow so you think that five years ago the Democrats moved not left, but to the center?

Perhaps you're having some trouble understanding this. They may have elected a liberal leader in Pelosi, but that victory was made possible only by running conservative and centrist candidates. I understand that this may be a difficult concept to grasp, but parties are not uniform collective entities.

Perhaps you're having some trouble understanding this. They may have elected a liberal leader in Pelosi, but that victory was made possible only by running conservative and centrist candidates. I understand that this may be a difficult concept to grasp, but parties are not uniform collective entities.

Pelosi is really only leader because she was next-in line. If the elections were held by secret ballot she wouldn't have won. Plus, to govern she has to cater to the conservatives and moderates.

Why would the centrists and conservatives elect Pelosi?

Back