Skiing in Virginia, August 29, 2009

Except it isn't. Those people are pointing out that the best slopes are all in places that are well above that elevation. You are trying to "prove" that your NASTAR ranking elevates your ski area above those that are far superior. Just an FYI, it doesn't.

Now take your supposed NASTAR handicap and get out on some real slopes for once.
Bullshit. The only thing that I'm interested in proving, and quite clearly, is that the hill does not make the skier. In fact Buck Hill, MN, with a vertical drop of 309 ft, has developed a huge number of champion skiers, including three Olympians.

I haven't skied it- yet. Since its only a three hour car ride and open during months when real skiing ain't happening I can see it as a place to test new gear or simply to keep the ski legs from getting too rusty. If you're worried about road rash perhaps you better stick to the beginner area or just stay home. *shrug*

Now that I think about it, road rash probably isn't a problem. No one probably attains enough speed sliding down the "hill" to suffer any.

Depending on the weather in Colo, one can get in some fantastic skiing until late May or early June, so I'll leave the little bunny hill skiing to you and your fellow East Coasters. I found other activities to occupy my time for the three or four months a year Colorado doesn't have enough snow for skiing.

Ooooh hark at Franz Klammers and Jean-Claude Killys comparing the size of their hillocks.

You ladies can shove your poncy handicaps and your big gay mountains up your dirty great super-G spots.

I'm telling you now. You haven't lived until you've been down here.
06072314.jpg

using nothing but one of these
plastic-bag.jpg

Skiers? I shit 'em.

Bullshit. The only thing that I'm interested in proving, and quite clearly, is that the hill does not make the skier. In fact Buck Hill, MN, with a vertical drop of 309 ft, has developed a huge number of champion skiers, including three Olympians.

They STARTED there, and then went on to more challenging hills as their skills increased. Nobody trains for the Olympics on a hill w/309 ft of vertical drop.

Now that I think about it, road rash probably isn't a problem. No one probably attains enough speed sliding down the "hill" to suffer any.

Depending on the weather in Colo, one can get in some fantastic skiing until late May or early June, so I'll leave the little bunny hill skiing to you and your fellow East Coasters. I found other activities to occupy my time for the three or four months a year Colorado doesn't have enough snow for skiing.
So with 8 or 9 months a year on some of the worlds great ski areas you must have developed some awesome abilities. What's your NASTAR handicap? Are you in the Gold division, or did they elevate you to Platinum?

So with 8 or 9 months a year on some of the worlds great ski areas you must have developed some awesome abilities. What's your NASTAR handicap? Are you in the Gold division, or did they elevate you to Platinum?

I'm sure I wouldn't qualify for either division. Never got any better than above average. I can barely get down a black diamond run without stopping numerous times to choose my line.

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/files/Alyeska/atrailmap_hires.pdf

Alyeska second steepest slope in USA, 300 vertical drop! My son says the trails in Colorado are nice and slow!

Try skiing this on hard pack. Most Colorado skiers wouldn't dare! Last year's USSA championships were on Tom Terrific.

...the only double black diamond south of Shay’s Revenge. To prevent newbees from accidentally venturing onto this trail, the run was fully roped off. I actually had to ski through a gate with a big “Experts Only” sign over it to access the trail. I peered over the lip of the run and looked down. Before me stood a steep, 60 percent drop with almost no recovery zone at the bottom. To exit the trail, you make a quick left turn at the bottom onto Switchback or else you eat wood. Two rather pale looking boarders standing next to me, said, “You first dude!” Never one to ignore a challenge, I pushed off. I cut some pretty conservative first turns and then let it rip at the end. This proved to be a mistake because there is small lip at the end which launched me into the air. I had to cut a very hard turn at the end to avoid hitting the line of trees at the bottom.

I skied Whoopdedoo several more times and then headed for Tom Terrific and Boulder Dash. These two black trails took a slightly less steep path down the mountain, but were nice and narrow, limiting your options and actually making for tougher skiing than the wider Whoopdedoo. True to Boulder Dash’s name, the trail actually skirts around some boulders, giving it an interesting alpine flavor...
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=701&mode=headlines

Funny, you call people ski snobs for doing just what you are doing.

I skied VT and had a great time. But I have no illusions that I was at the best place to ski.

How many times did you face-plant? Those over the tips face plants as viewed from the chair lift are truly awesome.

The difference, of course, is that you can't buy expertise; you have to earn it.

How many times did you face-plant? Those over the tips face plants as viewed from the chair lift are truly awesome.

The difference, of course, is that you can't buy expertise; you have to earn it.

I had fun. I face-planted once and still had fun. I have no intention of spending the time or effort to become an expert on downhill skiing. If I had my choice I would cross-country ski more often. But considering the snowfall in Alabama is pitiful at best, I'll stick to other hobbies and interests.

I had fun. I face-planted once and still had fun. I have no intention of spending the time or effort to become an expert on downhill skiing. If I had my choice I would cross-country ski more often. But considering the snowfall in Alabama is pitiful at best, I'll stick to other hobbies and interests.
That's the point- it's a sport that takes a tremendous amount of dedication to get it right. Not at all like buying an airplane ticket and going to St. Moritz, then snobbishly reporting that anything else isn't really skiing.

That's the point- it's a sport that takes a tremendous amount of dedication to get it right. Not at all like buying an airplane ticket and going to St. Moritz, then snobbishly reporting that anything else isn't really skiing.

Except some who posted about the western skiing live out there.

Does someone saying "anything else isn't really skiing" changeyour enjoyment of the sport?

Actually I took the train from Augsburg Germany to St. Moritz, drove to Kitzbuhl and the Zugspitz. All while a corporal in the US Army. Matter of fact the ONLY place I have ever purchased a plane ticket to go skiing was Utah. Snowbird is, in my opinion one of the best ski areas anywhere. 500+ inches of dry powder snow a year. I don't anyone that thinks skiing blue ice is good skiing.

Actually I took the train from Augsburg Germany to St. Moritz, drove to Kitzbuhl and the Zugspitz. All while a corporal in the US Army. Matter of fact the ONLY place I have ever purchased a plane ticket to go skiing was Utah. Snowbird is, in my opinion one of the best ski areas anywhere. 500+ inches of dry powder snow a year. I don't anyone that thinks skiing blue ice is good skiing.

Alta, Snowbird and the rest in Utah are becoming like Aspen and Vail were 25 years ago.

Before I moved to "hell", a.k.a. East Texas, I loved the smaller places like Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Crested Butte,Steamboat Springs, etc.

I spent a year in Oregon in the shadow of Mt Hood and it sounds like the skiing SM is describing is what they had up there. Totally frozen sheets of ice in the morning and when the sun finally hits the "snow" it starts melting and turns the whole hill into one giant "slushie"

Alta, Snowbird and the rest in Utah are becoming like Aspen and Vail were 25 years ago.

Before I moved to "hell", a.k.a. East Texas, I loved the smaller places like Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Crested Butte,Steamboat Springs, etc.

I spent a year in Oregon in the shadow of Mt Hood and it sounds like the skiing SM is describing is what they had up there. Totally frozen sheets of ice in the morning and when the sun finally hits the "snow" it starts melting and turns the whole hill into one giant "slushie"
Telluride...

Back