So what is the weirdest food you ever tried?

Where did you get the sea turtle? That's protected in the U.S.

At a seafood buffet in the Florida Keys (Islamorada) back in the 70's.

Might have been fresh water turtle.

Long time ago.

I just remember it was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Was that worse than ILA's dick or about the same?

album.php

:tombushes:

My dad thought he might have inadvertantly eaten dog while stationed in Bangkok back in the 60's.

He and some buddies were in a bar drinking beer. This kid was going from table to table with a hibachi and chunks of skewered meat that my dad assumed was beef. So he paid the kid, waited for him to barbeque it and ate it.

After he was finished, his buddies started laughing and barking then told him it was dog. He was never sure if they were kidding or not.

My dad thought he might have inadvertantly eaten dog while stationed in Bangkok back in the 60's.

He and some buddies were in a bar drinking beer. This kid was going from table to table with a hibachi and chunks of skewered meat that my dad assumed was beef. So he paid the kid, waited for him to barbeque it and ate it.

After he was finished, his buddies started laughing and barking then told him it was dog. He was never sure if they were kidding or not.

It is still a custom in the region. In China they are still having dog meat festivals. I can't believe we are doing business with these bastards.

None of this stuff is weird to me but here goes. I eat a lot of squirrel. My 3 person family probably consumes about 40-60 per year. I eat rabbit, deer (just had that for supper), quail, duck, crawdads and frog legs on a regular basis. I also eat the occasional elk, antelope, pheasant and grouse. I like to hunt and provide. It's that "field to the table" thing I was discussing the other day.

We were taught to eat what we killed. My mom had an agreement with us boys: "If you kill it and clean it I will cook it for you." Over the years I have eaten meadowlarks and blackbirds (days of running around with a BB gun), rattlesnake, armadillo (tastes quite good ... very porkish .. but I worry about safety), beaver, bear (some good, some bad), bobcat, raccoon, and probably some other critters that I've forgotten.

When I was a kid and helped the ranchers around here work calves I'd show up with a couple of ice cream buckets. Not much better than some mountain oysters after a hard day of working cattle.

The above confession is probably why I'm overweight. There's not much that I don't like. The only thing my mom cooked that I couldn't bring myself to try was a possum. She cooked one for my older brother. Every time I started to take a bite I visualized the possum crawling out of the back end of a dead, bloated cow. Couldn't do it.

Edit: I forgot to add that I eat the occasional soft shell turtle too...if he has the misfortune of getting on one of my hooks.

Last edited:
Never tried but always wanted to. Tried squirrel hunting in college with no luck.
What's squirrel comparable to?

Kind of like chicken thigh but somewhat tougher. I fry it like chicken most of the time and have techniques for making tougher ones tender. It is by far my favorite wild game.

Kind of like chicken thigh but somewhat tougher. I fry it like chicken most of the time and have techniques for making tougher ones tender. It is by far my favorite wild game.
I've had moose burgers. Very tasty.
My favorite game meat is the backstrap of whitetail deer but the moose burger is right up there.

lutefisk must be the hardest thing to cook.
Done properly it is white not grey, I would never eat grey food.

Too bad my father died. He knew how to cook lutefisk and make head cheese and pigs feet, pickled herring and many other delicacies.

My personal favorite food is fried oysters, clams, scallops, or venison.

Too bad my father died. He knew how to cook lutefisk and make head cheese and pigs feet, pickled herring and many other delicacies.

Sorry about your Dad. They leave a huge gap when they are gone, don't they?

Pickled herring with baked potatoes, now that is something to write home about.

Cap, you and I have been eating that since birth. Never ever get tired of it. Good taste Cap!

Back