So,....what are your thoughts on.....SPAM? Eating spam, not junk email...LOL

Stone

Contributor
My wife pretty much has an emergency food store section in part of our basement. Hey,... whatever she wants man,...no big deal to me. :laugh: I tried some today just for the heck of it. I remember it being a big deal back in the 70's.

Sliced thinly, and fried darkly,...its not half bad on a sandwich. But any other way? Nope,...not me.

My wife pretty much has an emergency food store section in part of our basement. Hey,... whatever she wants man,...no big deal to me. :laugh: I tried some today just for the heck of it. I remember it being a big deal back in the 70's.

Sliced thinly, and fried darkly,...its not half bad on a sandwich. But any other way? Nope,...not me.

They have improved it a lot since. I remember when I was a kid, it gave me an headache.

Good for apocalypse and post-apocalypse scenarios.

I remember a M*A*S*H episode where this chef could make a gourmet out of spam.

For survivalists in any scenario I mentioned and the Zombie Apocalypse, Spam is a necessary alongside with others like MREs, flour, yeast, canned goods and so many things. They last long time. No need to refrigerate.

Also do it the Indian way: cook meat, dry them and salt them like beef jerky. They'll last long.

Sorry Stone for making it a survivalist topic. ;)

Another Zombie Apocalypse survivalist tip: Get a shopping cart. Very easy to grill. Those carts are everywhere.

I never cared for it till I worked at the Munich DFAC 90-92. The Germans who ran it with the assist of the E-7 who was in charge of the contract were stealing food from the solders and instead were delivering it to a restaurant. Three times a week the company van would go to Augsburg to get the food from TISA and then on the way back off load a bunch of it at the restaurant. We cooks were then expected to serve the soldiers something that they would not complain about with about 15-20% of the food value missing. We would get very cheap ingredients and then make them work. Now at the time Spam was much cheaper than ham, and so the omelets were spam and cheese not ham and cheese as they were supposed to be. They grew on me.

I currently have two cans in the pantry. THey will go into eggs, with cheese, onion, Jalapenos and maybe a few other things. Green Pepper is nice. I never get the low salt, and I never get flavored Spam.

Those packets will give you enough for a dinner just under $1. Maybe 8 crackers with mustard. That's it.

y44yIk1.jpg

Spam is great. Yea ots not the best thing for you
But it sure isnt bad. Spam treat corned beef hash etc.
They all provide a good bit of salt and fat . lots of energy but you will need more water.lots of differnt flavors expecially 8n Hawaiian stores.
Cheap f8nd it in any store easy to stack and a long shelf life basically if its not contaminationed or the seal broken they can last for a decade or more I replace my small stock ever 3 years. Great barter 8tem .
Stone its a good product and great emergency food.
O yes people think spam is lops and ass holes its not nothing but ham and pork shoulder .

Spam is great. Yea ots not the best thing for you
But it sure isnt bad. Spam treat corned beef hash etc.
They all provide a good bit of salt and fat . lots of energy but you will need more water.lots of differnt flavors expecially 8n Hawaiian stores.
Cheap f8nd it in any store easy to stack and a long shelf life basically if its not contaminationed or the seal broken they can last for a decade or more I replace my small stock ever 3 years. Great barter 8tem .
Stone its a good product and great emergency food.
O yes people think spam is lops and ass holes its not nothing but ham and pork shoulder .

Corned-Beef-Hash-and-Eggs_exps5360_TH.CW1973175A05_03_3b_RMS.jpg

Get the low sodium, because that stuff is hella salty!

I find it an unhealthy guilty pleasure. I’ve made faux sushi rolls with fried rice and spam, nori and spicy Mayo. Was really tasty. Diced and fried it makes for a pretty good fried rice too. I’ve also replaced bacon with diced fried Spam in spaghetti carbonara which was actually pretty good but not as good as using pancetta or bacon.

Back