Slate: "Massachusetts Best State in the Nation" :D

It must be because of all of the right wing and libertarian economic and social policies the right wing governor and state officeholders instituted there.

And most of the world. According to a 2011 Harvard study, while reading proficiency in Mississippi is comparable to Russia or Bulgaria, Massachusetts performs more like Singapore, Japan, or South Korea. Often better: Massachusetts students rank fifth in the world in reading, lapping Singapore and Japan, and needless to say, every state in the union. In math, Massachusetts slots in a global ninth, ahead of Japan and Germany.

I love how every article that talks up mass simultaneously bashes mississippi. :)

Massachusetts has the nation’s highest level of first-trimester prenatal care, and the third-lowest infant mortality rate (Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Missouri are about 50 percent higher). It also has the second-highest rate of child access to both medical and dental care, the nation’s lowest child mortality rate, and the lowest teen deathrate.

he birthplace of Dunkin’ Donuts has the sixth-lowest obesity rate. And depending on the source, the first state to legalize gay marriage has either the lowest or one of the very lowest divorce rates in the country.

So what economic sacrifices is Massachusetts making to achieve such extraordinary educational and social outcomes?

None, apparently. Massachusetts has the second-highest per capita personal income among the states. Unemployment in March was 6.5 percent, well below the national 8.2 percent.

More surprising, perhaps, is CNBC’s indexof America’s top states for business. This is a calculus so ruthlessly focused on corporate competitiveness that it marked states down for high union membership. Massachusetts came in sixth. Not bad for the People’s Republic.

there is too much good stuff to post, sorry for spamming this post with all the good facts about massachusetts

That is why I am a liberal when it comes to State government. Solid red States look like third world countries compared to Mass, Washington, Rhode Island, etc. Liberalism works pretty well on a smaller scale.

texas is ranked like 36 in the human development index. what are you talking about? texas sucks. it's also like... middle of the pack to bottom 1/4th in almost every category
the bullshit org that came up with this little map is just biased. i've lived here for 15 years and it's just not like that.

That is why I am a liberal when it comes to State government. Solid red States look like third world countries compared to Mass, Washington, Rhode Island, etc. Liberalism works pretty well on a smaller scale.

Most blue states have a relatively even distribution of ideology according to wealth. In Massachusettes, the rich are little more conservative than the poor. In a place like Mississippi, on the other hand, ideology is extremely wealth dependent.

Uhh D.C. is #3 in this map....not a good indication of actual value (in any category).

The map gives DC higher "median earnings" than Massachusettes, and gives it by far the greatest education index out of any state (about 1 point higher than Connecticut). Then again, life expectancy is 75, around what you see in Mississippi.

I actually think income in DC is relatively high, mainly due to the fact that the federal government is based there. DC's GDP per capita, for instance, is 150k a year. Of course, those figures don't really water down well to normal people who live there - it makes me wonder if they're simply adding federal tax revenue to the Districts GDP.

Last edited:
The map gives DC higher "median earnings" than Massachusettes, and gives it by far the greatest education index out of any state (about 1 point higher than Connecticut). Then again, life expectancy is 75, around what you see in Mississippi.

I actually think income in DC is relatively high, mainly due to the fact that the federal government is based there. DC's GDP per capita, for instance, is 150k a year. Of course, those figures don't really water down well to normal people who liver there - it makes me wonder if they're simply adding federal tax revenue to the Districts GDP.

Not to mention cost of living, and general crime rate per capita. D.C. at the top of anything that isn't violent is a failure of a list.

White men in the District of Columbia:

ZDzTH.png

That explains it. It's the congressman, staffers, federal workers and such who push the District way up in the metric.

White men in Mississippi:

NTgcx.png

:(

That's just sad. All the trappings of privilige and we still fail here.

Last edited:
Back