Skiing in Virginia, August 29, 2009

grand_opening_pro2.jpg

Whenever I run into a ski snob I ask him about his NASTAR handicap; what's yours? :)
I don't race, I ski. I have skied double diamonds in Taos, Santa Fe, Purgatory, Snow Bird, Wolf Creek and a dozen other places. I have also skied in Killington and Stowe in VT, and while stationed in Germany I skied Kitzbuhl and Galtuer in Austria, the Zugspitz in Germany, Alpe d'Huez in France and St. Moritz in Switzerland. Rocky Mountain skiing is far superior to Eastern US skiing. My ex girl friend from Germany was floored by the quality of skiing available in New Mexico alone and if we had tine I would have blown her mind with Colorado.

I don't race, I ski. I have skied double diamonds in Taos, Santa Fe, Purgatory, Snow Bird, Wolf Creek and a dozen other places. I have also skied in Killington and Stowe in VT, and while stationed in Germany I skied Kitzbuhl and Galtuer in Austria, the Zugspitz in Germany, Alpe d'Huez in France and St. Moritz in Switzerland. Rocky Mountain skiing is far superior to Eastern US skiing. My ex girl friend from Germany was floored by the quality of skiing available in New Mexico alone and if we had tine I would have blown her mind with Colorado.
That's like saying that a Jaguar is a nicer car than a Chevy. Just because you've paid the big bucks doesn't make you a better driver. Folks who golf don't necessarily compete either, but they still have a yardstick to measure their proficiency amongst others. In skiing we have NASTAR, and they have courses set up in many resorts throughout the US, and it will cost you five bucks and five minutes to get handicapped. So until you're willing to fess up with an actual number that defines your level of expertise, I'll simply assume that you like to travel, spend money, and make an occasional slow run down some blue groomers. :)

I ski because it is what I do, not because I am competitive. People who think that NASTAR ranking means they have skied in the best of slopes simply haven't been to Keystone, or Taos Ski Valley, or Snowbird, or Alta, or Arapahoe Basin, etc. It isn't their fault that they haven't skied on the best slopes, it is their fault that they do not listen to those who have skied those slopes as well as the "best" Vermont has to offer and have found Vermont wanting.

I ski because it is what I do, not because I am competitive. People who think that NASTAR ranking means they have skied in the best of slopes simply haven't been to Keystone, or Taos Ski Valley, or Snowbird, or Alta, or Arapahoe Basin, etc. It isn't their fault that they haven't skied on the best slopes, it is their fault that they do not listen to those who have skied those slopes as well as the "best" Vermont has to offer and have found Vermont wanting.
No dude you and I just like to travel and spend money. But just for comparison, here is a trail map for Taos. Southerman you post a trail map of one of those east coast Ski Areas and we can all compare.
nm10tm01p.jpg

That's like saying that a Jaguar is a nicer car than a Chevy. Just because you've paid the big bucks doesn't make you a better driver. Folks who golf don't necessarily compete either, but they still have a yardstick to measure their proficiency amongst others. In skiing we have NASTAR, and they have courses set up in many resorts throughout the US, and it will cost you five bucks and five minutes to get handicapped. So until you're willing to fess up with an actual number that defines your level of expertise, I'll simply assume that you like to travel, spend money, and make an occasional slow run down some blue groomers. :)
I took up golf late in life when I started College in 92. I have never figured a handicap. Not even sure if I know off hand how to go about it. I go out with 3 other guys at least once a month and we play a dollar a hole. We drink beer, smoke cigars and have a good time. That is how I ski too, though I have skied since 1975 and am, in the scheme of things better at that. I actually lived in Ruidoso NM in 5th grade and every wednesday was ski day during the season. We would go up to Sierra Blanca, eat lunch and ski half day. Then my mom moved to Santa Fe NM and I would go skiing there 8-10 times a year and we would also go to Taos, or Purgatory or Wolf Creek. I don't go as much any more but still go 4 times a year. I have basically skied for the last 34 years of my life, so I am not the occasional blue run skier.

No one that I know has ever equated NASTAR racing with "best slopes"; in fact its done on intermediate level terrain. Its simply a way to compare skiers, apples to apples. And its a good way to shut up ski snobs who insist that skiing on anything less than 12,000 feet elevation ain't skiing.

No dude you and I just like to travel and spend money. But just for comparison, here is a trail map for Taos. Southerman you post a trail map of one of those east coast Ski Areas and we can all compare.
Dude we're not comparing some place you've been with some place I've been but your ability to get down it with speed and grace. At my local hill I can get 25,000 verts in a day then be back home in time for dinner. Since it is so close I'm there every weekend for four months of the year, that is when we're not racing at the USSA level at other local venues. I know all the coaches there and have trained with three former Olympians as well as several nationally ranked skiers. Last year I started in a third league and our team picked up a sponsor.

For two of the last three years I've taken the family to the big resorts for spring break. We've been to Breck, A-Basin, Keystone, Stowe and Smuggler's Notch. This next spring we're going to Squaw Valley. My son and I have met up with local instructors and they routinely tell us that we're skiing way above any level that they can train us. We love telling folks that our home hill is in North Carolina, watch them smirk with some wise-ass comment like you did. We've had several do some great wipe-outs trying to keep up with us.

Oh lookie another ski snob. What's your handicap? :)

What's my handicap?

I've skied real mountains and find pimples covered with fake snow to be a joke?

Seriously, I knock it, but I'd be there if it was the only place I had to go, and I imagine it's gentle slope might make learning easier for beginners.

I was checking out the pix from the hill, and I was wondering how bad of a case of "road rash" would you get if you fell down while skiing on that fake stuff?

No one that I know has ever equated NASTAR racing with "best slopes"; in fact its done on intermediate level terrain. Its simply a way to compare skiers, apples to apples. And its a good way to shut up ski snobs who insist that skiing on anything less than 12,000 feet elevation ain't skiing.
Except it isn't. Those people are pointing out that the best slopes are all in places that are well above that elevation. You are trying to "prove" that your NASTAR ranking elevates your ski area above those that are far superior. Just an FYI, it doesn't.

Now take your supposed NASTAR handicap and get out on some real slopes for once.

What's my handicap?

I've skied real mountains and find pimples covered with fake snow to be a joke?

Seriously, I knock it, but I'd be there if it was the only place I had to go, and I imagine it's gentle slope might make learning easier for beginners.

I was checking out the pix from the hill, and I was wondering how bad of a case of "road rash" would you get if you fell down while skiing on that fake stuff?
I haven't skied it- yet. Since its only a three hour car ride and open during months when real skiing ain't happening I can see it as a place to test new gear or simply to keep the ski legs from getting too rusty. If you're worried about road rash perhaps you better stick to the beginner area or just stay home. *shrug*

Back