SRIRACHA SAUCE - I NEED OPINIONS

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
everyone always talks about how good sriracha hot sauce is.

But my question is, how asian-y does it taste? I don't like asian food and asian flavors that much. I love hot sauce. Should I try some of this sometime?

Fuck yeah. Sriracha is my 2nd favorite pepper sauce, 1st being Franks, 3rd being that shit with the pepper seeds in it that they serve at Pho joints. Haven't been able to find it off the shelf.

Sriracha - makes any soup waaaaaaaaaay better, any noodle dish, anything. Its good everywhere.

Well, flavors are not strictly geographical unless you're programmed to dislike anything associated with that geography. I'f you've already decided that you don't like "Asiany" tasting foods, then simply don't think of it as "Asiany" when you try it.

Because for me, it works on just about all the same foods that Frank's works on. It's fucking tasty. No bueno though if you're having troubles with you asshole. Its a mite unfriendly on the way out if you're unprepared.

fuck it i'll just buy some.

Yep, it's time the moths in your wallet saw the light of day! There are many sauces like that from Thailand, they are mostly intended for dipping but can be added to noodles and soups. So take a walk on the wild side and go asian-y.

Last edited:
Man, Asian food is awesome. I can't give you advice here. Nothing better than a good spicy drunken noodle plate. Hell yeah. I think I'll have my birthday meal at the Thai restaurant this year.

I hate spicy sauce. I'm not a big Asian food eater, myself, but I love the basics of chicken or pork teriyaki, sweet & sour pork, walnut prawns, fried rice...

Man, Asian food is awesome. I can't give you advice here. Nothing better than a good spicy drunken noodle plate. Hell yeah. I think I'll have my birthday meal at the Thai restaurant this year.
I love Thai noodle soups. A meal in a bowl. I always add the Thai chili oil to kick it up a notch.

I hate spicy sauce. I'm not a big Asian food eater, myself, but I love the basics of chicken or pork teriyaki, sweet & sour pork, walnut prawns, fried rice...
Man you need to get out more often. That's really just Americanized Asian food.

I like the way Asians braise meats. My favorite Asian recipes are;

Cantonese Oxtails. Oxtails braised in a soy/ginger/broth braising liquid with lemon grass for seasoning. I get a lot of request for this recipe when I make it.

Kare-Kare. Another oxtail dish made with some tripe, Asian eggplant, bitter melon and braised in a peanut butter sauce.

Caldereta. Goat stewed with asian vegies in a brown gravy.

My mother in-law cooked a huge pot of Mung beans using a goat head for flavor. She simmered those beans with that goat head for hours and it was the best plate of beans I ever ate.

Asian food is almost as good as Mexican food. I also love Native American foods... in CA they make this spicy white sauce that I absolutely have to find a recipe for. It was fantastic...

In fact 3D...invite some hotty over for dinner and lay a plate of this in front of her and I bet she'll propose to you.

Take 4 to 5 lbs of oxtails, cut off excess fat and season with salt and pepper. In a large pot brown them on high heat with some oil. Remove ox tails and place on a plater. Pour oil off and deglaze pot with 1 cup of red wine and let reduce by about half. Add 2 cans beef broth, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 4 x 1/4 inch slices of fresh ginger root, slice up half a bundle of green onions into 2" pieces and add them, then bruise 3 or 4 stems of lemon grass and throw them in. Return the ox tails to the braising liquid on high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and let simmer 3 to 4 hours till ox tails are fall of the bone tender. Remove the oxtails to a casserole dish, cover and put in the Fridge. Strain the braising liquid into a bowl and place in the fridge over night. Throw the strained solids away.

Next day, remove the congealed fat from the braising liquid. The braising liquid should have become a gelatin due to all the connective tissue that's dissolved into it. That's got some awesome flavor! Gently reheat the gelatin in a sauce pan till it becomes a liquid and let it reduce by about half.

Take ox tails from fridge and sprinkle about 8 oz of sliced shitake mushrooms over them. Add reduced braising liquid and cover with foil. Place into preheated over for 30 minutes at 400 deg. Remove foil and reduce heat to 350 and let cook another 30 minutes, occaisonally baisting the ox tails.

Remove oxtails from oven. Squeeze the juice of one lime over them. Dice remaining green onions and garnish oxtails with them.

Serve the ox tail on a generous bed of Thai Jasmine rice with a healthy portion of the sauce and a side of broiled baby Bok Choy. (sprinkle some EVOO on baby bok choy. Broil till starts to carmalize. flip and do same on that side. Remove from broiler, sprinkle a little vinegar and fish sauce then serve).

Last edited:
Asian food is almost as good as Mexican food. I also love Native American foods... in CA they make this spicy white sauce that I absolutely have to find a recipe for. It was fantastic...

I don't have much experience with authentic Mexican food. A Mexican friends wife once made ceveche for me and it was to die for and Mexican friend of my wife made a very nice flan for us once. Other then that I've only ever ate the garden variety Mexican restraunt food.

i put it on so much food, it is not distinctly "asian" as you might think, it is a good robust, slightly smoky pepper with a kick

Back