Should the man pay on the first date?

cawacko

Was just listening to local talk radio and they had two women on as guests, one a college Republican the other a college Democrat.

The college Republican said she was old fashion and expected the man to pay. The college Democrat said she didn't expect the man to pay.

I don't know how much politics plays a role in how one feels about this issue but I dated quite a bit in liberal San Francisco and I always paid on the first date and I never had a woman demand that she pay instead. Some may nicely offer to do so but never put up a fight if I said I got it.

Curious as to others experiences with this.

When I was single, I usually paid, but I never felt it was entirely the right thing. The only point I can see, I guess, is that the person who does the inviting, the one who proposes the date is asking to take the other one out, and generally the man does the asking.

I was asked out by women a couple of times in my single days, this always impressed me, I like a brave and unconventional woman, the two times I remember this happening, they cooked at home, so I guess they paid.

Let's see what simple good manners would have us do:
Guy asks girl out, so there can be no expectation apart from the company of the young lady (that's right, you don't get to bang her as a result).
If the intent is not a date but a shared experience both would enjoy (movie director you both like, band, art exist etc) then you state it as such.

Sometimes when I was dating, if the woman insisted on paying it was a clear sign that it was going the "friendship" rout.

Was just listening to local talk radio and they had two women on as guests, one a college Republican the other a college Democrat.

The college Republican said she was old fashion and expected the man to pay. The college Democrat said she didn't expect the man to pay.

I don't know how much politics plays a role in how one feels about this issue but I dated quite a bit in liberal San Francisco and I always paid on the first date and I never had a woman demand that she pay instead. Some may nicely offer to do so but never put up a fight if I said I got it.

Curious as to others experiences with this.

Off topic: Did you know that in 2006 when Bush was in the white house and Obama the South American dancing fool was still a few years away from it, disgruntled liberals in San Francisco took up bridge jumping?

Sometimes when I was dating, if the woman insisted on paying it was a clear sign that it was going the "friendship" rout.

Then she told Jarod how much she hated Christmas and the lawyer son of a bitch got down on his knees and begged her to marry him.

.......... on the first date.

When I was single, I usually paid, but I never felt it was entirely the right thing. The only point I can see, I guess, is that the person who does the inviting, the one who proposes the date is asking to take the other one out, and generally the man does the asking.

I was asked out by women a couple of times in my single days, this always impressed me, I like a brave and unconventional woman, the two times I remember this happening, they cooked at home, so I guess they paid.

What if you go out with a lawyer and he spends the entire evening with his slimy hands moving in and out of your pockets?

Should the woman call 911 and have him arrested for molestation and sexual assault or start dating construction workers instead?

Back