southernman's happiest day

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
The top 10 in this year's "America's Favorite Movie Star" Harris Poll (with last year's rank in parenthesis) is as follows:

1. Clint Eastwood (2)
2. Johnny Depp (8)
3. Denzel Washington (1)
4. Sandra Bullock (not ranked)
5. Tom Hanks (7)
6. George Clooney (not ranked)
7. John Wayne (3)
8. Meryl Streep (not ranked)
9. Morgan Freeman (9)
10. Julia Roberts (6)

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-johnny-depp-no-2.html

actually, thats impressive, if of course, this poll actually means anything

The top 10 in this year's "America's Favorite Movie Star" Harris Poll (with last year's rank in parenthesis) is as follows:

1. Clint Eastwood (2)
2. Johnny Depp (8)
3. Denzel Washington (1)
4. Sandra Bullock (not ranked)
5. Tom Hanks (7)
6. George Clooney (not ranked)
7. John Wayne (3)
8. Meryl Streep (not ranked)
9. Morgan Freeman (9)
10. Julia Roberts (6)

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-johnny-depp-no-2.html

actually, thats impressive, if of course, this poll actually means anything

Sandra Bullock has one good performance (Blind Side) and she is number 4? Give me a break...

Clooney is a horrid actor. He is the Jessica Alba for women. Eye candy only.... no talent.

Sandra Bullock has one good performance (Blind Side) and she is number 4? Give me a break...

Clooney is a horrid actor. He is the Jessica Alba for women. Eye candy only.... no talent.

I agree with what you say about Clooney and Bullock.

I also think any Top 10 list of actors that does not include Dustin Hoffman, John Travolta, James Stewart or Sir Lawrence Olivier cannot be considered much of a list.

I agree with what you say about Clooney and Bullock.

I also think any Top 10 list of actors that does not include Dustin Hoffman, John Travolta, James Stewart or Sir Lawrence Olivier cannot be considered much of a list.

You'll have to talk to the American public about that.

Thinking about it a bit more, I am not sure John Wayne should be on the list of Top 10 Actors.

Don't get me wrong, I love his movies. He was a great entertainer and a great american. But as an actor he was somewhat limited, at least when compared to the others on my list. He didn't show the range of characters that make someone a great actor.

You're clearly intimidated by his manliness.

Intimidated by his manliness? Are you actually saying that? :palm:

The topic is acting. John Wayne was a great entertainer, but he never had the range of characters that mark a great actor.

His manliness has nothing to do with it.

Thinking about it a bit more, I am not sure John Wayne should be on the list of Top 10 Actors.

Don't get me wrong, I love his movies. He was a great entertainer and a great american. But as an actor he was somewhat limited, at least when compared to the others on my list. He didn't show the range of characters that make someone a great actor.

I would agree.... after thinking about it some more... my top ten in no particular order... (it is really hard to pick just ten)...

1) Robert De Niro
2) Morgan Freeman
3) Denzel Washington
4) Katherine Hepburn
5) Meryl Streep
6) Jack Nicholson
7) Clint Eastwood
8) Laurence Olivier
9) Jimmy Stewart
10) Johnny Depp

Next ten....

1) Will Smith
2) Marlon Brando
3) Audrey Hepburn
4) Anthony Hopkins
5) Paul Newman
6) Dustin Hoffman
7) Harrison Ford
8) Julia Roberts
9) Bette Davis
10) Gregory Peck

Intimidated by his manliness? Are you actually saying that? :palm:

The topic is acting. John Wayne was a great entertainer, but he never had the range of characters that mark a great actor.

His manliness has nothing to do with it.

Finally, in 1939, he was given the opportunity to show what he could do when Ford cast him as The Ringo Kid in the landmark Western 'Stagecoach'. It was the movie that redefined the Western and showed the depth and range of Wayne's acting abilities.
http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/actors/john_wayne.html

Lemme see: doesn't like John Wayne, supports queer marriage...

Making up "facts" again? If you would point out where I said I didn't like John Wayne, I will be happy to own up to it.

But in fact, I said I loved his movies and consider him a great entertainer and great american.

If you are going to lie, SM, at least do it where the proof of your lies is not 3 posts above it.

I would agree.... after thinking about it some more... my top ten in no particular order... (it is really hard to pick just ten)...

1) Robert De Niro
2) Morgan Freeman
3) Denzel Washington
4) Katherine Hepburn
5) Meryl Streep
6) Jack Nicholson
7) Clint Eastwood
8) Laurence Olivier
9) Jimmy Stewart
10) Johnny Depp

Next ten....

1) Will Smith
2) Marlon Brando
3) Audrey Hepburn
4) Anthony Hopkins
5) Paul Newman
6) Dustin Hoffman
7) Harrison Ford
8) Julia Roberts
9) Bette Davis
10) Gregory Peck

Now that is a list of some of the greatest actors.

An expert in the filed disagrees with your amateur assessment.

"filed" You found an expert in the "filed"? No idea what that means.

The article did not dispute anything I said. I did not say Wayne's acting was bad or one-dimensional. I said "in comparison to...". The article did not compare him to the actors I listed.

Back