So,....what are your thoughts on.....SPAM? Eating spam, not junk email...LOL

I find it an unhealthy guilty pleasure. I’ve made faux sushi rolls with fried rice and spam, nori and spicy Mayo. Was really tasty. Diced and fried it makes for a pretty good fried rice too. I’ve also replaced bacon with diced fried Spam in spaghetti carbonara which was actually pretty good but not as good as using pancetta or bacon.

fried Spam in spaghetti carbonara o NO iM A HILLBILLY AND WOULD NEVER DO THAT LOL eVERY WHOP ON THE BOARD IS CRYING OVER THE THOUGHT OF IT LOL

Tried Spam one time...just a few years ago, in fact. Damn near gagged. It had an unpleasant taste to me when I put it into my mouth...and had an unpleasant aftertaste.

I guess some people like it.

I do not.

My earlier comment on Spam reminded me of a Shit on a Shingle story I've told many times.

When I first went into service, they would have SoS at least once a week. On those days I had to be careful of my conduct, because the very look of SoS used to make me want to vomit. To me, it looked like they fed beef, milk and cream to a cow...kicked it in the stomach...and what was thrown up became the SoS.

After a couple of years in service, I decided one morning to give it a shot. Took a serving on my tray, sat down...picked up a tiny fork full...and fell in love with it. Almost instantly. It was delicious. I was able to find out when it was on the morning menu...and made sure to go to the chow hall on those days.

Things do change. I doubt it ever will for me with Spam, because there is no way I will ever try it again.

My wife pretty much has an emergency food store section in part of our basement. Hey,... whatever she wants man,...no big deal to me. :laugh: I tried some today just for the heck of it. I remember it being a big deal back in the 70's.

Sliced thinly, and fried darkly,...its not half bad on a sandwich. But any other way? Nope,...not me.

I think I'd rather starve.

My Mom, back in the day, was a pretty resourceful provider and cook.

I remember we used to have Spam occasionally, and we loved it.

However my mom would bake it like a ham with the diagonal cut marks across the top, and she used a Mustard and Brown sugar glaze- with cloves.

Of course my Dad would ask- Where's the Beans?

But, he would even ask this if we were having Spaghetti and Meatballs! LOL!

they have turkey spam now......is it still really spam?.....
203051634075df23ac6522b011769fd9_large.png

I made some out of a wild hog a buddy of mine killed a while back. My homemade stuff is even better than the original, IMO. The next time I make some (probably the next time I get a wild hog) I’m going to pressure can it instead of freezing it.

Spam is half cured ham and half fresh pork, ground and mixed with some spices and salt. I cured the hams off the wild hog myself then proceeded with the preparation. I documented it on Facebook…I mean, doesn’t everyone? ;)

Back